Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do your dc wear expensive clothes?

(126 Posts)
Openup41 Tue 24-Apr-18 11:45:27

I mainly shop in H&M, Next and supermarkets for my dc who are primary school age. They have one pair of Nike/Adidas trainers at any one time and they are replaced as and when needed. They have enough but not overwhelmingly so. A friend's dc have around 5 to 6 pairs of trainers at any one time and they wear clothes from high end stores. This is the norm for them whereas it would be a luxury for us with our high outgoings.

If we have an occasion, I still buy from Next, H&M but choose their slightly nicer range. As they get older I know they will request more expensive items as dc usually do. I did as a teen. but my dm could not afford Oilily, nafnaf, Kickers and such.

Where do you generally shop for your dc?

tinygirlsmum Tue 24-Apr-18 11:54:51

Mine's younger so still supermarkets, H&M, primark but always look in tk maxx for Nike tracksuits and things like that

Orangedaisy Tue 24-Apr-18 11:58:20

I pretty much only shop in charity shops and also get given a ton of hand me downs for my DDs. DD1 (4) has new Clark’s shoes (1 pair). DD2 (15 months) wears DD1’s old shoes. I’m sure they’ll demand new idc, for now while they don’t care I’ll stick to second hand.

PrimalLass Tue 24-Apr-18 11:59:23

No. But they do wear a lot of Nike because the sale and outlet prices are not much more than the supermarkets.

AlbusPercival Tue 24-Apr-18 12:00:03

Mine wears frugi, maxomorra and polarn I pyret

Atticusss Tue 24-Apr-18 12:01:01

I shop for kids clothes ethically, which either means paying a lot for the high end ethical brands, such as Frugi, Maxomorra, Little Green Radicals, or buying second hand from Facebook groups, eBay or charity shops. I buy a lot of clothes handmade from Instagram shops, I prefer to support small UK business than Nike, Primark etc

Whitelisbon Tue 24-Apr-18 12:01:26

Mine all wear supermarket stuff, few bits from Primark, bought 2 of them new shoes from asda the other day.
The 15 year old loves Primark, she has a few more expensive bits, a pair of Adidas trainers, couple of Adidas tops, that sort of thing, but, in the main, her and her friends are happy to compare and swap their Primark bargains. They also like a trail round the charity shops.

InDubiousBattle Tue 24-Apr-18 12:03:05

Mine are 2 and 4 and I buy clothes from the supermarket and charity shops. Dd gets lots of hand me downs from my friend and she buys lot more clothes for her dd than I do for mine! I spend money on a good water proof coat for them and decent shoes becasue we do lots of walking. Although dd's last water proof coat was a tenner from Lidl! Shoes are Clarks or Geox so £40-50 a time but they have one main pair at a time, plus wellies and sandles in the summer.

Mummypants40 Tue 24-Apr-18 12:04:29

Does it matter? I buy a fair bit of Boden, but they also have a lot of M&S, John Lewis, Asda and Sainsbury’s stuff. I am not sure I’d recognise designer kids’ gear if I saw it, I buy things they look nice in and they invariably get wrecked at nursery or school in fast time!

Trialsmum Tue 24-Apr-18 12:05:15

Ds (8) wears a mix. He likes surf/skate/bike brands like Vans, DCs, Fox, Bench etc and Adidas for trainers but he wears shorts etc from Primark. He only likes skinny jeans and his super skinny himself so he has to have slim fit super skinnies from Next. He’s a massive fan of caps so has tons in brands that don’t do children’s clothing like Oakley and Alpine Stars.

BertieBotts Tue 24-Apr-18 12:05:47

Cheap things. DS1 is 9 and is starting to care but doesn't really know brands except for shoes. But he's so fussy about the fit of shoes that I am reluctant to shell out a lot for them.

I do look in tk Maxx but there's not a lot of nice things for his age group. I got him a designer hoody there actually for about €12 and it's all bobbled in the wash! So I'm not too impressed and would probably stick with the cheap things as they mostly work fine. I'm happy with second hand clothes for him as well.

TeenTimesTwo Tue 24-Apr-18 12:07:51

I see no point in buying expensive clothes or shoes for DC who are still growing. I'd rather spend the money on experiences, holidays or whatever, or save it.
Other people will have different priorities and if they can afford it then that's fine.

halfwitpicker Tue 24-Apr-18 12:08:17

Lots of handmedowns at ours, luckily a lot of these are luxury branded stuff.

If I'm buying I buy mostly supermarkets stuff. Always buy Geox shoes though.

HairyToity Tue 24-Apr-18 12:12:22

Supermarket or hand me downs except for shoes. Occasionally buy an expensive winter coat, or something special for a family wedding.

theveryhighlife Tue 24-Apr-18 12:13:56

We are a bit of a mix here. Two DC are in primary school. We get lots of gorgeous hand me down bits from their cousins. Usually joules, Boden and so on. I tend to buy them some fun/bright bits and bobs from outside of the U.K. when I'm on my work travels.
If I buy in the U.K. is usually from John Lewis - because it's convenient.

NorbertTheDragon Tue 24-Apr-18 12:14:44

Mine are older (4 teens and a 10 yo) None of them are into fashion. Clothes are mainly from Primark and H&M. I used to get lots from BHS too (still have them to hand down)

Oldest has "geeky" t-shirts from Qwertee and that sort of online shop.

Shoes wise they have school shoes, trainers and walking boots.

Titsywoo Tue 24-Apr-18 12:16:37

No since they are still growing. DD (13) loves H&M anyway and DS (11) couldn't care less.

DairyisClosed Tue 24-Apr-18 12:24:28

After some experimentation we only buy John Lewis, Asda (hit and miss), joules (for the fleece jumpers), Clarks for shoes and, gap (for trousers). Oh and some brands only available in Australia. Everything we have bought so from tesco, primary, next, h&m, M&S and, sainsbury's hasn't lasted long enough for both of them to wear it. They each have one type of shoes each (trainers, wellies, sandals, smart black shoes). Ultimately it us cheaper to spend a little more if it lasts for both of them than buying twice. Also less stressful. We buy 70% at end of season clearance and store it for the year ahead, are gifted 20% and the other 10% are top ups that we buy throughput the year.

DairyisClosed Tue 24-Apr-18 12:26:16

As they get older and more gentle with clothing we have just started buying less rather than compromising in quality.

NerrSnerr Tue 24-Apr-18 12:27:25

Mine are young and wear hand me downs, charity shop and eBay stuff and underwear/ basics from the supermarket. My MIL occasionally gets us Debenhams clothes for them. I know it’ll change as they get leer but I’ll keep my eye out for EBay/ charity shop bargains as well.

formerbabe Tue 24-Apr-18 12:30:17

My ds is 10. He is starting to get fussy about clothes but that's more about the style rather than brands. He has stuff from h&m and primark...he chooses the stuff himself. His favourite trainers are his plain, black, unbranded ones. The only thing he cares about being branded are his football boots.

My DD is 7...i get her stuff from primark, h and m, supermarkets etc. Her main criteria when choosing clothes is glitter and unicorns grin

I see no need to spend a fortune on kids clothes. The high street and supermarkets have great stuff. Plus, they grow so quickly and so much stuff ends up stained.

foxyfemke Tue 24-Apr-18 12:30:46

I like buying Frugi and the like in the sale, as I love the clothes and the ethics and on the whole it really lasts.

But mostly my son lives in H&M, Next, UK supermarkets (when we're over or we get given stuff as we're outside the UK).

I do buy quality shoes, again I try to look for sales as shoes over here are SO expensive.

converseandjeans Tue 24-Apr-18 12:32:57

When they were little although we had very little cash it seemed to work out just as cheap to wait for 30% Gap or a Boden flash sale. I also used to ask for nice stuff as bday gifts e.g. coat/PJs. I did find the nicer stuff washed and lasted much longer. Neither of mine were messy though & would rarely get scuffed knees or loads of stains on their clothes. I used to sell stuff on Ebay that was still in good condition. I found Sainsbury's/Tesco stuff was false economy as it wouldn't last more than a few washes without looking tatty.
No way would they have loads of pairs of trainers etc. or more than they needed though.

Mominatrix Tue 24-Apr-18 12:37:59

I have always bought higher end children's clothes for my eldest DS because it was always my intention that they would pass on down to my younger DS and then to my DNephew if they wanted them. Not designer stuff, but Hackett, Petit Bateau, J Crew, Boden, Jacardi, and RalphLauren.

Elder DS is now into "hype beast" clothes (Supreme, Babe, Off White, etc) which is shockingly expensive, but luckily he has an uncle in the fashion industry who gifts him these things. Phew!

Mominatrix Tue 24-Apr-18 12:38:29

Bape, not Babe!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: