Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

BUIlder just hit me with a Bill £500 more than he quoted.

(29 Posts)
JamesDelayneysTattoos Mon 23-Apr-18 19:24:51

That’s it basically. Got a message. Lads have done X, unfortunately I hadn’t allowed for vehicle hire and they needed more of X so bill is ( £500 more than he quoted).

Thing is, I went with him as I didn’t have enough money to do the grade A job that I really wanted. His bill means I’m now paying only £700 less than the grade A build. If I’d known this would happen I’d have waited until I could afford the full monty.

I don’t have the £500, I’ve told him, he said pay it off over the next few months. I won’t have it then either.

He’s a friends husband so awkward.

TinyPawz Mon 23-Apr-18 19:34:03

So he gave initial quote for job, you agreed and now he is trying to get extra 500? I would be inclined to tell him to go jump. However is the job totally finished? He could down tools until you paid.

Either way it probably will make things very difficult with friend

Haffdonga Mon 23-Apr-18 19:37:51

Check what your contact says. Was the original figure a 'quote' (that's what it should cost) or an 'estimate' (i.e. in the ballpark of) ?

HerRoyalNotness Mon 23-Apr-18 19:39:55

What did he use the vehicle for, and can you estimate how much of material x he used on your job? Ask for the receipts to back up his bill.

DairyisClosed Mon 23-Apr-18 19:41:58

Unfortunately this is quite common. You have to write your own contract explicitly prohibiting this kind of thing for that reason.

Judashascomeintosomemoney Mon 23-Apr-18 19:42:17

Oh was going to say same as Haff. Quote or estimate? Because of the awkward situation, you could offer to split the difference?

strawberrypenguin Mon 23-Apr-18 19:43:25

Have you got a written quote? Did he tell you the job might cost more?

Smeddum Mon 23-Apr-18 19:45:35

I’m confused by your initial post (my fault). Was it you or him who didn’t factor in vehicle costs?

Because if it was him, tough shit that’s his own lookout.

If it was you then I don’t think you can argue unfortunately, although he should have told you sooner.

onemorecakeplease Mon 23-Apr-18 19:45:45

Vehicle hire is his problem.
X materials fair enough

I would say I will pay for the materials used (receipt please) but it’s up to you to sort out how to transport stuff.

jusdepamplemousse Mon 23-Apr-18 19:51:09

Builders normally give estimates for small domestic jobs not quotes.

We’ve never had anything come in on estimate - just doesn’t happen unfortunately. If you are super tight on budget you need to scope it out exceptionally carefully, get it all written down, and tell them expressly not to go outside of scope without prior consent.

It’s shit OP...but a bit naive on your part perhaps? Be really frank / honest and see if you can come to a workable compromise.

If on the other hand it was a quote which was supposed to be comprehensive then I guess you can go hardball but you might lose a friendship.

JamesDelayneysTattoos Mon 23-Apr-18 20:43:25

It was a quote as in a verbal. I’ll do it for X. He’s my friends husband, I’m making his daughters wedding cake later in the year (I’m a baker).

I’ll just have to suck it up I guess. Anyone know how I can generate 500 quid in a few weeks? Really annoying though, he knew finances were really tight as I discussed the other quote I’d had with him. I wish he’d asked me before doing the job. I’d have delayed until the summer.

The hire was down to him. Aghh I’m so annoyed.

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Mon 23-Apr-18 20:46:26

That's the trouble with Mates Rates, you've no comeback all when they mess you around, unfortunately.

birdladyfromhomealone Mon 23-Apr-18 20:47:25

he is a chancer and CF friend or no friend he's trying it on as he knows you will pay to save your relationship with his wife out of embarresment,

chinam Mon 23-Apr-18 20:52:04

Maybe the wedding cake will need a lot of expenseveral extras about £500 worth

Smeddum Mon 23-Apr-18 20:53:58

The hire was down to him

Then he pays. And you tell him to find another baker for the wedding cake and some friends who won’t rip you off. or you could suddenly decide the cake costs 5 x the price and see if the fucker like the shoe on the other foot

chinam Mon 23-Apr-18 20:54:00

* expensive

SharkSave Mon 23-Apr-18 20:56:04

Don't cough up! Dispute it. He's being a dick so be one back.

Smeddum Mon 23-Apr-18 20:57:47

I suspect he thinks you’ll pay up to avoid conflict with your friend. Which is really shitty of him.

rslsys Mon 23-Apr-18 21:00:10

Tell him you'll do the Wedding Cake FOC in exchange for the £500 . . .

Soundsgood Mon 23-Apr-18 21:01:33

I wouldn't pay it. I would be really annoyed, as you could have waited for the dearer one sad

NapQueen Mon 23-Apr-18 21:04:29

Id reply "sorry to hear that you didnt factor in the vehicle hire when quoting for the work. Unfortunatley we are not in a postion to cover the cost of your error. All works have been completed to an excellent standard, what payment method is best to get the 《origional quote》 to you?"

Ragusa Mon 23-Apr-18 21:06:05

No WAY..Thay os just blatant trying it on. He's probably just realised he needs to pay the family holiday deposit next week amd thinks he will hit you up for a few extra hundred.

The only exceprion would be of this was like a £25000 job or something. But I bet it was nowhere near.

JamesDelayneysTattoos Mon 23-Apr-18 21:34:50

It was a £1300 job, now it’s an £1800 job.

It’s left me with a bad taste. I did consider asking to exchange for the wedding cake. I always do their cakes at mates rates. Not any more.

Stripybeachbag Mon 23-Apr-18 21:45:55

I guess your aim is to pay the original "quite whilst still maintaining a good relationship with your friend. He seems to be trying it to on because he thinks that you will pay to avoid embarrassment. Is your friend the type to tear a strip of her husband for trying to rip a friend off? If so go to her. Also ask for receipts and a break down of everything thing.

Ragusa Mon 23-Apr-18 22:15:04

No way. No. That is much worse than I thought. The bill has increased by 50% or thereabouts. Definitelt trying it on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: