Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How many pairs of shoes does your child need for school?

(49 Posts)
womaninatightspot Mon 23-Apr-18 18:30:29

Normal state school. School shoes, indoor shoes, indoor gym shoes and outdoor running shoes never mind wellies for wet days. Am trying to keep it to black school trainers that can double up for outdoor running and indoor trainers that can be used for gym/ classroom. It's still £80 but DS assures me IABU. There's hardly any wear on the ones he's just grown out of although tbf it's been wellies/ snowboots for months.

Dementedswan Mon 23-Apr-18 18:31:32

Two. Paircif school shoes and a pair of trainers for p.e

TheBitterBoy Mon 23-Apr-18 18:32:17

DS has a pair of school shoes and some PE trainers. That's all, no requirement for any others (thank goodness!)

anxious62 Mon 23-Apr-18 18:41:49

Shoes to wear to school
Rubbers for inside school. I think in England they are called plimsoles
Trainers for outside gym.

wendz86 Mon 23-Apr-18 18:43:34

School shoes and trainers here too . She had wellies in reception .

JustBeingJobless Mon 23-Apr-18 18:46:44

3 - black school shoes, trainers and football boots.

PandaPieForTea Mon 23-Apr-18 18:48:21

Wellies, trainers and school shoes here. Your school sounds crazy, where do they store all of those shoes?

When I was a child we had indoor and outdoor school shoes. One year my mum bought two identical pairs. One pair came home unworn at the end of the year. I’m not sure my mum was best pleased with that grin.

PurpleTraitor Mon 23-Apr-18 18:48:55

School shoes
Pumps for indoors
Trainers for PE
Football boots
Wellies for outdoor play on the fields (they have to stay on the tarmac if they don’t bring wellies)
Ballet shoes

Granted, the ballet shoes are for an optional after school club.

thismeansnothing Mon 23-Apr-18 18:49:28

2 - school shoes and pumps for pe

LittleBearPad Mon 23-Apr-18 18:51:06

3 school shoes / trainers and plimsoles.

I don’t think wellies count as surely they’d have them anyway unless school requires a separate pair which wbu

Ethelswith Mon 23-Apr-18 18:51:25

Most of school career, 1 pair school school, one pair trainers.

Over the years, the following have also featured: ballet shoes, running spikes, rugby boots, football boots, walking boots (for residential, and DofE), astro-prickles, trail running shoes (cross country), wellies (rowing), plain white trainers (fencing).

Plus I'm pretty sure there have been some really odd and random requests for play costumes, but they have mercifully been erased from my memory.

HighwayDragon1 Mon 23-Apr-18 18:53:44

School shoes
Plimsoles
Trainers
Wellies

Strax Mon 23-Apr-18 18:54:14

We have pretty much the same - school shoes, wellies for forest school, pumps, trainers.
The older one also has to have rugby boots but no longer needs wellies. I spend a fortune on a gazillion pairs of shoes 😩

Nousernameforme Mon 23-Apr-18 18:55:30

Wellies count as home shoes surely they just wear them in when it's rainy

PurpleTraitor Mon 23-Apr-18 18:56:23

School doesn’t require separate wellies but if you want to use them at home and at school that means carrying a bag with muddy wellies in there and back every day. There are welly racks at school. Most children leave their wellies there after play and change into their school shoes to walk home.

As a result we have two pairs of wellies (second being £8 cheapos) because every time we headed out we’d turn to DC and say put your wellies on, only to be told they were at school.

DamsonGin Mon 23-Apr-18 18:57:11

School shoes
Indoor pe trainers
Outdoor pe trainers
Football boots are optional but no one seems to have told the teachers.

No lockers and they have to carry all on pe days as they don't say in advance what they'll be doing when. Plus different indoor and outdoor tops and sweatshirt.

Stinkbomb Mon 23-Apr-18 18:58:36

School shoes (boots for winter), plimsolls for indoor pe, trainers for outdoor pe but only started that after Easter, then wellies.

Stinkbomb Mon 23-Apr-18 18:59:55

Although the 2 x pe & wellies we less than £20 in total so not too bad, and boots for winter were my choice,

Justabadwife Mon 23-Apr-18 19:00:51

Dd has
Black school shoes
Trainers for Monday morning
shit, uncomfortable pumps for PE
She wears wellies or snow boots in the winter, and then she can play out at playtime

SoyDora Mon 23-Apr-18 19:01:12

DD starts in September and we’ve been told normal school shoes, plimsolls for indoor PE and trainers for outdoor PE.

IncyWincyGrownUp Mon 23-Apr-18 19:02:31

Primary in the UK, my boys need school shoes or trainers. If you choose school shoes they need trainers for pe too.

Senior child needs school shoes (formal, black, not trainers) and a pair of non marking trainers for pe.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Mon 23-Apr-18 19:03:01

Indoor shoes?

I do wonder why my dc school don’t do this. The thought of 30 manky muddy, dog shit shod shoes trampling all over the same carpet day in day out that they’re meant to have story time, lie all over for PE on makes me shudder. I’d love to test it with one of those cotton bud germ testing machine do dahs just to see the off the scale reading break the machine.

unintentionalthreadkiller Mon 23-Apr-18 19:04:54

School shoes
Trainers for PE

I remember having indoor and outdoor shoes at primary. The indoor ones had to be what we called 'Jesus creeper' sandals. I have no idea what the logic was with that.

RippleEffects Mon 23-Apr-18 19:05:16

State secondary

School shoes
Indoor trainers
Outdoor trainers
Studed trainers for football/ cross country
Optional dance (can be done barefoot)

LockedOutOfMN Mon 23-Apr-18 19:12:22

DS is 9 and needs school shoes (black, formal, polishable material), football boots, trainers for P.E. lessons (which he keeps in a drawstring bag on his peg to change into for breaktime - not compulsory but we have drummed it into him not to play football in his school shoes. Luckily the teacher and the other parents say the same to all the kids so it's become automatic before they go to the playground), and Crocs for swimming.

DD is 6 and has trainers for P.E. and playtime, Crocs for swimming, and black polishable formal school shoes. Last year was easier as she could wear black plimsolls as school shoes and then didn't have to change for the playground. She does ballet at the after school club and has ballet shoes (flat, pale pink, with elastic) for that.

No need for wellies as the playground is tarmac and it rarely rains here.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: