Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Does anyone else have to hide stuff when certain people come over?

(102 Posts)
JenBarber Mon 23-Apr-18 18:21:53

I've just hidden my towels. This is because DP has a weekly gaming night (which I'm cool with) and one particular friend uses the toilet, washes his hands, takes towels from the rail to dry them and then just chucks it randomly back in the direction of the towel rail. Sometimes it lands on the rail in a disheveled mess, other times it hits the floor.

So I hide them.

When DM visits I have to hide all cards/letters otherwise she'll happily plough through the lot and pass comments on the contents. Even an unopened letter is irresistable to her and she'll grip it, turning it over in her hands peering at it for clues.

So I hide them too.

Anyone else?
grin

Poodles1980 Mon 23-Apr-18 18:31:56

Yep my mum will read letters from the bank, cards, post it notes stuck to the fridge. She will rummage in bathroom cabinets, drawers etc. I hide bank statements etc because I don’t want her to know how ridiculously wealthy I am grin.
My dh did however put a massive pack of condoms right at the front of the cabinet in the bathroom and I don’t think she has been in there since.

AztecBanana Mon 23-Apr-18 18:33:29

I don't mind people looking at birthday cards (they are on display, after all), but why would you let anyone go through your letters? Tell her to bog off!

PinkCalluna Mon 23-Apr-18 18:38:20

Paperwork has to be locked away from the PILs or they read it.

I also hide the ironing basket.

BaronessBomburst Mon 23-Apr-18 18:42:08

Alcohol.
Unopened packets of biscuits if I don't want them to be opened.

Letters and bank statements are ignored. grin

SeriousChutzpah Mon 23-Apr-18 18:43:29

Can't your DH tell his slobby friend to pick his towel up off the floor, and that in your house, no bathroom skivvies are kept to pick up towels for those who are too lazy to put them back on the rail? And to tell him repeatedly, as if he's teaching him a foreign language, if necessary?

And just tell your mother to mind her own business, unless she's the addressee on the envelope....?

Idontmeanto Mon 23-Apr-18 18:44:12

I hide anything bank statement ish or payslips and anything to do with the mortgage if mil is coming over. (Interesting in light of the do your parents not get modern house buying thread,) i’d like her not to have a heart attack before I got home!

Usertwo Mon 23-Apr-18 18:48:32

My StepMIL used to go around looking and touching everything. If she saw something she liked like a handbag or some shoes, she would actually say, “can I have this when you’re done with it?” shock ... then she’d try to pursuade me to part with it sooner.

She’d ‘borrow’ any DVD’s she could see too and never give them back.

I stopped inviting her and now don’t see her any more.

bobstersmum Mon 23-Apr-18 19:01:23

My dm is such a nosey cow she literally snoops at everything so I know it's awful but I avoid having her over!

Fwend Mon 23-Apr-18 19:08:05

All paperwork must be hidden from both DM and MIL.

I also have to have a bloody good tidy no bras slung over the back of my bedroom chair after I caught FIL taking photos on his phone of the inside of the bedrooms.

His justification? His son (DH) pays more of the mortgage than I do, so as it's his son's house, he has the right to photograph it.

Set him straight on that one, very quickly.

PinkCalluna Mon 23-Apr-18 19:12:50

His son (DH) pays more of the mortgage than I do, so as it's his son's house, he has the right to photograph it

shock wow.

DairyisClosed Mon 23-Apr-18 19:15:17

My MIL peers into cupbiards/the fridge as we open them and starts touting if she sees alcohol or meat/eggs.

Oblomov18 Mon 23-Apr-18 19:15:39

OMG shock
I have never done anything like this!!

tierraJ Mon 23-Apr-18 19:16:57

I've never had to hide anything!

LookImAHooman Mon 23-Apr-18 19:17:03

Fwend What? What did your DH say?!

dinosaurfeet Mon 23-Apr-18 19:18:03

I hide vegan cookbooks from a certain friend. Not in the mood to listen to her 'joke' about how ridiculous being vegan is. I'm not, I just like to try it every now and again.

dinosaurfeet Mon 23-Apr-18 19:18:31

@Fwend that is fucked up. What an awful man

Invisimamma Mon 23-Apr-18 19:18:55

We have a box of nerf gun, light sabers, and various toy weapons. We always hide these when other children visit as it’s just a recipe for tears, tantrums and damage!

LookImAHooman Mon 23-Apr-18 19:19:01

I lock away or hide all documents and confidential stuff if I know PILs will be visiting. I would put nothing past them. Nothing.

Middleoftheroad Mon 23-Apr-18 19:21:17

We told a distant relative that we don't have a home phone anymore (she won't ring a mobile but would phone for 2 hours some nights and leave very long messages)

When she visits at Christmas we have to unplug the phone!

reallyanotherone Mon 23-Apr-18 19:25:06

My MIL peers into cupbiards/the fridge as we open them and starts tutting if she sees alcohol

I hide the alcohol for the opposite reason! I am all but teetotal, but occasionally open a bottle of wine for cooking, and will drink the remaining glass or two. My mother is always trying to persuade me to drink- she “needs” a glass of wine every evening to relax, and gets very twitchy if i have no wine in the house or won’t join her in opening a bottle.

If she finds a bottle of wine, especially if it’s open, she gets very smuggy mcsmugface and goes on about how she was right and knew i was lying about not drinking.

So i hide the wine!

IHaveACuntingPlan Mon 23-Apr-18 19:27:49

Some members of my extended family are lightfingered so we always hide anything of value (wedding rings, wallets, watches etc in a drawer and bags, purses and wallets taken upstairs) on the rare occasion they come. They're never invited and they rarely just turn up.

EnidButton Mon 23-Apr-18 19:33:19

Just the lube.

What does the messy friend dry his hands on if you've hid the towels?

SongforSal Mon 23-Apr-18 19:33:30

My tobacco.
blush
I smoke in the bit between my kitchen and garden. It's an addiction, I know I need to stop. Often if parents of my dcs stop by I will hide it in a drawer. People are often surprised when I do smoke in social settings.

PlatypusPie Mon 23-Apr-18 19:36:08

On what possible basis is it ok to read other people’s paperwork or poke around ? ? I was brought up to respect other people’s privacy, including family, and we have continued that with our own family. My husband and I have the same initials as well as surname and we are very careful about opening things that are ambiguously addressed.

I used to babysit as a student and I did a joint sit one evening with a friend ( wealthy family had two nannies who were both off, so thought they needed 2 babysitters for 2 well behaved and sleeping children 🙄 ) I was boggled when this friend started nosing through all the drawers and post, saying scornfully that she always did it for fun. Until I pointed out that people like our clients were quite likely to have cameras trained on the rooms.......

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: