Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Why is celebrating St George's Day seen as racist?

(147 Posts)
sheddooropen Mon 23-Apr-18 15:39:36

Seeing the welsh, Scottish and especially Irish celebrate their days, they are so patriotic with flags everywhere etc but then when it is our national day (I know its the royal birth today) not many people display English flags and I’ve heard lots of comments saying that the English flag is associated with racism and the EDL/ Britain first so not many people celebrate it. Thoughts?

DGRossetti Mon 23-Apr-18 15:46:17

Not really sure how you can be racist if you know about St. George ...

ClopChops Mon 23-Apr-18 15:47:10

I don’t think sensible people do consider it particularly racist, it’s just that we don’t get into it in the same way

OdileDeCaray Mon 23-Apr-18 15:47:20

Anyone who thinks it is racist is an idiot.

Sarahjconnor Mon 23-Apr-18 15:49:57

I've never heard any one say it's racist and I've never heard of anyone ever celebrating it either..... are you thinking of the flag because far right groups have attempted to highjack that in the past but it is not racist in itself.

sheddooropen Mon 23-Apr-18 15:50:27

I know they are idiots for thinking that I just feel like it is such a shame that we don’t celebrate it as much as other countries do

Hakarl Mon 23-Apr-18 15:51:17

I've never seen anyone saying that celebrating St. George's Day is racist, apart from people asserting that they want to celebrate it but can't because they'd get accused of racism, doing the whole 'it's PC gone mad' thing except it's all in their heads.

Fly an English flag if you want, I sincerely doubt anyone will care.

TheFirstMrsDV Mon 23-Apr-18 15:54:04

Its not seen as racist.

No one cares apart from the spam heads.

'why is flying the St Georges flag seen as racist'
Because quite often it is.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 23-Apr-18 15:54:48

I think it's sad we allowed the NF and the BNP to hijack the symbols in the 70s. Unfortunately that means that a lot of the people 'celebrating' are racist. Shame because there's plenty that great about England.

We managed to get the union flag back (thanks to many British designers) so there's hope.

NameyMcChangeRae Mon 23-Apr-18 15:54:51

I feel this, and it’s because (based on my own fb stream) the people I know who seem to celebrate St. George’s day, i.e post a picture of the George’s flag, are the same people who voted Brexit, who constantly post about ‘immigrants’, and are actually a bit ( a lot) racist.
That puts me off celebrating it to be honest. I don’t want to be grouped with such people.

Interestingly, it’s the same in Germany - displaying a flag or nationalism in any form is seen as very poor taste.

NameyMcChangeRae Mon 23-Apr-18 15:56:09

BUT there’s nothing racist about the day in itself, if you see what I mean.
It’s just been adopted by racist nationalists as ‘their day’

Frith1975 Mon 23-Apr-18 15:56:45

I don’t celebrate it because it’s made up - obviously saints aren’t really holy or imbued with special powers.

sheddooropen Mon 23-Apr-18 16:00:17

In my area it's not celebrated at all and I just wish we had the same parades and spirit about the day like the Irish do

Smeddum Mon 23-Apr-18 16:01:18

@TheFirstMrsDV has it spot on.

DGRossetti Mon 23-Apr-18 16:01:46

Interestingly, it’s the same in Germany - displaying a flag or nationalism in any form is seen as very poor taste.

Personally, I like (liked hmm) the UKs slightly understated sense of self. It's hard not to wonder whether countries that have flags on every official building (along with photographs of the President on every wall) are a tad insecure ?

Smeddum Mon 23-Apr-18 16:02:05

Mind you I’m Scottish and beyond official recognition St Andrew’s Day isn’t particularly celebrated. Beyond being an excuse to get pished.

DGRossetti Mon 23-Apr-18 16:02:49

obviously saints aren’t really holy or imbued with special powers.

er, if you're Catholic they very much are.

Ohdearyme2018 Mon 23-Apr-18 16:03:08

Why is it racist? I’ve never heard that!

GreenEyedGoose Mon 23-Apr-18 16:04:28

DG you're not allowed to be religious on MN.

BitOutOfPractice Mon 23-Apr-18 16:05:03

Nobosy does see it as racist do they?

sheddooropen Mon 23-Apr-18 16:07:56

Shame it can't be a bank holiday!

Twofishfingers Mon 23-Apr-18 16:08:59

I don't think celebrating St George's day is racist. My kids did drawings at school/colouring etc and learned about its history. If it was racist to mark St George's day, a lot of primary schools would be in trouble!

StopBeingNosey Mon 23-Apr-18 16:09:20

Among the people I know the only ones I know who mention St George’s Day (normally only confined to a Facebook post or maybe a flag in the window) are also the Brexit, immigrants ate my hamster, not particularly bright types.
There have been so many amazing famous English people over the years that it would be great to celebrate. We also have some of the most beautiful buildings and naturally beautiful countryside and coastlines. But when you look at actual English history and policies we were monumental bell ends to pretty much everyone. It’s hard to celebrate at the great stuff about England and ignore all the distasteful bits.

Mousefunky Mon 23-Apr-18 16:11:32

It’s not racist. The problem is the connotations the George’s flag has. If you see a house or a pub with the St George’s flag emblazoned on the front (not on St George’s day) what do you think? The flag has been linked to racism since the seventies and therein lies the problem.

ICantCopeAnymore Mon 23-Apr-18 16:14:11

It's not racist.

St George hadn't ever even been to England, which is interesting.

Saints were normal humans, not magical beings.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: