Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

First computer/video games you remember playing

(123 Posts)
shouldnthavesaid Mon 23-Apr-18 09:32:45

Trying to distract myself from pain flare up!

First game I vividly remember at school was something based around teddy bears picnic, was in 1995/1996 (so primary 1) on a massive PC with a letterland keyboard. Had to type an invitiation for a teddy, make sandwiches and then solve various maths/grammar puzzles. I don't think anyone ever completed it. We were only allowed to use PC as a very occasional treat as there was only one in the school (3 classes, v small school).

At home, my father bought a state of the art PC in 1994/5 ish - had a Topsy and Tim Go to Granny's game, plus Dogz. Also had various built in stuff like Pipe Dream ... Neighbours had crayola games (colouring book and something about painting ponies).

School PCs (windows 98, 2001/2002) were loaded with dozens of games and dorling kindersely stuff - we used to fight over them (learning ladder, Encarta, amazing human body...)

Eventually at home we got a modern PC after my gt gran passed away and left money (2004 ish) .. we had Sims 1, Petz, Barbie shite (something about beauty), and Theme Park World/Theme Hospital. Still miss the last two, once I found a cheat for cash on TH it was fab. Played it for hours on end solving 'King Complexes' and 'Bloaty Head' ... I work/study in healthcare now funnily enough. Didn't appreciate the humour fully at the time - do now!

It seems daft but would love to sit and play some of those games again - I know you can download TH etc but I think it wouldn't be quite the same on my laptop..

Just wondering what others' memories are - imaginging asking my youngest cousins the same (13-16), would have very different answers and would probably find the idea of using a CD rom a bit odd!!

CuppaSarah Mon 23-Apr-18 09:35:01

We had a Amiga, which was a keyboard you plugged into a TV with a floppy drive. I remember playing let's spell at home 2. You did spellings and of you got any wrong the teddy bear had an angry face and made gunshot sounds. It was a bit intense.

Elementtree Mon 23-Apr-18 09:37:30

Paperboy on the spectrum which I had to attach to a cassette recorder to work and it had to be on the exact right volume to work or it wouldn't load. Then you had to wait for ten minutes to a bloody awful noise and hope it wouldn't crack and then, finally, you could play on this cutting edge technology.

NameyMcChangeRae Mon 23-Apr-18 09:50:50

I remember Petz!! It was brilliant.

First games I remember playing are sonic on the mega drive, and a weird pc game where you had to fly a plane and bomb buildings whilst getting lower and lower, trying to bomb the tallest ones so you don’t crash.

My favourites of my childhood were Zelda - ocarina of time and pokemon

Nabootique Mon 23-Apr-18 09:53:51

Oh God. I had a Spectrum too! I used to play a clay pigeon shooting game, a Yogi bear one, James Bond and one that had a dragon. I also remember playing Alex the Kidd on the Mega Drive or Master System.

elQuintoConyo Mon 23-Apr-18 09:58:20

Chucky Egg grin

We had a ZX81. We used to play snooker but you couldn't see the green to pot because it was the same colour as the snooker table, so you had to wave the cue around the table to spot a slight colour difference.

We also had very early versions of Formula 1 and a flight simulator, but this was circa 1984.

My sister had Space Invaders on a handheld console around 1982/4. She wishes she had held onto it as it'd be worth a pretty penny today.

NoodlesLivesHere Mon 23-Apr-18 09:58:56

I had a cassette loading spectrum and the best game ever on there was Dizzy...basically a little hero egg dude trying to save the yolk folk from all sorts of calamities. Not sure if this was the absolute 1st game I played but it's definitely one of the first and the most memorable.

CaptainHammer Mon 23-Apr-18 09:59:48

Crash Bandicoot, best game ever!

AdaColeman Mon 23-Apr-18 10:00:13

Tennis on the Spectrum, it was just a dot bouncing around the screen!
Then later, frogs jumping from one lily pad to the next, Frogger IIRC!
Later still, Tetris.

Aprilmightbemynewname Mon 23-Apr-18 10:01:17

I am 46 and have never played one!!

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 23-Apr-18 10:01:40

I had a spectrum too smile but the first game I remember playing was L a mathemagical adventure. It was in 1984 or 85, I don't remember which. I was allowed to play it every time I finished my work early in maths lessons, which was all the time

Fond memories of collecting gems to plug holes in a boat grin

elQuintoConyo Mon 23-Apr-18 10:02:22

This:

iklboo Mon 23-Apr-18 10:05:01

Pong. Yes, I'm that old grin

OliviaStabler Mon 23-Apr-18 10:05:28

I had a Commodore 64 (showing my age!) and used to play games such as Dizzy, GhostBusters, Blagger, Panic Planet and Killer Watt.

RustyBear Mon 23-Apr-18 10:06:11

Pong, or possibly a clone, played on a dedicated console connected to the TV, around 1978. It played just the table tennis game, though I think you could change a few variables like size of bats.

A bit later we got a ZX81 with an extension pack that disconnected every time you touched the table or a lorry went past the window. The main game I remember was a ‘ski-ing’ one, where your player was a ^ symbol which had to dodge randomly placed asterisks scrolling down.

MarshaBradyo Mon 23-Apr-18 10:06:32

Frogger
Space invaders
And a psychologist one that asked questions about how you were feeling etc

ICantCopeAnymore Mon 23-Apr-18 10:08:30

Probably Pong. I remember a dragon game on an old Amstrad. Then I had a C64 and some favourites were Head Over Heels, the text only adventure games you could play and Pacman. Progressed to an Amiga 500, then a 1200 and have very fond memories of Paperboy, the first two Monkey Islands and Beneath a Steel Sky. Also Chucky Egg in school!

My first PC was when I started playing games like Catz, Sim City, Tomb Raider and I loved the Aladdin and Lion King platformers.

However, hands down the game I had the most fun playing and has the best memories for me was a click and point adventure called Titanic - Adventure Out of Time. It was fantastic and you roamed a full scale titanic while trying to solve a mystery before it sank. You can still buy it, on GOG. I started replaying it last weekend.

I've had every gaming console going too, but the old computers trump them.

Now I tend to play stuff like Skyrim, Final Fantasy and Dragon Age. I have a soft spot for Call of Duty.

ScribbleWibble Mon 23-Apr-18 10:35:38

I remember Granny's Garden at school on the old BBC computer.

At home the first gane we played was Prince of Persia. Happy days!

AuntFidgetWonkhamStrongNajork Mon 23-Apr-18 11:01:29

Zx81. Manic Miner and some game with ants running around a city.

MissionItsPossible Mon 23-Apr-18 12:08:15

Giana Sisters, New Zealand Story, Llamatron, Dizzy, Mouse Impossible, Paintpot, ahh so many games and they were all free to copy with Amiga. I can’t beleive my patience though, no ability to save and you’d have to start at the very beginning if you turned the computer off.

FunkSoulSister Mon 23-Apr-18 12:13:57

I'm sure we had Arthur (was it a BBC cartoon) on ours at school
Dizzy, Bubble Bobble

Sonic The Hedgehog will always be my first love. We had him on Master System because we couldnt get a Sega Mega drive, it was too expensive (I do have an original one under my TV at 31 now though)

MarshaBradyo Mon 23-Apr-18 12:23:48

Giana Sisters! Forgot that one. That was great

ICantCopeAnymore Mon 23-Apr-18 12:38:50

Loved Great Giana Sisters. Ooh, and Lemmings too.

MissionItsPossible Mon 23-Apr-18 12:51:44

I forgot about Bubble Bobble. Did anyone also used to play Rainbow Islands? I LOVED that.

SmellsLikeMiddleAgeSpirit Mon 23-Apr-18 13:04:25

We had a Grandstand TV Games console that connected to the telly in the mid 1970's. It had 'pong' type games on it: tennis, doubles tennis, football and squash.
Friends were very envious!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: