Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Teacher and uniform

(71 Posts)
sonlypuppyfat Sun 22-Apr-18 23:58:37

Silly thing but it's annoyed me, DD 13 hurt her hand quite badly at school. She sat waiting for me to pick her up to take her to hospital, she had an ice pack on her hand, was crying and sitting with a friend. A teacher walked past and asked her where her tie was!

Fairenuff Mon 23-Apr-18 00:12:38

Where was her tie?

8oOoOoOo8 Mon 23-Apr-18 00:28:00

I would have been annoyed as well. What's happening to empathy? sad

Fflursan Mon 23-Apr-18 07:02:04

I have found from experience that if teachers cant control some things in school, they attack the easier things like school uniform
My DD is 16 and leaving school in a matter of weeks and last week a teacher said “you need to buy a new coat as that has a pink lining”

The said black coat has been worn for the last 2 years without problems. And this teacher has seen her wearing it for the past 2 years. They all do it. Its tedious.

BoneyBackJefferson Mon 23-Apr-18 07:06:33

Fflursan

Generalisations, always a good thing hmm

PotteringAlong Mon 23-Apr-18 07:08:23

So where was her tie?

MaisyPops Mon 23-Apr-18 07:12:10

Empathy bypass to say something at that point, but teacher has a fair point to where was her tie?

She's at school and has injured her hand.
If she's hurt her arm and was wearing a polo shirt, not her normal shirt or wasn't wearing a blazer nobody would have said anything as it's obvious why that's the case.
Hurting your hand doesn't explain opting not to wear part of the uniform.

I have found from experience that if teachers cant control some things in school, they attack the easier things like school uniform
I love a good teacher generalisation. hmm

JacquesHammer Mon 23-Apr-18 07:19:06

Hurting your hand doesn't explain opting not to wear part of the uniform

Maybe she couldn’t tie it as she’d hurt her hand. Maybe she had used it as an impromptu sling grin

Unpleasant comment from the teacher and seriously lacking in empathy. Teacher would have a point if DD was fine. Now said teacher just looks like a twat.

SmellsLikeMiddleAgeSpirit Mon 23-Apr-18 07:23:41

They all do it. Its tedious

I love a bit of teacher bashing in the morning. hmm

The teacher in the OP was certainly a bit off, however, and could have dealt with uniform digressions another time.

Fflursan Mon 23-Apr-18 07:23:49

Tedious like you lot. Analysing every single word

As others saud, empathy costs nothing.

Witchend Mon 23-Apr-18 07:25:55

It could have been a reminder as much as anything else. If she'd said where she'd left it, maybe the teacher would have fetched it for her.

SmellsLikeMiddleAgeSpirit Mon 23-Apr-18 07:26:17

So you didn't mean it, Fflursan?

MaisyPops Mon 23-Apr-18 07:26:32

JacquesHammer
That's what I'm saying, it's an empathy bypass to have asked a hurt student, but the point of the question is fair.

It's a bit like wearing trainers because you've hurt your ankle vs wearing trainers because your arm is in a sling. Probably not the conversation to have with the child getting a sling put on in the medical room, but it is a fair observation.

MurielsBottom Mon 23-Apr-18 07:29:56

Perhaps it was the teacher who helped your daughter and was more concentrated she had all her belongings before she left the school. There are plenty of kind and considerate teachers around too.

Context is everything.

JacquesHammer Mon 23-Apr-18 07:31:22

but the point of the question is fair.

Is it? I’d say a student injured enough to require picking up can have a touch of leeway with regards uniform rules whatever the item of uniform.

user1471553214 Mon 23-Apr-18 07:43:33

I was in the middle of a GCSE exam, 1988, Mr McKirdy sidled up to me and whispered “you’re wearing the wrong coloured shoes”. Git.

sonlypuppyfat Mon 23-Apr-18 08:03:08

She didn't have her tie on because she couldn't put it on with one hand

EvilTwins Mon 23-Apr-18 08:08:12

Had she hurt her hand during a PE lesson?

sonlypuppyfat Mon 23-Apr-18 08:33:19

Yes she had hurt it in PE, I should have said sorry

EvilTwins Mon 23-Apr-18 08:37:49

Then it's ridiculous to ask about her tie - of course she won't have been able to put it back on with one hand!

Caulk Mon 23-Apr-18 08:49:35

Surely you could use the same empathy card by saying her friends should have thought “oh Sophie can’t put her tie on as she’s hurt her hand, I’ll help her”.

sonlypuppyfat Mon 23-Apr-18 08:59:57

Perhaps at that time they didn't think the tie was very important

MidniteScribbler Mon 23-Apr-18 09:09:15

Often it doesn't come from the teachers, but from leadership. Whatever currently is their topic of the month. With our cohort, I'm just happy that my kids make it into school each day, but our Principal has decided that nail polish and black socks are her current soap box topic, so I have to check each student each day and remind them if they are our of uniform. It's a pain in the arse, but she's the boss and I pick my battles.

jellycat1 Mon 23-Apr-18 09:12:06

So all she had to do was tell her what happened. If the teacher persisted after that then I agree that's out of order but presumably she didn't know the back story story when she asked.

Willow2017 Mon 23-Apr-18 09:32:28

Girl sitting crying with ice pack on her hand and friend comforting her.
Only thing teacher noticed is lack of tie. Doesnt say much for her powers of observation nor deduction does it?

Never mind op your dd was obviously lying and teacher actually offered to carry her on thier back to hospital😉
(Thats the stock answer whenever you dare to question a teachers actions/what they said on mn isnt it?)

Ffs the laat thing a distressed child who is badly hurt needs is someone trying to lean over them putting a bloody tie on!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: