Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Taking a foreign relative to the GP?

(31 Posts)
user1485182339 Sun 22-Apr-18 17:25:42

Quick bit of advice needed please! We have foreign relatives visiting at the moment, and one of them has fallen ill. I'd like to take them to the GP tomorrow, but am not sure how it works? They have medical aid cover from home which will presumably be claimed back in some way once they are back home, but for now do I just make an appointment for them with my regular NHS GP and pay them? confused sad

SusanDelfino Sun 22-Apr-18 17:26:40

Are they EU citizens?

gamerwidow Sun 22-Apr-18 17:32:58

Take them to your local ucc or walk in gp. I don't think your registered gp will agree to see them. Alternatively make an appointment with a private gp.

SusanDelfino Sun 22-Apr-18 17:34:54

I've had a couple of visitors who needed a doctor and they just used my GP with their EHIC card. There is a reciprocal agreement in the EU. Not sure how it works for NON-EU visitors .

PerfectlyDone Sun 22-Apr-18 17:35:52

Immediately necessary treatment will be provided, if they are not from the EU they will be billed.

BalloonFlowers Sun 22-Apr-18 17:49:47

Go and chat to the GP receptionist. She sorted us out when we, as visitors to the UK, needed DS to be seen.

BalloonFlowers Sun 22-Apr-18 17:51:26

Oh, the other way is to see if the pharmicist can help? You will have to make the call on if that's a possible route.

Picklepickle123 Sun 22-Apr-18 17:51:36

Depending on your GP surgery, the GP may agree to see your relative as a private patient and then bill then accordingly. This could then be claimed back against their insurance.

Iruka Sun 22-Apr-18 18:00:23

Give 111 a call and ask for advice

tortelliniforever Sun 22-Apr-18 18:04:27

I have taken my son to my mum's GP and I was asked to fill out a visitor's form - in the EU though so we didn't have to pay.

KeneftYakimoski Sun 22-Apr-18 18:09:30

My gp (or, as they are soon to be, former GP) refuses to see my children when they return from university for the vacation, because they are registered elsewhere. I recently stood at the reception as they arranged to see an overseas visitor. It is easy to see why “health tourism” is resented when students living st home for the summer are turned away (my children went to a nearby practice which was happy to see them, so we are all going to move to that gp).

SubtitlesOn Sun 22-Apr-18 18:14:09

That is bad about your DC home from Uni

When ours came home they went as temp patients, shocked that yours didn't do that

shockshockshock KeneftYakimoski

GlitterGlue Sun 22-Apr-18 18:19:47

Does their insurance have a help line? Perhaps ring them and they can direct you?

Sidge Sun 22-Apr-18 18:19:56

Keneft Students home from uni can be seen as temporary residents, if there is a need for immediate and necessary treatment.

If they’ve been deregistered to register elsewhere eg university, then they cannot be seen at their “old” surgery for routine or regular care.

If another surgery sees them, make sure they’re not then registered there as then they will be deregistered at their uni GP surgery and won’t be able to be seen there when they return, without reregistering.

OP with regards to foreign visitors it depends which country they’re from and if the NHS has a reciprocal arrangement with their country. When you go to the surgery take passports, EHIC cards if appropriate or insurance details. It’s the same whether you visit a GP, MIU, ED or WIC.

TammyWhyNot Sun 22-Apr-18 18:23:33

Emergency appointment: no problem.

EU citizen with EHIC, or other? If other the GP willl probably treat immediate need and then advise on private. If EU, refer or continue treatment as appropriate.

Everyone can get seen in the NHS for immediate need.

Otherwise, call her health insurers and ask their advice. They should have a 24 hour line.

KeneftYakimoski Sun 22-Apr-18 18:33:04

When ours came home they went as temp patients, shocked that yours didn't

Practice manager, to whom I complained, says they don’t do temporary patients under any circumstances and I should take my children to A&E. Ah, the nhs at its most joined up. Next time you hear “don’t go to A&E, go to your GP” remember this advice. That the nhs cannot deal with students moving between home and university as “business as usual” is crazy.

KeneftYakimoski Sun 22-Apr-18 18:34:25

Everyone can get seen in the NHS for immediate need.

Like fuck. Gps can just say “no” and it’s A&E or nothing.

Ocies Sun 22-Apr-18 18:37:08

Free 'Immediately Necessary' treatment in primary care is available to all overseas visitors. Secondary care (hospital) is not. However, if a prescription is needed they may need to pay the full price of the medication.

Ocies Sun 22-Apr-18 18:41:16

From the BMA website:

Key point to remember

The overriding principle that applies to patient registration is anyone, regardless of nationality and residential status may register and consult with a GP without charge.

Duty to provide emergency and immediately necessary treatment

Practices have a contractual duty to provide emergency treatment and immediately necessary treatment free of charge for up to 14 days.

KeneftYakimoski Sun 22-Apr-18 18:41:43

Free 'Immediately Necessary' treatment in primary care is available to all overseas visitors

But not British citizens who pay or have paid on their behalf ni, and are away from home for a few weeks. Because it’s 1947 and the idea people might venture more than a day’s walk from home is just madness.

Ocies Sun 22-Apr-18 18:46:16

But not British citizens who pay or have paid on their behalf ni, and are away from home for a few weeks. Because it’s 1947 and the idea people might venture more than a day’s walk from home is just madness.

Yes they are entitled to free primary care.

MadisonMontgomery Sun 22-Apr-18 18:50:19

If they are from within the EU they can be seen as immediate & necessary, if from outside the EU possibly not, it depends on the country.

With regards to university students returning home as short periods they can be seen as a temporary resident if other household members are registered with the practice.

Ocies Sun 22-Apr-18 18:52:23

If they are from within the EU they can be seen as immediate & necessary, if from outside the EU possibly not, it depends on the country.

Sorry but this is a common misconception. ANYONE can be treated in primary care.

user1485182339 Sun 22-Apr-18 18:54:12

Thank you everyone for advice. I will phone the GP in the morning and ask for an emergency appointment (it is not an A&E emergency, but they do need to be seen asap as it could escalate). If my surgery refuses, I understand from the comments above that I could try any surgery? I did not know that there were private GPs commonly found everywhere. Sort of figured it was Harley Street or bust? I will Google to see if our town has one.

user1485182339 Sun 22-Apr-18 18:57:14

They all have cover for travel, and the advice is to pay and claim back. But it doesn't give advice regarding country specific policies and I've just never had to consider it before. hmm They are not EU nationals.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: