Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Needing to be right

(8 Posts)
tigercub50 Sat 21-Apr-18 23:48:05

Does anyone know anyone like this? I think I can be guilty of it, especially with DD, and it can be exhausting. And following on from my last post about DH, he definitely finds it very difficult to admit he’s wrong sometimes. I’ve been doing a lot of reading about it, which has proved very interesting.

tigercub50 Sun 22-Apr-18 00:28:15

Anyone around?

LookImAHooman Sun 22-Apr-18 04:06:35

My family could win bloody medals at this. Seriously. What are the main points of the reading you’ve done?

daisychain01 Sun 22-Apr-18 05:19:18

I remember doing the Theory of Conformity for my Psychology A Level - conformity being about how people's behaviour is influenced by the need to fit in with (or stand out from) social groups. The research found that people have two basic motives, one is to be liked and the other is to be right.

So the people who want to be right become argumentative because their mission is showing how they know what they're talking about. The ones who want to be liked, are the ones who keep their mouth shut because they don't want to stick out like a sore thumb, they try to align to whatever other people in the group are thinking or saying, they don't want to swim against the tide.

You find both types a lot on MN grin

BogstandardBelle Sun 22-Apr-18 06:40:40

Yes, my mum ! I’ve just spent a week with her, and it’s such hard work. She has to be right about everything. Everyone has to agree with her opinion about the most trivial of things, and anyone who doesn’t has the joy of having their wrongness explained in detail and aggressively. If it ever looks like she might have made even the tiniest error, it has to be explained that it wasnt her getting it wrong, God forbid, but was in fact because some else misinformed her, etc etc.

It’s absolutely exhausting and most of my conversations with her end with «fair enough, whatever you think» just to get away.

HelloCanYouHearMe Sun 22-Apr-18 07:02:57

I have a friend who aways has to have the last word in any conversation and always has to be right.

I don't see her often!

Teateaandmoretea Sun 22-Apr-18 07:09:58

I think it's often good to be wrong I've learnt with age when the actual truth is better grin. But I find it hard to keep quiet when I know someone is talking shite and that will never change I suspect.

I don't believe that psychology study it is surely about neediness rather than the whole population?

happinessischocolate Sun 22-Apr-18 07:15:51

I'm the master of being right 😂 when someone disagrees with something I know is right I just let them go on and on about it and then quietly go off and prove them wrong, either by googling or doing the thing I've said I can do. My DP has got quite wary now, but does take it well "happiness is right again"

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: