Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do your children constantly talk to you?

(61 Posts)
WeirdyMcBeardy Sat 21-Apr-18 19:34:55

Today I was sat in the garden, dicking about mumsnetting on my phone. DS asked me why didn't I read a book. I would love to tbh but the only place I tend to read is in bed when I can have some actual quiet. There is no way they would give me some peace to read a book, they seem to need to talk at me all the time. We are getting ready to watch BGT and I know I'll end up annoyed as they can't (more DD) just sit and watch something without yapping or making some sort of noise. Point was proven when they got on the trampoline and had to constantly talk to me about what they were doing. They do the same if they are sat playing or on their tablets and I am in the room. The only time it doesn't happen is when they play in their bedrooms, which is really rare.

I'm sure I remember hours playing by myself as a child without constant adult input, I know I spent a lot of time playing quite happily in my room whilst the adults sat and read or watched TV or done whatever it was they were doing. I'd never watch TV in the day as they would be there like a shot, watching anything because the magical box is on and commenting and asking questions. I was never interested in what adults were watching as a child, to me it was all boring stuff grin. I asked DH and he said he did the same, happily amused himself for hours without adult input every 5 seconds.

The DCs are pretty good at playing and not being stuck to screens (as we do restrict them) so no problem with imagination or anything. It's just this constant need to talk to us, I nearly laughed when DS wanted to know why I didn't read.

TorchesTorches Sat 21-Apr-18 19:40:15

My childhood was the same, in fact, I only remember interacting with my parents at mealtimes. Literally never any other time. They did their thing, I did mine!

My DS never wants to be alone and is always talking. It drives me mad. My DD is mostly quiet and likes time alone. She goes into her room and shuts the door. I would love to do it too, but DS would just follow me and start yapping away.

Thebluedog Sat 21-Apr-18 19:40:16

Oh god yes mine do it ALL the time, they never ever shut up!

I took my eldest 10, shoe shopping and it was constant! None stop for 3 fucking hours. I get home and my 6 yr old takes up the reigns - it’s endless

m0therofdragons Sat 21-Apr-18 19:41:05

Today I told dds I was reading so they needed to entertain themselves and only disturb me for significant amounts of blood or vomit. It actually worked quite well. Managed about half an hour but this is new - dds are 10, 6 and 6 and they'd had my full attention all morning.

DrCorday Sat 21-Apr-18 19:45:09

Constantly. All bleeding day.

Question, question, chat, question, crying, question, attitude, question and repeat x 1,000 billion times

grin

pastabakewithcheese Sat 21-Apr-18 19:45:15

Dear lord I thought it was only mine...and she's only 2. Non stop. Repeats the same sentence over and over. Even after I've said yes 😩

StaplesCorner Sat 21-Apr-18 19:51:01

So guys, surely you know that one day you will be desperate to talk to them don't you? When they are teenagers, when they move away, when you are old? Only this morning I was thinking how cross I used to get when my eldest maybe aged 3 or 4 used to always ask for another story, just another one, before I left her alone in her room at night and, exhausted with a baby to see to, I snapped no!! Now she's 17. She talks to me when she feels like it, sometimes you can see she wants to get away, end the conversation - just like I did.

But you knew all that sort of thing ... wink

WeirdyMcBeardy Sat 21-Apr-18 19:57:52

staples yep, which is why when 10 year old comes in for a cuddle in the morning when I really need to be getting ready for work I just stop and give him that cuddle. And yes, there will be the time that they don't want a bedtime story so I make the effort when I sometimes cba. But my god, the endless talk all day! grin

Then I get DH talking at me about sodding football in the evenings! I don't give a crap about it (apart from the team I actually support). I've told him this but he still does it. And it's pretty much the only thing he seems to talk about. Grrrr.

spiderlight Sat 21-Apr-18 19:58:36

All. The. Time. I was on the phone to my godson earlier, having quite a serious conversation. I'd told DS beforehand that I was not to be interrupted, DH was pottering about and he could easily have talked to him instead, but within literally about three minutes he's behind me whispering 'Mum! Mum! Mum! It's urgent! Mum!' The emergency? He'd kicked a football in the garden and he thought he'd hit a hoverfly and could I please come and see if I could save it. I don't think for one minute that he genuinely wanted me to go and perform CPR on a hoverfly - he just cannot be within half a mile of me and not be talking to me. Mostly about the new gun in Fortnite or the monster truck he's designed on his computer or something Jake said to Toby at playtime a week last Thursday which he suddenly has to tell me in intricate detail, normally while flossing. He's away with the school all next week and it is going to be bliss eerily quiet without him!

GrimSqueaker Sat 21-Apr-18 19:58:49

Yep and the eldest talks away in her sleep too. It gets wearing.

CherryBlossomSeason Sat 21-Apr-18 20:00:37

Yes constantly. Even IN THEIR SLEEP!!!!

Pyjamaface Sat 21-Apr-18 20:03:47

God yes. If DS' eyes are open then his mouth is flapping.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sat 21-Apr-18 20:15:18

Mine doesn't. He plays out with his friends so talks to them. He will spend a lot of time amusing himself with his things though. He's an introvert like DH and I and needs his space and quiet.

He's also an only child so there is no sense of needing to compete for our attention. When he does want to talk to me, there is nobody who will stop him.

I'm sure it's mainly a personality thing though.

thugmansion Sat 21-Apr-18 20:24:57

It stops around 15 and starts up again at 20 grin

Purplehammer Sat 21-Apr-18 20:35:17

I found that saying .
SHUT UP AND GO AWAY if repeated a couple of times registered.

Xmasbaby11 Sat 21-Apr-18 20:39:41

Yes mine do constantly. I find it hard if I'm tired or busy. I try to get some time to myself over the week otherwise I find it hard to be patient.

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Sat 21-Apr-18 20:42:26

DS2 does this. When he goes for playdates, the mum says, "Doesn't he talk a lot!" blush

BlooperReel Mon 23-Apr-18 13:05:03

Both mine do. The youngest is the worst by far. Talks at about 80 words per minute too so its a constant fast stream of chatter. She talks so fast that when I answer a question she doesn't hear as she has carried on talking so I repeat the answer three to four times then have to almost yell 'LISTEN'!!!! [embarrassed]

MarklahMarklah Mon 23-Apr-18 13:10:25

Yes. And singing. Deliberately singing the wrong words to Kula Shaker's "Govinda" over and over again. When questioned she said she was singing it in her own made-up language.
In the end I had to leave the room before I tore my ears off.

Ozgirl75 Mon 23-Apr-18 13:19:22

I noticed this today (school holidays here). We were in town doing some errands and the two of them (5 and 7) literally just spoke at me the whole time we were out. Just reams of words and words.

Went to the park for a bit and I was trying to answer some work emails and it was “mum watch me on the monkey bars, mum see how fast I can go, mum my knee is stuck in a fence, mum can you fill up the water”.

I love them and their chats but sometimes it’s just endless noise. It’s hard to find the line between being pleased that they like my company and stopping them from turning into the annoying bloke from work who never shuts the fuck up and people therefore avoid.

ppeatfruit Mon 23-Apr-18 13:40:29

This is sad ( we loved them singing esp. grin ) I remember mine doing it a bit but not too much (I did deliberately have wide gaps between them though! )

It's a stage and to be enjoyed, it might be because some of you aren't there when they get back from school or wherever and they need to be reassured someone will listen to them!! Better than them being on their I phones or whatever. Then you'd be desperate for a chat with them.

0h Mon 23-Apr-18 13:51:31

I sometimes wear headphones with nothing playing through them! Just so I can point to them and claim I can't hear them when they talk on and on and on... blush.

I ask for a sec until the song finishes but they spot something shiney and are distracted almost immediately. grin

They get a LOT of my attention and I listen to hours of Roblox/Fortnite talk and I read when I'm tired and I play board games when I just want to chill so I don't feel guilty when I sometimes take some quiet time back!

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Mon 23-Apr-18 14:23:41

ppeat I'm a SAHM, they don't have that excuse, DS2 just can't stop. It's a stream of consciousness. The best example was when I was giving him his bedtime bf and he didn't have many words, he unlatched and announced: "Mummy, Daddy, DD, car, tree, house, door." It's still like that, but actual sentences. 😂

MyMarmitePurrs Mon 23-Apr-18 14:28:15

Mine is 16 and waits for me to come in from work to barrage me with "he said, she said, they said" etc I don't even know how they are !! I even resort to turning the TV up but she just gets louder !! After 8 hrs of working with the public all I want is 30 mins where no one talks to me !!!

BlingLoving Mon 23-Apr-18 14:30:39

God yes. DD tells us everything - before she does something, we get a blow by blow account of what will happen. Then live commentating during the activity followed by a detailed account of what happened afterwards. So every single game she plays, I get to listen to three times. THREE TIMES.

DS is less good, but has zero understanding of waiting so it's always SUPER URGENT.

Drives me mad. But it's also adorable at times. grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: