Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

‘In a box’ Sublime science party any good?

(10 Posts)
Kimlek Sat 21-Apr-18 19:02:25

Looking at a party for my 9 year old DD but the Sublime Science Party with entertainer is around £300 for an hour. They offer the same gold party ‘in a box’ for a parent to do at home for £98. Has anyone done this? Do you need to know science or be a kids entertainer type? Thanks in advance!

AjasLipstick Sun 22-Apr-18 01:41:26

My friend did a sort of build a bear party in a box and it was very good. You don't need to be a kid's entertainer type...just treat it like a playdate with more kids and an activity.

Check the contents of the box and read the instructions in advance...so you know what's in store for you but it should be easy and fun.

Kimlek Sun 22-Apr-18 05:53:37

I hadn’t thought of it like an extended play date lipstick. That could work... They’re smart 9 year olds and I just don’t want them getting bored. One girl last year was very rude saying ‘this is the most boring party ever’! 😱 Everyone else was having a great time. Guess who’s not coming this year!

Imalldonethanks Sun 22-Apr-18 06:24:29

£98 seems a lot for kit to make slime!

It's very easy to make and loads of recipes out there- just buy the stuff yourself and some cheap bowls from the pound shop.

I've not done it as a party but have made it with 6 kids on a play date and they've loved it.

Might go and train as a slime party consultant... £300!!!

Lotsofplanetshaveanorth Sun 22-Apr-18 06:38:58

I think at 9 I would try and avoid having to be too much of an entertainer - you could get slime ingredients and bowls from the pound shop and print / laminate the recipes.

Loads and loads of mess though ... are there easier options the birthday girl would really enjoy?

Lotsofplanetshaveanorth Sun 22-Apr-18 06:40:33

Sorry for the accidental plagiarism imalldone blush

Kimlek Sun 22-Apr-18 14:05:05

It’s not just slime... there’s 7 experiments. But I get your points. Her party last year consisted of lots of traditional games and everyone had tons of fun bar one girl. She wants a different ‘theme’ this year. It’s tricky to think of things to do at home with 15 girls that’s not too weather dependant (she’s soooo not having a mega sleepover!). Any ideas much appreciated.

Lotsofplanetshaveanorth Sun 22-Apr-18 15:40:44

Goodness 15?! That’s a lot in the house (but my house is tiny so I might be projecting!)

Could you set up the experiments in ‘bases’ to take the pressure off the entertaining element?

pannetone Sun 22-Apr-18 19:50:19

We did a science party for my DS when he was 8. No party in a box then so we bought different bits and pieces - I remember doing balloon helicopters and kaleidoscopes. (Slime wasn’t such a ‘thing’ then!)

I’d say go for it - and having all the stuff sent together for you sounds worth it. Our guests were busy having fun making and playing with what they made - and didn’t want explanations of the science behind it! And the making and the experiments were the entertainment- neither DH or I felt the need to adopt a wacky scientist persona!

Kimlek Tue 24-Apr-18 08:40:18

pannetone thank you. I’ve since found some decent website experiments albeit American so may not be able to get all ingredients over here. I’m concerned the £98 box will be the ‘scientist’ doing rather than the kids.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: