Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Worst food to have food poisoning from?

(122 Posts)
IronicWittyUsername Sat 21-Apr-18 07:30:52

I have it from chicken pakora

Only think I ate last night.

Not only am I stuck to the toilet while also piling in a bowl of fucking burns.

IronicWittyUsername Sat 21-Apr-18 07:31:03

Puking

peachypetite Sat 21-Apr-18 07:32:22

That came on very quickly. You sure it's not something else?

Glitteryfrog Sat 21-Apr-18 07:35:00

Fried chicken. I still can't eat KFC 25 years later.

EdithWeston Sat 21-Apr-18 07:44:30

The very worst would be tinned duck - the source of the last botulism outbreak.

My worst was from catering at a residential college. Not sure which foodstuff, but the outbreak was definitely traced to that kitchen. I was absolutely floored for 48 hours.

IronicWittyUsername Sat 21-Apr-18 07:45:04

It's about 10 hours since I ate it. Dr Google says it can come on about 8 hours after eating.

Woke up with horrendous cramps. Then this. Trying not to wake anyone else up.

I'm just thankful I'm not on a holiday with my family and 1 bathroom to share and we all have it, I read that in some trashy mag once and it's haunted me!

It's so beautifully sunny too. I hope I recover so I can at least sit in the garden

IronicWittyUsername Sat 21-Apr-18 07:47:15

I didn't have food poisoning after kfc but I had a painful tummy. I've not eaten it since. So yeah I can see why that's put you off. I won't be eating chicken pakora for a long long time. If ever.

Jinglesplodge Sat 21-Apr-18 07:49:37

Rice. Truly terrible. Never reheat rice unless it's absolutely red hot all the way through...

IronicWittyUsername Sat 21-Apr-18 07:51:31

Yes I've heard that about rice.

Is it not that even if you heat it if it has the bug it won't kill it?

Sounds awful

LostInShoebiz Sat 21-Apr-18 07:53:45

Baked beans. Have you ever brought those up again undigested? The stuff of nightmares.

MrsDc7 Sat 21-Apr-18 07:56:00

I've had it twice. Once from a chicken kiev and once from sushi. Both were as bad as the other envy

dontticklethetoad Sat 21-Apr-18 07:57:09

I had food poisoning from either chicken or eggs in Spain a few years ago. Campylobacter.
TMI I thought my bum was going to turn inside out. I spent a good few nights hallucinating in the shower, alternating the water between hot and cold water. It took me weeks to recover. It was the worst ill health I have ever experienced.

Tbh it still affects me now on a MH level. If I wake up randomly in the night my half asleep brain thinks the awful stomach cramps are going to start etc. I'm terrified I'm going to get it again.

It has also made me stress about the dcs getting ill. I'm not bothered about sick or poo, but I'd hate for them to experience what I did.

doodlejump1980 Sat 21-Apr-18 07:57:18

Scallops. I was floored for about 5 days! I did lose 9lbs so every cloud...

dontticklethetoad Sat 21-Apr-18 07:58:15

Reading that back it makes me sound a bit pathetic. I'm really quite resilient, honestly!

Fflursan Sat 21-Apr-18 08:08:27

Pork chops. I was ill within hours. Spent the night on the bathroom floor, though it was a slow death. Never eaten a chop since!

Hoppinggreen Sat 21-Apr-18 08:11:56

Chicken drumsticks
Came out of several orrifices for 4 hours with hardly a break
Couldn’t eat for 2 days afterwards and then not meat for over a month.
It’s almost a year ago and I still can’t eat chicken on the bone
Lost no weight at all sadly

FreeButtonBee Sat 21-Apr-18 08:14:02

Chicken in Vietnam. Ruined me for days and I was travelling alone so it was pretty awful. Lost. Ton of weight though 😬

Musicalstatues Sat 21-Apr-18 08:15:36

Chips from the chip shop around 7pm, hit me about 3am and dh about an hour later. We were living in a small flat with one bathroom and spent the next 12 hours fighting over it. I struggled to eat for a good few days after it and although it was 9 years ago now neither of us eat chip shop food still. Bleurgh.

PamDooveOrangeJoof Sat 21-Apr-18 08:17:03

I got ecoli from chicken in Laos. Then had to go to hospital by the time I reached Thailand. Thought I was dying and made me ill for months. Bleurrgghhhh

Bubble2bubble Sat 21-Apr-18 08:17:48

Bean sprouts. Cooked a packet that was just going out of date. Had no idea how toxic they could be. I do now...

Zoflorabore Sat 21-Apr-18 08:18:12

I had a terrible strain of salmonella in 2002 when I was pg with my ds.
I was in hospital for 11 days.

I had bought a sandwich from a deli on my lunch break which had home made mayo on the knife which cut it. The mayo was made with eggs that were from Spain and were unvaccinated, can't remember all of the details.

There were about 50/60 people affected and one person sadly died.

I couldn't eat eggs for over 5 years after that.

TroysMammy Sat 21-Apr-18 08:18:57

I had diarrhoea half an hour after eating homemade carbonara the other day. The diarrhoea was just the one episode but the garlicky eggy sick throughout the night and the next day was horrendous.

I was not feeling ropey before that at all.

TroysMammy Sat 21-Apr-18 08:22:21

I also was sick after eating small prawns in a restaurant at lunchtime a few years ago. I was on the bus home, hour journey and could feel my temperature rise. Luckily I had a carrier bag because the toilet was out of order. Sitting on a bus with a cooling bag of sick on my lap for another 45 minutes was not pleasant.

wulliesbucket Sat 21-Apr-18 08:22:50

donttickle me too! i have never been so ill and im usually tough as old boots.

Aph413 Sat 21-Apr-18 08:23:00

Not me but my sibling got campylobactor from a chicken burger and ended up taking 12 weeks for the diarrhoea to finally go away.
As far as I remember the place got shut down for unsafe food practices after because the doctors surgery reported it to environmental health.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: