Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Any londoners about?

(63 Posts)
upthewolves Sat 21-Apr-18 05:26:50

Hello Mners! Just after some advice.

Me and my family are traveling to UK from Aus next month. We are flying into Heathrow to visit family in London the first few days before going up north to where we are from (on train).

We need to get from Heathrow, where we land on Saturday, to our family member in Bexleyheath on the Sunday. We will have 2 suitcases, 2 carry on bags, a trunki case, a 2.5 year old and a 6 month old. Possibly a stroller but haven't yet decided whether to bring it, might just put him in sling. We will probably not have slept since getting on the plane!

DH reckons we are getting from Heathrow to Bexleyheath on the tube and train. I think this is a mental idea. Am I being a wuss?

Cant get taxi as need car seats. Same issue with being picked up by relative.

Can anyone local tell us what would be the best way to complete this mission?

Thanks in advance!

dinosaurfeet Sat 21-Apr-18 05:46:47

I use the Citymapper app and it's suggesting you'll have quite a long journey. To do it with the fewest changes you'll need to:
- get the tube from Heathrow to Leicester Square (50 mins)
- walk 12 mins to Charing Cross station
- get a 30 minute train to Bexleyheath

Other routes aren't much shorter and involve several changes. I'd honestly get a taxi. I wouldn't want to drag kids and luggage for that long a journey. You'll also potentially have to wait around at Charing X for the train to leave).

Use the 'tfl journey planner' website for the other option or look at taxi companies local to your relative to get the best price - don't jump in a taxi at Heathrow, that will cost a small fortune.

CarpetMothsFuckOff Sat 21-Apr-18 05:49:22

I'm a born and bred Londoner and personally I wouldn't attempt that journey after a long flight with young children and luggage. I'd get a taxi - but pre book it!

CarpetMothsFuckOff Sat 21-Apr-18 05:50:11

Oh I see you need car seats. Can you not check them in? Some taxi companies will let you hire them too.

outcrops Sat 21-Apr-18 05:50:51

Lots of taxi companies provide car seats. The ones at Gatwick definitely do.

upthewolves Sat 21-Apr-18 05:50:56

Thanks Dinosaur I'll have a look at the app. I think we will book the hotel at Heathrow for the first night so we are not doing the journey straight from the flight.

Also I think we will be doing this trip the day of the royal wedding. Is that likely to mean it's busy? Or do people just watch that on tv as there is nowhere to actually attend?

CarpetMothsFuckOff Sat 21-Apr-18 05:51:00

Tbh if you think the tube and train are a mental idea (you're right BTW) but also won't get a taxi I'm unsure as to what you think your options are really.

upthewolves Sat 21-Apr-18 05:51:36

Oh new replies - thanks so much I'll look into the carseats on taxis thing!

outcrops Sat 21-Apr-18 05:52:58

Also if you do get trains Imd suggest Gatwick express to Paddington and then bakerloo line to Charing X would be easier than getting the Piccadilly line and walking

CarpetMothsFuckOff Sat 21-Apr-18 05:55:30

Yes I imagine it will be super busy the day of the Royal wedding.

OliviaStabler Sat 21-Apr-18 05:56:06

I agree about a pre-booked taxi. Tell them what you need and they will provide it. Addison Lee is one my friend always uses for airport transfers www.addisonlee.com/

hipposinacircle Sat 21-Apr-18 05:56:41

You don't need car seats in a black taxi so look into pre-booking one of those.

The journey from Heathrow to Bexleyheath will be long and a pain, even if using the Heathrow Express, especially on a Sunday. Save yourselves the hassle.

flumpybear Sat 21-Apr-18 06:14:55

Taxi without a doubt! Prebook car seats though I think you can ride in a taxi without them (should you want to?!)

Cheeseandapple Sat 21-Apr-18 06:19:45

Could one of you get a taxi with the luggage and one get public transport with the children?

RicStar Sat 21-Apr-18 06:21:04

Even if you stay in a hotel and do journey the next day - then you will need car seats / black taxi at some point unless your relative lives really really close to Bexleyheath station. You do not want to add luggage etc on a bus in to the trip . So I would look at taxi all the way or you or your relative buying basic seats and picking you up. I don't think the royal wedding will make much difference but Saturday in summer in London it will be busy everywhere regardless.

backsackcraic Sat 21-Apr-18 06:24:53

Can you hire a car and car seats for your stay?

Squelchsquerch Sat 21-Apr-18 06:27:25

Book a taxi. Unicorn transfers can provide taxis with car seats.

Ifailed Sat 21-Apr-18 06:54:47

there is an alternative route by train: get a cab to Feltham, which is a couple of miles from Heathrow. From there, a train to Waterloo. A short walk to Waterloo east, and then a train to Bexleyheath.

PeonyTruffle Sat 21-Apr-18 07:00:33

I live in bexleyheath - I did that trip on public transport once to meet DH from a flight and it took forever.

I would 100,000% get a cab, it’ll be far less hassle than dragging all the stuff and kids across London. Plus southeastern (train company that would be the last leg of your journey out to bexleyheath) are notoriously shit

The cab will probably be around £60 ish if you pre book a local company to meet you at the airport

PeonyTruffle Sat 21-Apr-18 07:02:12

I use this firm for airport transfers

https://www.datacars.com/airport-transfers/airport-transfers-terms-and-conditions/

KoshaMangsho Sat 21-Apr-18 07:06:06

I would pre book a cab with car seats. The journey from Heathrow is just too long to Bexleyheath.

GreenEyedGoose Sat 21-Apr-18 07:09:07

Ask your relatives to book their local taxi service for you from Heathrow. You have a lot of luggage and maybe you could cull some stuff?

We travel UK to Aus with with 2 dc and you have to think about getting around with all this luggage.

Don't use Addison Lee they are very expensive.

anothernamechanged Sat 21-Apr-18 07:11:12

Cabs are exempt from the car seat rules. Children can travel in a taxi either with the normal seatbelt or on your lap (depending on age). I'm not saying it's right but that's the law apparently.

anothernamechanged Sat 21-Apr-18 07:13:17

Also, I'd say to take the pushchair (and the sling), that way you can recline it and load it up with the trunki, hand luggage, coats etc rather than having to carry stuff if your do put the youngest in the sling.

eurochick Sat 21-Apr-18 07:13:57

Get a cab. It's a hellish slow journey on public transport. As others have said if you prebook you can sort car seats. Get your rellies to talk to a local Bexleyheath firm. Addison Lee are huge and would certainly have what you need but are more expensive.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: