Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Who is at fault or is it 50/50. (Pic included)

(40 Posts)
TaliZorahVasNormandy Fri 20-Apr-18 16:33:27

Was getting DC from school. Looking for a place to park at the bottom of the school road. I turn around in said junction in picture (Road is big enough to do it) My car gets to the position shown and I stop, because other car is there, cant go any further. Other car who is half on junction, half on road, he starts to reverse at speed, I beep the horn, but he still reversed into me, hitting the middle of my front bumper.

He says he's happy for 50/50 but he was reversing too fast. If it had been a minor bump my car wouldnt have the damage it does and I'd have agreed. But my car has a bent number plate and grill, and scuffs to the paint work. He has big scuff from the impact.

He always kept asking where my car was, so he obviously didnt see me. He hit me at an angle too, so if he'd checked his mirrors, he'd have seen my bright car behind him. I'll be honest, I dont know where he was reversing too either, because he wasnt reversing up the junction.

I'm still shaken up. It's not everyday I'm in an accident.

PrettyWisdomous Fri 20-Apr-18 16:36:36

Sounds like a "crash for cash" scam! You're not at fault.

dangermouseisace Fri 20-Apr-18 16:37:29

If you are stationary, and the other bloke is moving he is at fault.

It doesn't matter where in the road you are positioned. It could have been a child crossing the road, anything. He should have seen you.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Fri 20-Apr-18 16:38:34

That is what gets me. There are kids walking down that street around that time. He was going to the school himself.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Fri 20-Apr-18 16:39:28

Oh and his car was a people carrier type car, my car is a lot smaller.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 20-Apr-18 16:40:13

Did you mean to have the location on the image?

He reversed into you, his fault I think

TaliZorahVasNormandy Fri 20-Apr-18 16:40:38

Oh bugger. I didnt mean to do that.

dangermouseisace Fri 20-Apr-18 16:40:49

Bloody hell. He should have been taking extra care, not being reckless. Hope you're ok OP.

Madbengalmum Fri 20-Apr-18 16:41:57

He is at fault

TodayImThisName Fri 20-Apr-18 16:42:45

His fault but it doesn’t really matter as the insurers will deal with how they deal with it.... report it to them and see what happens.
Good luck.

KriticalSoul Fri 20-Apr-18 16:43:15

I don't get where you were.
Aren't you on the wrong side of the road?
How did he manage to hit your front bumper if he was reversing and you were over that side of the road?

However. if he'd already pulled out of the junction and then reversed back into you, I think its his fault.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Fri 20-Apr-18 16:43:52

I'm more angry now, than shaky, Danger My car is only a year old and I love that car. Now I'm worried, I'll get lumbered with 50/50 when it wasnt my fault.

endofthelinefinally Fri 20-Apr-18 16:43:56

Do you have a witness or dash cam footage?
Unfortunately scammers get away with this too often.

ShowOfHands Fri 20-Apr-18 16:44:08

I'm not entirely sure what you were doing. Was he reversing round the corner and you were just doing a wide u turn?

Surely the insurance company will decide?

TaliZorahVasNormandy Fri 20-Apr-18 16:45:55

I made a right turn, into the junction to turn around, the road is wide enough to do it. I stopped where the diagram shows, and he reversed back at me.

user1471459936 Fri 20-Apr-18 16:48:45

Aren't those double yellow lines? You shouldn't be stopped there if so!

TaliZorahVasNormandy Fri 20-Apr-18 16:50:34

User, I wasnt intending to stop. I was turn around to go back the way I came. I only stopped because his car was nearly out of the junction, but stationary at the time.

Parky04 Fri 20-Apr-18 16:50:52

Why is he a scammer? Sounds as though he wasn't paying enough attention and has reversed into OP stationary vehicle. Not everyone is fraudulent, mistakes do happen. Entirely the fault of the reversing vehicle.

user1471459936 Fri 20-Apr-18 16:51:32

Ah. Apologies. He's clearly a cheeky arse. His fault entirely.

Bufferingkisses Fri 20-Apr-18 16:52:03

I think that you shouldn't have stopped in a junction like that So, although he's at fault for reversing without checking, you were stationary on a junction and not travelling in the direction of the road as you'd turned your car to make a u turn. I think these manoeuvres are not allowed amd you should continue away from the junction to.find a safe place to.turn.

My instinct says an insurance company will say both at fault so 50/50. However they will decide regardless so all you can do is present the facts.and see what they say.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Fri 20-Apr-18 16:52:35

It's fine, user. I havent really explained it all that well.

africanprincessinscotland Fri 20-Apr-18 16:53:59

I don't understand either! If the cars had been in position on the photo, would we be looking at the front or rear of them? In any case, it's his fault. Let your insurance sort it out. Were there witnesses and did you take photos of the cars as they were at impact?

A couple of years ago I was driving down a narrow road, with a car in front of me. We both stopped, as there was a car turning into the road ahead so we had nowhere to go. At that point I was about 1.5m behind the first car. Then that car just started reversing! I beeped my horn but it was too late,it hit me as it tried to swing into the space right next to my car. I have no idea how they thought they had enough space to do the manoeuvre. I got out and the other driver just started shouting at me that I'd been too close, but we'd been stationary for about 30secs so how cold she not have seen me?! I couldn't see any damage so I just drove off, I really didn't want to have to deal with batshit crap driving woman any longer!

TaliZorahVasNormandy Fri 20-Apr-18 16:56:00

Unfortunately, I didnt have my phone at the time to take pictures. And the only witness was gone before I could speak to her.

snewname Fri 20-Apr-18 17:05:18

If you were stationary then he is at fault but you won't get anywhere unless there was a witness, as he will just dispute that you were stationary.

Missingstreetlife Fri 20-Apr-18 17:05:47

I think if hereverses into someone then insurance will say his fault

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: