Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How much in benefits will my relative be getting?

(22 Posts)
MuckyMallard Fri 20-Apr-18 16:25:45

I need to get a picture of the likely financial situation of a younger relative of mine. I know what she gets in housing benefit, but not the rest of her income. She is not working, a single parent in her early/mid twenties. Child is 4. I don't know whether she's on universal credit or not (isn't that a bad thing?) - does that depend on the area you live in? Will she be expected to look for a job, or if not yet, at what age of the child will she be required to job hunt?

All the names of the benefits etc. have changed over the years, so it is quite confusing to me.

The reason I would like to have a rough idea is to get a picture of her financial situation and if necessary, hopefully arrange some extra financial help for her within the family. I am not just being nosey! Does anyone know?

JenBarber Fri 20-Apr-18 16:29:55

She'll get Child Tax Credits which will be around £50 each week.

And Jobseeker's Allowance or Income Support at maybe £80 a week.

Housing Benefit never fully covers rent so some of her income will be topping up her rent. Hopefully council tax will be covered.

You sound lovely, BTW.

JenBarber Fri 20-Apr-18 16:31:29

If you help her finacially it'll need to be in cash or a Tesco shop or similar.

When they go through her finances whatever you give her will be taken out of her HB, as they'll see it as income.

MuckyMallard Fri 20-Apr-18 16:37:38

Oh dear I didn't consider that. Well cash could be arranged I guess, although it's obviously less convenient. Or the Tesco shop is a good idea.

Is that really all she'll be getting?

JenBarber Fri 20-Apr-18 16:39:01

And Child Benefit. About £20 a week.

feelslike Fri 20-Apr-18 16:39:39

I'm a single mum of a 4yo and I get £64pw child tax credits, £20.70pw child benefit, £73.10 income support and £116pw housing benefit (covers my full council house rent) and £13.07 council tax reduction (covers 85% of council tax after single person discount). Housing benefit and council tax will obviously vary depending on her housing/council tax costs, but the other benefits should be the same, unless she has any deductions or sanctions for income support.

If she's in a UC area, she might be getting a bit less, although if you know she's getting housing benefit, then it means she won't have switched to UC yet.

It sounds like a lovely gesture OP, but just be careful and get advice first - you don't want DWP to be querying payments into her account. Gifts from relatives are allowed, but I find it's better to have it in cash or gift cards, because I worry they might ask for bank statements and ask questions about where money has come from.

MuckyMallard Fri 20-Apr-18 16:39:57

OK. Thanks for your help.

OneEyedWillie Fri 20-Apr-18 16:45:44

I'm not in a UC area but that does make a difference I believe in how benefits are worked out and the amount awarded.

Assuming neither your relative or their DC are disabled or she's registered as a carer for someone else, and is claiming as a lone parent on income support then she would transfer to job seekers allowance once the youngest child turns five and be required to meet the conditions of claiming JSA and seek work of at least 16 hours per week. But that's under the old system, not UC.

HollowTalk Fri 20-Apr-18 16:53:36

I would have thought the best help she could get was someone who'd babysit so she could work part-time and get working tax credits.

MuckyMallard Fri 20-Apr-18 17:00:01

Would she be a lot better off then, even if it was a low paid job (say working in a shop?)?

OneEyedWillie Fri 20-Apr-18 17:22:49

No, she won't be a lot better off as most mum's will tell you, single or otherwise, that it will be a struggle to find a job that is going to fit in between school hours - it's the holy grail. By the time you factor in childcare costs (because that's not fully covered), travel and paying for school dinners as you're not eligible for FSM if receiving WTC.

I was lucky as when I went back to work 5 years ago I had a subsidised travel card for 6 weeks, an in-work payment of £40 a week & 6-week run on of housing and council tax to help until I received my first wage so I didn't end up in debt. That went here about two years ago.

gamerwidow Fri 20-Apr-18 17:23:35

Probably as long as she stays part time. There is a tipping point where working more actually starts to cost you a lot of money.

Babyroobs Fri 20-Apr-18 17:30:46

If she worked 16 hours a week she would be better off as she could claim working tax credits.

Ivegotfamilyandidrinkcupsoftea Fri 20-Apr-18 17:34:20

You could put her details in to a benefits calculator online. One is called entitled to

kaytee87 Fri 20-Apr-18 17:34:25

I'm not sure as I don't know much about benefits but don't pay money into her account or even give regular cash amounts as that can be seen as income.
Best way to help is a regular shop as someone mentioned and new shoes / school uniform for child when needed.

RunMummyRun68 Fri 20-Apr-18 17:38:25

'is that all she will be getting'

come on,council tax,free school meals,jsa,tax credits and child benefit. you'll be getting all that

Mousefunky Fri 20-Apr-18 17:43:50

Income support stops when your youngest child turns five. She will then be put on JSA and expected to go to any interviews/courses the job centre ask her to otherwise she will lose her benefits. She will likely get in the region of £160 a week excluding housing benefit but income support is paid fortnightly. Housing benefit doesn’t always cover the entire rent so she may have to put some towards. Council tax is reduced significantly but not entirely paid for. It’s not a good or ideal situation to be in and she would undoubtedly be better off financially working 16 hours a week and claiming working tax credits esp when her DC is in full time education (if they aren’t already.)

You sound lovely.

Mousefunky Fri 20-Apr-18 17:45:07

Oh and all children in KS1 are entitled to free school meals and I think those on benefits are also entitled to school uniform vouchers but I’m not sure how much that is.

harlaandgoddard Fri 20-Apr-18 17:49:52

You can have a look at an online benefits calculator if you know her circumstances, which will give you a rough idea of what she’s getting and will also let you know if her area is UC or not.

She will be expected to look for work when the child starts reception (so will be switched to jobseekers then). And yes she will be better of working at least 16 hours once the child starts school (assuming they haven’t yet).

Soundsgood Fri 20-Apr-18 17:50:24

I think all school children age 5-7 get free school meals.

Tax credits would pay 70% childcare.

Roomba Fri 20-Apr-18 17:51:43

Even food shops or gifts could be considered as 'notional income' if she is daft enough to mention it to the jobcentre and word it in the wrong way, just to warn you. It's rare, in my experience, but I did once see a guy have money deducted from his benefit payments as a friend was regularly helping him out. That was a real 'jobsworth' decision, but I imagine decisions like that have become more common over the last few years.

Highfever Fri 20-Apr-18 18:10:00

The kindest thing you can do is help and support her to think about her future job wise as she'll be required look for work when youngest is 5. If she wants to retrain tell her to speak to the lone parent advisor at the job centre.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: