Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Tightwad DH!!

(126 Posts)
Falconhoof1 Fri 20-Apr-18 16:07:17

My DH took DD13 to get some sports wear for school. After he'd bought it he asked her for the money. She only gets a small amount of pocket money! So I reimbursed her the £15 when she told me. Another time he bought some books (some for DS birthday and some extra ones). He asked DD of she would like 3 of the books. She said yes so he said well that's £12!! If he'd said would you like to buy these books and she said yes I would understand but she thought it was a present! Am I right in thinking he a total tightwad?

OdileDeCaray Fri 20-Apr-18 16:08:57

Tightwad 8/10.

OdileDeCaray Fri 20-Apr-18 16:09:20

10/10 if he'd made a profit! grin

Falconhoof1 Fri 20-Apr-18 16:10:25

Hadn't thought of that! 😂😂😂

Sn0tnose Fri 20-Apr-18 16:15:30

I don't have children so I'll freely admit I'm no parenting expert, but I was under the impression that it was kind of the parent's responsibility to make sure their children had the right sports equipment for school etc? So he's pushing all of that cost onto you because you have to reimburse her. That is beyond being a tightwad.

How're you coping with that?

Falconhoof1 Fri 20-Apr-18 16:23:15

Well I did think it was really sneaky as there is no way I wouldn't have paid it when I found out. But it is out of our joint money so he just made himself look like a tightwad in front of his daughter! I don't get it really. I'll ask him later what it was all about. The books though! That was just because he bought too many and couldn't be arsed taking them back to the shop for a refund. So he got it from DD! Tight. Wad. 😂

Falconhoof1 Fri 20-Apr-18 16:26:17

I didn't reimburse her for the books though as I said she should have told him she didn't want them if she had to pay. Life lesson in assertiveness!

MothertotheLordsofmisrule Fri 20-Apr-18 16:35:16

Yeah I would say stuff for school is the responsibility of the parent.

Definitely tight!

LemonSqueezy0 Sat 21-Apr-18 14:29:26

He sounds unbelievably lazy, and tight 😂 I'd find my shrivelling up around him - such unattractive qualities!

YearOfYouRemember Sat 21-Apr-18 14:32:24

Dh told me recently he had to buy his own toiletries out of his pocket money. We pay for everything with the kids but if they want something higher end than what I'd buy for them they sometimes contribute.

Lanaa Sat 21-Apr-18 15:47:42

I don't think this is funny. He charges his own teenage child for sports kit and books? It's almost financially abusive. I don't know if that's the right works but it's not being tight. Tight is keeping boiled water in a flask and using teabags more than once. Charging your own child money for essentials when they have no income is abhorrent. You need to put a stop to this immediately.

DamnDeDoubtanceIsSpartacus Sat 21-Apr-18 16:17:19

That's not tight, that's just mean and a bit nasty.

Delatron Sat 21-Apr-18 16:48:41

I can't believe a father would behave like that. It's not 'tight' it's cruel...

Delatron Sat 21-Apr-18 16:49:23

Oh and I wouldn't be with a man who behaved like that towards their children. Has he always been like this?

thebear1 Sat 21-Apr-18 16:51:02

He is a dick and your dd will look back on it and realise.

GreySkiesAboveMe Sat 21-Apr-18 16:51:41

I agree with Lanaa your dh isn’t tight, he’s a dick!

Shmithecat Sat 21-Apr-18 16:53:22

He's fucking horrid. HTH.

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Sat 21-Apr-18 16:53:38

That's shit. No way would I be asking my DC to buy their own sports kit, not least because they have to wear the logo'd t-shirts at £6 each!

Smeddum Sat 21-Apr-18 16:55:35

Parents provide what children need. It’s not being tight, it’s being a dick.
The books were a mean stunt too.

MessyBun247 Sat 21-Apr-18 16:56:46

UGH. Agree with pp who said it’s more than just being tight. Does he have other dickish tendencies?

emelsie Sat 21-Apr-18 16:57:11

Life lesson in assertiveness ? So she didn't feel comfortable telling her own dad she didn't want to buy the books off him, very strange all of it , he sounds like a bit of a bully to be honest.

gamerchick Sat 21-Apr-18 16:57:25

But it is out of our joint money so he just made himself look like a tightwad in front of his daughter!

I hope you said those exact words to him and then have a chat about the lessons he’s teaching them.

Graduate223 Sat 21-Apr-18 16:57:26

Way more than a tightwad. Financially abusive.

peachypetite Sat 21-Apr-18 16:57:42

You don't seem to be dealing with this properly.

SlowDown76mph Sat 21-Apr-18 16:58:12

Is he her father? Very weird attitude.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: