Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Alfie Evans' parents refused permission to appeal

(209 Posts)
Itscurtainsforyou Fri 20-Apr-18 14:30:07

Just that https://www.supremecourt.uk/docs/in-the-matter-of-alfie-evans-court-order.pdf

Tragic case for all involved.

Marcipex Fri 20-Apr-18 14:32:44

So sad.

Samcro Fri 20-Apr-18 14:32:54

that is so sad, his poor parents, it must be so hard.

TheJunctionBaby Fri 20-Apr-18 14:36:50

I'm heartbroken for them. And livid that they are being blocked at every turn.

Itscurtainsforyou Fri 20-Apr-18 14:37:41

It really is.

I've lost children before birth and had a very long stint in NICU with my very premature baby. He had to have surgery at Alder Hey and a number of times we thought he wouldn't make it.

We made friends in hospital with some parents whose babies never came home, losing a child is one of the worst things a parent can experience. I really don't blame them for fighting for him, but I hope they can now accept the medical diagnosis and let him go.

Marcipex Fri 20-Apr-18 14:39:31

I admit to not understanding why. I don't see how he can be any worse off. Surely pain relief can be sorted for the journey.

NerrSnerr Fri 20-Apr-18 14:40:09

I agree that it’s heartbreaking for the parents but what will further appeals achieve. Alfie has no chance of recovery, there is no treatment that can help. It’s not fair to prolong his life through all this, with people shouting and arguing at his bedside.

I hope his parents step back from the ‘army’ and spend time saying goodbye to their baby and that Alfie has a peaceful and dignified death.

MirandaWest Fri 20-Apr-18 14:43:40

It is so desperately sad. But I really can’t see how anything can change what is going to happen.

NerrSnerr Fri 20-Apr-18 14:43:46

Marci how is that in Alfie’s best interest? All that upheaval, being given more medication etc. However awful for the parents they have to consider what’s best for Alfie. If he goes to Italy it’s possible they’ll keep him on life support indefinitely. How will the parents afford to live there? I bet those offering to fund won’t pay their accommodation and living expenses for decades will they?

DrEustaciaBenson Fri 20-Apr-18 14:44:40

I don't see how he can be any worse off.

And he won't be any better off. The courts must make decisions based on what is in the best interests of the child, and there's no way that it can be in Alfie's best interests to be taken on a long, stressful, potentially dangerous journey which offers no prospect of any improvement in his condition at the end of it.

IAmMatty Fri 20-Apr-18 14:45:02

Ahhh, it's very, very sad. But he has no meaningful existence, and may only experience pain. Poor Alfie.

Hoosh Fri 20-Apr-18 14:46:01

I think that the judgment (I've just read the link) is a very clear, fair, and compassionate one. The whole situation is such a tragedy.

StatisticallyChallenged Fri 20-Apr-18 14:46:42

Heartbreaking for the parents, but the correct decision IMO.

IAmMatty Fri 20-Apr-18 14:48:29

Marcipex I think I read somewhere that his seizures can be triggered by movement, so taking him to a different country when he can never be improved or cured would be spectacularly cruel, if that's true.

LineyHasntLeftTheBuilding Fri 20-Apr-18 14:48:56

It was an application of habeas corpus. It was always going to be refused. It wasn't arguing a point of law about AE's case.

Samcro Fri 20-Apr-18 14:49:43

you can't move a seriously ill child and take them for a plane ride.

Doyoumind Fri 20-Apr-18 14:51:40

I agree Hoosh that the judgment is clear, fair and compassionate. I hope his parents and those supporting them come to see this.

stitchglitched Fri 20-Apr-18 14:53:23

This link gives the statement from Alder Hey. I hope his parents are able to step away from the army now and have good support around them.

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/alder-hey-speaks-out-after-14556121.amp

StylishMummy Fri 20-Apr-18 14:54:21

He has seizures when he's moved, he's dosed with dozens of different drugs and has an invasive ventilator, the poor little lad needs to be allowed to pass away peacefully and his parents need support to overcome their grief. An awful situation but the right decision

IheartNiles Fri 20-Apr-18 14:59:28

A good outcome

HariboIsMyCrack Fri 20-Apr-18 15:04:37

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

chickenpoxy189 Fri 20-Apr-18 15:05:49

He either dies in England, or in Italy, after a lot more unnecessary pain and trauma.

Clearly it’s in his best interest to stay in England.

We don’t have parental rights in this country, just parental responsibility. Alfie is his own person - he doesn’t belong to his parents and they can’t do whatever they want with him.

It’s right that the courts are there to act in his best interest.

SusanWalker Fri 20-Apr-18 15:07:53

I think that judgement is beautifully written, with compassion for both Alfie and his parents.

LanaorAna2 Fri 20-Apr-18 15:08:11

Big relief. Poor little boy.

ItsuAddict Fri 20-Apr-18 15:09:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: