Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Does anyone use a whistle to retrieve children?

(79 Posts)
HatesWriting Fri 20-Apr-18 14:29:03

It's just occurred to me that it would be less effort than yelling over headphones or tv or drums or fights upstairs.

Does anyone actually do this?

zzzzz Fri 20-Apr-18 14:30:53

grin

Though I may whistle for dh when he does one of his tedious wander off to look at something in shops.blush

Surfingwhippet Fri 20-Apr-18 14:30:58

Captain Von Trap

peachypetite Fri 20-Apr-18 14:31:46

Are you Captain von Trapp?

negomi90 Fri 20-Apr-18 14:31:58

Mr Von Trapp from the sound of music.

NightRaven52 Fri 20-Apr-18 14:32:32

DS isn't old enough to wonder off yet but I'm liking the idea of a whistle. In my head I'm picturing myself using one to train him to be like the Von Trapp Children grin

rabbitsandrhubarb Fri 20-Apr-18 14:33:02

I used to ring a bell - we have a big garden and a field, easier to ring the bell for meals, time to come it etc, rather than yelling or tramping round trying to find them!

But I may have had a slightly eccentric parenting style (doesnt seem to have harmed them so far...)

Dynamitewithalaserbeam Fri 20-Apr-18 14:34:05

I used to take a whistle to the park, and to the beach Usually when there were a group of us with multiple children.

it worked well (though I got some funny looks).

I'm not sure coded whistle instructions in the house are exactly the same thing grin

DownAtFraggleRock Fri 20-Apr-18 14:34:14

We had a family whistle when I was a kid - very useful in big shops grin

Dad would do it and we'd go back find them. Seems really old fashioned now.

RunningjustasfastasIcan99 Fri 20-Apr-18 14:34:25

We used to live opposite a playground. I used my teachers whistle. A lot more effective smile

yakari Fri 20-Apr-18 14:35:19

Totally outing but my mum use to have a whistle - in fairness we grew up in a home with a few acres so it was easier for her than shouting. God we'd run like the wind when we heard that whistle - as did the dog. Friends that came over thought it was awesome.
Happy days grin

abigamarone Fri 20-Apr-18 14:35:41

I ring a bell for the cats' tea. Similar thing really.

Dementedswan Fri 20-Apr-18 14:36:11

I do! By accident tho and only on a dog walk. Dog treats in one pocket. Sweets in another and if they go too far ahead I toot the whistle and they come back. So much less stressful than shouting four names grin

littleducks Fri 20-Apr-18 14:37:21

Yes not at home but in park. I frequently watch them turn cock head to listen then ignore though....

megletthesecond Fri 20-Apr-18 14:37:34

I have a bell I sometimes ring when food is ready. They pay more attention to it than my voice.

Ratonastick Fri 20-Apr-18 14:38:23

I have a whistle. My dad gave it to me when DS was born. I was scandalised at the time, but now wonder why he didn’t get me a louder one.

CrazyAss Fri 20-Apr-18 14:38:35

My mum used to summon us with a whistle (big garden). We all had our own signals and then one for all of us.

Dynamitewithalaserbeam Fri 20-Apr-18 14:39:21

Mine are teenagers now so we communicate by WhatsApp.

They respond to phone messages even better than they responded to the whistle, and certainly a million times better than they reponded to my voice, which they seemed to become deaf to at about the age of 4 confused

Aph413 Fri 20-Apr-18 14:39:31

My parents did it when I was young. I'm 27 now and personally think it was genius, to be fair I have 7 siblings so we needed rounding up when at the beach or park. We used to hear the whistle and come running.

BertrandRussell Fri 20-Apr-18 14:40:35

I had a hand bell.

HatesWriting Fri 20-Apr-18 14:41:12

Ha ha. I think I must watch sound of music again as that whistle didn't suck in my memory for some reason.

The idea that it would offend people within the earshot is a problem, but then again I think maybe less offensive than shouting like a fishwife?

It might sounds like a cop-out but I have multiple sclerosis and the neuro fatigue is relentless. I tire myself out yelling after them all the time and need some sort of alternative, to preserve myself. Not sure I could use a whistle in a shop though! Hopefully wouldn't have to as I've managed to train them sort-of to stay close and not run around in a shop. Probably helps we don't shop much.

HatesWriting Fri 20-Apr-18 14:42:14

Brilliant. Am loving how many people have had a crack at it, one way or another!

MothertotheLordsofmisrule Fri 20-Apr-18 14:46:11

My youngest sons cub leader had a whistle which rounded them up when out in the woods last year.

It so effective that my dh who had used to be in the same cub pack many many years ago came back as wellgrin

MiniLeopardInTheHouse Fri 20-Apr-18 14:46:48

This did make me laugh OP. I know people who use bells and gongs, certainly. Love the Sound of Music but had completely forgotten about that whistle. Might try it and hopefully the DCs will be less selectively deaf than the dogs!

Dynamitewithalaserbeam Fri 20-Apr-18 14:49:16

People don't object to whistles for dogs, so I don't know whey they get so offended for children. If you are in pain and can sit on a bench knowing for sure they will come back when whistled for, surely that's much better than staying at home.

I used a combination of threat and bribe for whistle reponse. The rule was they had to stay within earshot. If they didn't come back it was either because they were deliberately ignoring, or that they had deliberately gone too far. Either way they knew there'd be trouble - the usual punishment was to have to stay by my side for a certain amount of time. If they all came when asked they would get whatever treat finished up the day (icecreams for example).

I found it worked really well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: