Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

School have banned sandals for "H&S reasons"

(63 Posts)
PyongyangKipperbang Fri 20-Apr-18 14:14:19

eh?!

Will be asking the (very nice and sensible) secretary about it later but from what I have been able to gather, its because the new head teacher thinks that girls are more likely to fall over while wearing them.

As a mother of girls aged 21, 16, 13 and 6 I have not experienced this, sure they fall over but your average primary school aged child does that whatever they are wearing surely? My two sons have fallen over far more between them than their sisters, despite living in trainers practically from birth!

Witchend Fri 20-Apr-18 14:21:49

It's not falling over. It's dropping things on their toes.

tellybear Fri 20-Apr-18 14:24:23

I think it's probably to do with dropping stuff and the foot getting hurt that way, which is why they want closed footwear.

Now not allowing boots in the winter, as per DD's primary. That's a puzzle...

Amomentofbeauty Fri 20-Apr-18 14:24:47

It's also having their foot really hurt if they accidentally put it under a chair leg that another child then puts their full weight on. Normal shoe, slight mark. Sandals = really painful bruise, tears, disruption, potential trip to first aid.

WaxOnFeckOff Fri 20-Apr-18 14:24:54

Sandlas are often poorly fitted by parents and children do get the front bit caught and fall more plus it's leaving their feet more exposed to things falling on them. If boys wear trainers then why not the girls?

hippy1952 Fri 20-Apr-18 14:25:21

If it means open toe sandles I totally agree with the ban.

Sirzy Fri 20-Apr-18 14:25:44

I think toes needing to be covered is a pretty sensible rule. I have worked in schools where that was also the expection of staff footwear

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 20-Apr-18 14:26:15

It's common sense surely.

Spillages and stepping on toes and stoppages would he a huge risk.

Plus Some sandals are delicate crappy things that wouldn't stand up to running about and climbing .

Plus tbh the grip on sandals is shit.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 20-Apr-18 14:26:43

Droppages

justabunchofbunting Fri 20-Apr-18 14:29:42

what constitutes a sandal? Are they banning ballet style shoes as well? there are loads of styles of girls shoe other than traditional sandal which leave parts of the foot open and so would be an issue if it was about dropping things on the foot.
Its also actually really hard to find smart girls footwear that is completely enclosed but not a boot.
I had this issue at somewhere I worked where an overzealous manager decided I could not wear ankle boots.... so I came back with normal womens shoes on... which he again vetoed as they did not cover my whole foot..... I had to take him round all the other women working there and show him that every single one of them was wearing that style of shoe and that most womens shoes leave part of the foot uncovered!

If its just the open toe that is banned then I suppose thats fine as it is a tripping hazard but banning anything that could be considered a sandal is going to leave you with very few options for footwear.

KurriKurri Fri 20-Apr-18 14:29:55

Since we're recounting stories of sandal related trauma..... A wasp once crawled into my open toed sandal and stung the bottom of my foot - I had an allergic reaction and ended up in hospital for a week - my calf swelled to double it's usual size, huge red weals all round my torse, mouth an throat swelled - hideous and painful.

Beware the sandal is all I have to say - it is catnip to stinging things.

TheFallenMadonna Fri 20-Apr-18 14:30:34

This is why people shouldn't use the words "Health and Safety", but should actually explain the risk.

rebeccabecca Fri 20-Apr-18 14:32:13

I thought no sandals was a pretty standard rule?

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 20-Apr-18 14:33:03

I do however find it hypocritical that sandals are banned however schools insist on school shoes and rarely allow ankle boots and decent girls shoes don't exist as just has pointed out.

#wewantdms

If they cared abiut h&s they'd ban the Mary Jane

SadieHH Fri 20-Apr-18 14:33:08

No sandals, no boots at our school. We always wore sandals at school in the dark ages and I managed to survive without dropping anything on my foot or being stabbed by a chair leg.

halcyondays Fri 20-Apr-18 14:33:46

Why would they be wearing sandals and not school shoes?

WaxOnFeckOff Fri 20-Apr-18 14:34:42

What would be the purpose of sending a child to school in sandals anyway? Surely they are the least practical of footwear options? For every parent who goes for a properly fitted, well made, leather adjustable sandal with proper grip and arch support, the next one sends their child in completly flat gladiator sandals...

Lancelottie Fri 20-Apr-18 14:38:02

Now, if we were back in the 70s/80s, and all children wore a nice sensible pair of brown Startrites all summer...

megletthesecond Fri 20-Apr-18 14:40:06

lanc my dd has them in patent black, chunky sole. They look ace with her shorts.

TinklyLittleLaugh Fri 20-Apr-18 14:41:18

My kids wore those and the eldest was born in 1994.

leccybill Fri 20-Apr-18 14:42:12

Pretty standard rule. Staff in our school aren't allowed open toed either.

TryingToGetFired Fri 20-Apr-18 14:46:26

Schools and their daft rules - you have to laugh or you'd just tear your hair out. How seemly intelligent people can spend their days focusing on stupid shit like - you have to tuck your shirt in unless you are wearing a summer shirt and then it must be untucked - fucking seriously?!!! This is the shit they think is important. And they seem to be getting worse. Yesterday the HT waltzed around in a lovely light cotton summer dressed, while the kids were forced to wear their blazer - in 28C! My two were in poor shape when they got home after a 30min walk.

IAmMatty Fri 20-Apr-18 14:46:53

Some schools don't allow boots? Why is that then? I've never heard of that!

steff13 Fri 20-Apr-18 14:48:08

I've worked places where open-toed shoes weren't allowed. I don't think it's all that unusual.

TryingToGetFired Fri 20-Apr-18 14:49:23

All school around here have banned boots - even the primary schools! No idea why.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: