Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What are the strongest smelling laundy powders?

(24 Posts)
Whyarethebestnamestaken Fri 20-Apr-18 11:09:06

I used to use liquid but read that it is not so good for washing machine so have bought some Surf powder but it doesnt seem to have any smell at all.

I even put a wash out on the line yesterday and it didnt seem to have that outdoor washed smell that I love.

What is your favourite powder detergent with a lovely smell that lasts. I don't tend to use fabric conditioner.

Swallowfalls Fri 20-Apr-18 11:13:49

Daz, I used Persil for years but Daz smells much nicer, like clean washing should smell smile

Yvest Fri 20-Apr-18 11:14:25

I use surf and it has a really strong smell. I love it

lucysmam Fri 20-Apr-18 11:15:28

Tesco subbed my box of own brand for pink Surf, this week. I washed my towels & tea towels yesterday, line dried allllll day, and could still smell the Surf on them when I came to put them away last night. No idea if the smell will still be there when I go in the airing cupboard for them though.

ItchySeveredFoot Fri 20-Apr-18 11:20:29

My mum uses those scent booster things. They smell for ages.

vandrew4 Fri 20-Apr-18 11:25:58

I can't stand strong smelling washing powders. makes me feel a bit queasy when i smell it on other people as well

x2boys Fri 20-Apr-18 11:31:23

Daz for me too I think It smells lovely smile

InterstellarSleepingElla Fri 20-Apr-18 11:47:00

I use cheap (Aldi or Asda own brand wash tablets) and comfort intense fabric softener and Lenor scent boosters.

Whyarethebestnamestaken Fri 20-Apr-18 12:09:37

I think I will have a try with Daz. The Surf one I am using is Tropical Lily with fragrance release which sounded promising. It smells quite nice in the box but cannot smell it on clothes at all.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Sunafterstorm Fri 20-Apr-18 13:05:06

The worst for me is those Fairy capsule things. They stink.

MrsMarigold Fri 20-Apr-18 13:08:33

Those Fairy capsule things do stink, I have a friend who uses them and she literally wafts by, I hate it. But I hate all chemical smells

Proudmummy17 Fri 20-Apr-18 13:10:58

Are you sure it's not your washing machine? Maybe it needs a clean. I couldn't smell my washing either so put some white vinegar in the drum and did a 90 degree wash with no powder and no clothes... I can now smell my washing at last!! Xx

Believeitornot Fri 20-Apr-18 13:13:59

I hate the smell. I’ve had people come over to our house and it’s all I can smell! The chemicals!

Usually fairy is the smelliest- I’ve been caught out on self catered holidays and had to buy the fragrance stuff.

ILikeMyChickenFried Fri 20-Apr-18 13:15:17

Fairy used to smell lovely but those capsules are horrible.

PETRONELLAS Fri 20-Apr-18 13:16:53

The smell of Ariel Excel (green top) makes me so happy I’ve often wondered whether to start a thread asking what’s the closest perfume to it!

Enidblyton1 Fri 20-Apr-18 13:18:40

I've been using fairy tablets for years and then had a revelation when I tried a bottle of liquid pink Surf. The smell was amazing and lasted for ages. Maybe tablets just aren't as strong smelling?

MagicJay Fri 20-Apr-18 13:25:04

Another vote against Fairy. A couple of my close friends use it and their entire houses reek of it, as do they. It makes it quite hard to be with them in enclosed spaces which is quite hard. We do lots of dog walking together! 🤣

Cockmagic Fri 20-Apr-18 13:26:59

Another vote for daz, smells nice and fresh without smelling chemically if you know what I mean.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 20-Apr-18 13:27:27

Lidl formil.it smells lovely.

PlausibleSuit Fri 20-Apr-18 13:29:52

I think powder doesn't tend to smell as strong as liquid, in general.

The suspicious part of me thinks that because liquid is actually a bit less effective at actual cleaning than powder, the manufacturers add more scent to liquids to make them seem like they're getting things cleaner.

CALL ME CYNICAL etc.

Whyarethebestnamestaken Fri 20-Apr-18 15:27:59

UPDATE

I bought some Daz and the washing smells lovely out of the machine but is out on the line now and hoping it is still nice when I bring it in.

Thank you all and I may try the Ariel next!

spidey66 Fri 20-Apr-18 15:31:21

I love Lenor Scent boosters, unfortunately they don't love me and gave me eczema.

ratspeaker Fri 20-Apr-18 15:56:55

Surely its the fabric conditioner that smells the most?

PickAChew Fri 20-Apr-18 16:01:17

I like the fact that Daz doesn't smell strong! Just nice and fresh.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: