Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Spider is keeping me hostage

(61 Posts)
whoopsiedaisies Fri 20-Apr-18 10:13:57

Okay so about to walk out of my bedroom with DS just now and there's a hugeeeee spider on the floor on the middle of my middle stairs. I'm stuck here now until two thirty when DH gets home

Should I chuck something towards it and try and get it to move, but then there's a risk that he could come towards me

Or do I stay here in this hot bedroom and entertain 6 month old for hours

cjt110 Fri 20-Apr-18 10:20:43

Photo or it didnt happen...!

I had one that I swear was following me up the stairs. Everytime I looked down from the landing it went up a step envy << not envy

MissionItsPossible Fri 20-Apr-18 10:23:08

Can you place something over it like a bowl or glass?

RatherBeRiding Fri 20-Apr-18 10:26:31

Depending on how brave you feel, can you put a glass over it and slide some firm card underneath, invert the glass and chuck it out of the window?

Or it that's a step too far just put a glass over it? The problem with chucking something at it to make it move is that you won't know where it is...........

TuftedLadyGrotto Fri 20-Apr-18 10:30:45

Walk towards it and it will move?

I know phobia isn't rational, but remember it won't hurt you and it will terrified for you far more.

QueenOfMyWorld Fri 20-Apr-18 10:40:41

I'd throw a towel over it and fucking run

Swallowfalls Fri 20-Apr-18 10:40:46

I fear I won't be much help OP, I got chased out of bed by an angry bee at the crack of dawn today. God knows how it got in but I ran from the room and shut the door behind me, DH will have to deal with it when he gets home blush I hate this time of year, my insect phobia is always worst when we've been bee/wasp free for the winter, by September I should just about be able to not run away screaming at first sight, just in time for them all to fuck off again hmm Hope you can figure a way around your eight legged obstacle, not the best day to be stuck upstairs flowers

OdileDeCaray Fri 20-Apr-18 10:43:01

This is why I have two vacuum cleaners upstairs and one downstairs plus another stick vacuum in the kitchen.

Spray it with bathroom cleaner with bleach if you can get near enough.

iwanttorunawayagain Fri 20-Apr-18 10:46:13

Hi swallow, you sound like me, had great fun putting a loud of washing out this morning and I've got another one due to go out any minute, gulp!

Swallowfalls Fri 20-Apr-18 10:53:13

It's horrible isn't it Iwant, ruins my summer every year sad Worst of it is I'm not even that scared of being stung, it's just the sight/sound of the damn things that terrifies me and I honestly can't control it. And people wonder why I like winter so much blush

eddiemairswife Fri 20-Apr-18 10:54:11

I too was terrorised by a bumble-bee yesterday. Usually they fly in
through the open patio door, do a bit of exploring and fly out again. But this one kept circling round my head, flying to the curtain, back to my head as if it had lost its way. Perhaps it was too hot outside for it.

motorpink Fri 20-Apr-18 10:56:37

Omg I remember calling my dad at midnight once because I needed a pee and couldn't get past the spider on the stairs blush DH was working and DD hadn't grown into an expert spider catcher yet!

My dad, bless him, came along and removed it for me. Then he gave me a massive chat about how stupid I am - 20 years later I am still terrified of the stupid things and I would still call my dad along if DH was at work and DS out grin

TuftedLadyGrotto Fri 20-Apr-18 10:57:01

Don't kill it with bleach, it hasn't done anything wrong!

iwanttorunawayagain Fri 20-Apr-18 11:14:50

You feel such an idiot as well Swallow whe you panic. I'm not quite as bad as I used to be, I find using ear plugs helps when I'm doing jobs as i'm not jumping everytime I hear something buzz.

elQuintoConyo Fri 20-Apr-18 11:20:21

Throw something over it - tshirt, towel, muslin. Then get on with your day.

It is more terrified of you than you are of it.

How old is your dc? It is better not to transfer your fears to them. I got throygh my severe arachnaphobia by going to Tesco and buying some grips. I'm still wary of them amd have to kill them, no sliding card under glass for me, but i try not to freak out in front of dc.

When we see spiders now ds has a look at them, puts them in his insect pot with microscope and has a good look at them, then releases them. To be fair they aren't the monstrously big British spiders, but still big enough to give me the heeby jeebies.

hdh747 Fri 20-Apr-18 12:57:51

I can just about handle a spider, with a glass and piece of card, as long as it doesn't move. But wasps and bees -argh!! I swear bumble bees are getting bigger too, more like flying hamsters with chain-saws. And after we had a wasps nest in the rafters, which the pest guy had to deal with from the outside due to the position, and a LOT of half dead, angry, wasps managed to escape temporarily into a bedroom, I only have to see something black and yellow striped to break out into a sweat.

PasDeDeux Fri 20-Apr-18 13:07:38

This happened to me last summer! A huge spider at the very top of the stairs, and DH was still at work!!! I managed to put a empty glass over the top of him (which was only just big enough, he had very long legs sad ) can you do similar?

ificouldwritealettertome Fri 20-Apr-18 13:08:26

Have a quiet word with it. "Listen, you, I'm not going to kill you because you haven't committed any crimes worthy of capital punishment. However, you are trespassing. And honestly, I work hard. I pay my way around here and you never do your bit. No rent, no chores. This isn't a bloody doss house you know. So unless you want me to inform the authorities that you've been squatting here all night I'd bugger off to the washing line where your mate has moved in. But you'll both have to piss off again tomorrow because I'll be changing the bedsheets."

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Fri 20-Apr-18 13:10:25

Don't kill it. I hate spiders but couldn't kill one they eat all the flies. It's not likely to run at you, take a big step over it.

MaverickSnoopy Fri 20-Apr-18 13:48:48

I raise you one spider in the middle of the floor and give you one giant spider above the toilet on the ceiling. I need the toilet and we only have one! Going to have to wait until DH is home at 5pm. Hope you managed to get rid of it!

TerfsUp Fri 20-Apr-18 14:00:05

ificouldwritealettertome, great post!

whoopsiedaisies Fri 20-Apr-18 14:13:50

I made it out alive.
Tried having a chat with it from afar but that didn't work. Then on the advice of my DH (who didn't think it warranted him l acing work hmm) I chucked a shoe near it to try and make it move and it moved about half an inch, the cocky bugger. Had three attempts to get past it with DS in my arms but changed my mind each time. In the end through my keys out the window to my wonderful mother who tried to put a glass over it, but it didn't fit. He's now living under a bowl, looks pretty pleased with himself, and me and DS can't wait for DH to get home to sort the bugger out.

It's so irrational but I was worried if it touched me I'd end up flinging the baby up in the air in shock blushblush

whoopsiedaisies Fri 20-Apr-18 14:14:18

*threw

dontticklethetoad Fri 20-Apr-18 14:20:58

I swear bumble bees are getting bigger too, more like flying hamsters with chain-saws grin

MissionItsPossible Fri 20-Apr-18 14:38:50

Bees don't bother me. They're slow and docile even though they sound horrendous. Wasps on the other hand, ugh, I don't know who they think they are but they are disgusting and aggressive. If a wasp stings me then it's the only animal or insect I will kill.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: