Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

So, how much shouldn't humans eat dry cat food?

(80 Posts)
stellenbosch Fri 20-Apr-18 08:34:48

Surely a lick is harmless?

(Pretty sure dc didn't swallow any...)

Asking for a 'friend' 😉😲

KirstenRaymonde Fri 20-Apr-18 08:36:18

I wouldn’t worry at all. It’s basically just meat cereal.

Osopolar Fri 20-Apr-18 08:37:17

Our vet said that all cat food sold in the UK has to be safe for human consumption so I wouldn't worry.

tabulahrasa Fri 20-Apr-18 08:38:11

There’s nothing harmful in it

FlibbertyGiblets Fri 20-Apr-18 08:38:30

They all ate cat food. And dog food. At least once. My friend told me, you understand.

Chocolala Fri 20-Apr-18 08:39:27

It’s fine. Safe for human consumption. Not nice (unless you get a taste for It i assume) but safe.

mypoosmellsofroses Fri 20-Apr-18 08:43:26

My DS was a regular nibbler of dry cat food when about 4, strange boy. He's 24 now and prefers Doritos and hummus these days so I think it's OK

YesItsMeIDontCare Fri 20-Apr-18 08:46:19

My brother ate a handful of Whiskas biscuits about 30 years ago - he's still alive.

he was pissed at the time

WaxOnFeckOff Fri 20-Apr-18 08:48:39

I used to eat dog bonios when I was a child - particularly fond of the pink ones. I'm 52 this year and in perfect health....my hair is nice and shiny but my nose is quite wet... grin

stellenbosch Fri 20-Apr-18 08:52:09

Lol@these

BarbaraofSevillle Fri 20-Apr-18 08:53:29

Yes, while not tasting very nice, it's safe for human consumption and there are actually people who taste it in the factories where it is made.

Once I helped myself to a couple of biscuits from a jar at SILs during a party. It was only after I had finished the second one that I realised that they were dog biscuits blush.

emwithme Fri 20-Apr-18 08:55:52

I used to eat dog bonios when I was a child - particularly fond of the pink ones

The pink ones were OK but my dog never got the black (charcoal) ones. They were always eaten by people. One of my brothers swore by them for a hangover

ColinsVeryJolly Fri 20-Apr-18 08:56:50

We had a stupid craze at primary school of bringing in dog or cat biscuits to eat. If they were bone shaped then even better.

None of us actually liked them, it was just a 'cool' thing to do when we were 8 grin

Goingalonenow Fri 20-Apr-18 08:57:02

I certainly never caught DD with a mouthful of cat biscuits. Definitely not more than once.

grin

flissfloss65 Fri 20-Apr-18 08:58:50

My cousin was only telling me yesterday that she used to sneak into our nan’s pantry and eat the dog biscuits!

Ekphrasis Fri 20-Apr-18 09:07:26

We discovered that those brightly coloured stick dog chews changed the colour of our dogs' poo.

We attempted to make it purple in an experiment with one red and one blue chew.

BalloonSlayer Fri 20-Apr-18 09:10:18

I used to eat Bob Martin's Good Boy Choc Drops when I was desperate for chocolate and there was none in the house.

Never did me any harm although I do always feel guilty whenever I get on to the sofa.

CustardOmlet Fri 20-Apr-18 09:18:15

Pretty sure DS2 doesn’t eat evening meals as his full from snacking on cat food all day!

amusedbush Fri 20-Apr-18 09:18:37

DH tried one of DDog's biscuits (at his own insistence) and he's fine. As fine as a man in his late 20s who eats dog biscuits can be, anyway.

WaxOnFeckOff Fri 20-Apr-18 09:19:21

The pink ones were OK but my dog never got the black (charcoal) ones. They were always eaten by people. One of my brothers swore by them for a hangover

That would make sense as the black ones were probably charcoal and would soak up the booze! I was only a kid so only had a hangover at new year not joking

JoeElliotsMullet Fri 20-Apr-18 09:33:10

DD definitely does not do this on a worryingly regular basis.

grin

Threewheeler1 Fri 20-Apr-18 09:41:12

Better than crayons (gave ds2 blue and green streaked poo) and a couple of marbles!
I wasn't specifically serving these up for tea, happened at nursery.
Don't think a lick of cat food will cause any lasting damage grin

Strax Fri 20-Apr-18 09:44:16

My DD used to help herself to cat food. Mind, she also ate a woodlouse once too.

SnugglySnerd Fri 20-Apr-18 09:46:11

DD definitely ate them more than once. She is fine so long as we remember to let her out to crap in the neighbour's garden grin

smurfy2015 Fri 20-Apr-18 09:59:49

I fell asleep one night with some dreamies in my hand that i meant to give the cat, however when i sleep i go out like a on/off light at some point in my dreams that night i ate something at put the dreamies in my mouth which i remember, woke v briefly and spat them out still in bed near my head following morning and damp from saliva

Cat before that, i was eating crisps one day while absent mildly watching tv and dispensing a couple of treats. Yes i got my hands mixed up

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: