Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

She thought i was his nan

(220 Posts)
Ladymadness Fri 20-Apr-18 08:19:26

LIGHTHEARTED

So yesterday i went to collect the dc from school. It was lovely and sunny so i had my sunglasses on and some nice new summer clothes. Was feeling quite good about myself when stood outside ds2s classroom and the teacher calls "ds2 your nan is here" shock ds says "no thats my mum" grin stung my ego a bit that one haha
wouldnt mind but im only 27 blush

So come on you vipers who have you been mistaken for?

JaretsGirlfren Fri 20-Apr-18 08:23:58

Someone indicated to my friend who was 20 and said ‘I didn’t know you had two daughters?!’ I’m 27 too shock

OdileDeCaray Fri 20-Apr-18 08:24:55

27! Well done for taking it in good spirits. The teacher may have for her words muddled up with so many people collecting children.

Quite a few times people thought my last ex was my father and he was only six years older! I'd like to believe it was because I am youthful looking but sadly think it was because he was a wizened leather tanned mean looking old git!

Addictedtohavingbabies Fri 20-Apr-18 08:28:01

Someone once thought I was my younger sister's mum. She's 23 and I'm 30. We were sitting in the waiting room in the doctors as well with my kids and this woman started chatting saying " are they all yours, and is she yours too?"
I said " no she's my sister, she's 23 haha" and she replied " oh I thought she was only about 15".

BouncyTigger85 Fri 20-Apr-18 08:28:39

When we were first dating my husband (4 years older than me) ordered me a cocktail at a bar, and the barman asked if his son had ID. I don’t know who went redder when he was corrected that I was his girlfriend 😳😂

Ladymadness Fri 20-Apr-18 08:29:12

Dp and the dc wont let me live it down. Ds2 was getting a bit grumpy yesterday so dp said "dont speak to your nan like that" bloody asshat grin

OdileDeCaray Fri 20-Apr-18 08:32:24

BouncyTigger85

Wow a double insult! Mistaking your partner for your father and you for a man! Where does the conversation go after that? 😂

Justwaitingforaline Fri 20-Apr-18 08:32:32

Don’t worry, OP. I’m 24 but look about 16 and people frequently assume I’m either DD’s (3.5) sister or nanny and are then appalled when I say I’m her mother. Age issues work both ways grin

My father (49) and I went to a theatre show a few weeks back. The woman assumed he was over 65 and put him through a concession ticket - I’ve never seen him scuttle away so fast! He shaved the next day, for the first time in 11 years.

lubeybooby Fri 20-Apr-18 08:34:07

I got accused of having teenage children when I was 21. I said I'm only just out of my teens myself! To be fair though I was wearing a uniform that made me look like Trunchbull so yeah...

x2boys Fri 20-Apr-18 08:34:21

I bumped into a newish friend I had my boys with me and my 75 yr old dad she said is this your husband , my dad was delighted at being mistaken for someone 30 odd years younger me not so much .

MinaPaws Fri 20-Apr-18 08:36:43

OP - hope she was more embarassed than you were. A cashier in the supermarket once said to me, 'What great boys, helping pack the shopping.' I was feeling so proud until she turned to DC and said: 'You are so lovely, helping your granny like that.'

Theweasleytwins Fri 20-Apr-18 08:39:11

Have posted before but the week before my wedding my 19 year old sister took me to the benefit eyebrow bar as a treat

I was asked if I was her mother. I was 24🙄

Maybe I looked super tired because I was 6 months pregnant with DT and wasn't sleeping well😅

Speedy85 Fri 20-Apr-18 08:39:51

My husband gets mistaken for my father sometimes because of the 13 year age gap and he has grey hair. I was showing a few wedding photos to a colleague a while ago and she asked if I had any with my husband in them!

We're also expecting our first baby and someone recently made a comment to him congratulating him on becoming a grandad.

MarklahMarklah Fri 20-Apr-18 08:40:19

Urgh. This happened to me in a local shop. Woman said to DD, "Are you being a good girl for your nanna?"
I said, "Actually, I'm her mother!"
Shop lady, "Are you sure?"

I know I am an older parent, but I'm pretty sure I know my own child!

Malaco Fri 20-Apr-18 08:43:04

"Are you sure?" Bonkers

catinapoolofsunshine Fri 20-Apr-18 08:43:42

Most people are terrible judges of age!

I was going to point out that in some social circles it's "the norm" to have your children in your early 20s or even late teens, and be a nan/ gran by your early 40s, while in other social circles it's "the norm" to have your first child in your late 30s and have a reception age child and a toddler in your early 40s. In those circumstances the "nan" misunderstanding isn't thinking you're older but just having a different preconceived ideas of how old a nan is!

I don't kid myself I look young (I'm a haggered old crone) but people I have got to know recently made me ten years younger automatically because they aged me in relation to my children - because my youngest was only just starting school when we met they assumed that I was in my early 30s! That was very flattering except that they must have thought I'd had a hard life, as I definitely look my age, which is in my 40s grin

That teacher was probably just a bit frazzled and not a good judge of age, or even thinking of two things at once and noting someone else's nan was there at the same moment as speaking to your son.

Malaco Fri 20-Apr-18 08:44:43

So come on you vipers who have you been mistaken for?
A pregnant person

Smurf123 Fri 20-Apr-18 08:44:55

My mum gets mistaken for my sons mum and then when she replies with something like yes it is great to be a granny, I can hand him back for sleepless nights - you can see the look of horror in their faces as they look at me. One then said oh wow your a young mummy. I was an old mummy... Well I'm not that young at 28!! Followed by then shouting 28! I thought you were about 15!

ILikeMyChickenFried Fri 20-Apr-18 08:45:21

At 31 I was in hospital following a surgical miscarriage. The nurse thought my 32 year old husband was my child.

Scribblegirl Fri 20-Apr-18 08:45:58

Once dated a guy who was 10 years older than me and we got the dad/daughter comments a few times. Once we went shopping together as he needed to buy his mum a birthday present - he decided to get her a handbag. In the shop we were choosing together (he needed a female perspevtive!) and the assistant asked me if I was 'spending all of daddy's credit cards' confused He was most unimpressed, as was I - I was 23!

OakIsBetterTho Fri 20-Apr-18 08:46:01

Much more understandable than most on here grin but my stepdad used to come with me to hospital appointments cause he was self employed, and was forever mistaken for my husband. I was 17/18 and while he was a young stepdad (30 or so?) it was always very cringey correcting people! Also it was never 'boyfriend' always 'husband'. Weird.

ILikeMyChickenFried Fri 20-Apr-18 08:47:46

the assistant asked me if I was 'spending all of daddy's credit cards'He was most unimpressed, as was I - I was 23!

That'd be rude even if you were his daughter!

NWQM Fri 20-Apr-18 08:48:33

One of the perils of being an older Mum is that this happens a lot. Even our sons teacher got it wrong once this year. Mind you did gee Hubby up to have a shave so does have an upside.

Loonoon Fri 20-Apr-18 08:49:06

The barmaid in our local complimented my DH on his three lovely daughters. He was a little confused as we were there with our (only) two daughters. Turned out she thought I was his third child - he is 2 months older than me!

BitchQueen90 Fri 20-Apr-18 08:50:03

We're quite a young family - DM is 49 (had me at 21), my stepdad is 45, I'm 27 and I have a DS who is almost 5. There is often a lot of confusion about who is married/parents to who when we're all out together. If I'm out with stepdad some people think he's my husband, or if they take DS out people often think they're his parents and not his grandparents. Quite flattering though I suppose!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: