Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Buying EVERYTHING for a new home

(57 Posts)
StealingYourWiFi Thu 19-Apr-18 19:28:01

Well, not literally everything. Have bed, TV, some other electrical items - DVD, AppleTV, coffee machine etc.

Where on earth do you start? Is there somewhere online I can order lots of things? Would prefer to keep to a lower budget where possible!

Is it best to get sofa, furniture etc on credit through Bensons/Harveys?

Please help grin any advice welcome!

DownAtFraggleRock Thu 19-Apr-18 19:29:54

Ikea is your friend when you're just starting out. Esp for kitchen stuff. They do 'starter packs' with pretty much everything in. Cheap too.

Look at them for furniture too.

Pusheenicorn Thu 19-Apr-18 19:31:53

Second for IKEA.

Cheap and cheerful for your first home... can get the luxury expensive stuff later when you haven't just forked out tens of thousands on the property.

Plus I like their stuff anyway

Want2bSupermum Thu 19-Apr-18 19:32:01

Go slowly. I sat in a folding chair until I could afford to buy with cash. Don't stretch yourself to buy furniture. It's not worth it.

Nothing wrong with buying second hand either. Dining table and chairs which are really nice can be easily had 2nd hand for less than £100. Lots of people sell their sofa because they are redecorating. Nothing wrong with it and the prices are cheap.

Charity shops have cheap plates and glasses. Mine were left out by people outside their home so cost me nothing.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Thu 19-Apr-18 19:32:35

I would try a one stop shop like Ikea at first and when there’s a bit more spare cash and you have more idea what you want, replace as you can.

sothisisspring Thu 19-Apr-18 19:32:43

If starting again I wouldn't go Ikea for furniture, I would buy quality real wood stuff second hand, particularly on a low budget. And if you are looking to keep the budget low I wouldn't buy on credit!

Thishatisnotmine Thu 19-Apr-18 19:34:57

I went to Ikea and furnished a house. What didnt fit in the car we had delivered for about £30. Still have most of the stuff ten years later but have added things, replaced some things. Just cannot get snobby about Ikea.

NellMangel Thu 19-Apr-18 19:36:36

I've seen crazy bargains on Facebook marketplace - people getting rid of nice sofas for £50 etc Worth a look.

moreismore Thu 19-Apr-18 19:38:51

eBay! You have to be patient and it does help to have a friend with a van... but you can look at brands you like e.g. next and then just set up followed searches. Have had some incredible bargains on things like beds, tables, wardrobes. Charities like BHF and barnardos have specific furniture shops. Gumtree also worth checking.

moreismore Thu 19-Apr-18 19:39:58

Ps if you’re buying be careful getting things on credit until mortgage 100% sorted as it could affect your credit rating

BertieBotts Thu 19-Apr-18 19:43:16

Ikea! They do delivery as well, not cheap but we did it in Germany, and it actually worked out cheaper with delivery than getting furniture anywhere else. We split the order between ikea and another big furniture shop.

If you have a car then yes look at secondhand sites. But if your car is small or you don't have one it's not worth it as you generally can't coordinate it all at the same time to arrange one van to pick it all up. Perhaps for something especially expensive as a one off.

And then yes it's also worth bodging things and picking them up as and when you see nice bits. Folding chairs etc. But if you want reasonable stuff which looks okay, even if not fantastic, to tide you over ikea is the best. We've still got all our bits we got there 3 years on and they've survived a house move in between. DH is ready to replace his office chair, but apart from that, it's been amazing. We've topped it up with other things here and there.

BertieBotts Thu 19-Apr-18 19:44:19

Oh yes that's a point - if you have any local second hand furniture shops, ask there too. I used to get lots of stuff from one place near my house when I didn't have a car. They had a van and would deliver for about £10 extra, sometimes free if they were already doing a run.

AwkwardSquad Thu 19-Apr-18 19:45:56

Don’t buy on credit. See if there’s a community furniture store in your area - decent second hand furniture that meets the fire regs, and they normally deliver too.

KanielOutis Thu 19-Apr-18 19:46:23

Ikea cheap and cheerful. It will fall apart, but you can replace with quality one piece at a time at time goes on. Don't overstretch and don't get into debt. You need surprisingly little to start with.

StealingYourWiFi Thu 19-Apr-18 19:49:58

Thanks all so much, I didn't even bloody think of Ikea grin I have seen some bits on ebay which is another one that I didn't really think of.

It's very exciting but also very stressful!

GOODCAT Thu 19-Apr-18 19:50:13

If you are near somewhere that does auctions and you can get access to a van to collect it the next day, you can buy second hand furniture very cheaply. At our local one you can get a sofa for £3 plus another £2 fee on top. Same for a table and chairs which you can then paint for a facelift.

silkpyjamasallday Thu 19-Apr-18 19:54:38

I’d get wardrobes from ikea, the Pax ones are great as you can add storage options that suit you. For everything else I’d go secondhand, look on eBay, antiques markets, auctions etc. You can get dark wood furniture for far less than you’d pay at ikea for a similar thing and they will invariably be better quality and built to last. If you’re not a fan of the colour they are easy enough to paint yourself. An eBay hunt may take longer but it is worth it IMO. We got a £2k+ Laura Ashley silk sofa that is properly sprung for £40 and delivered via anyvan for about the same, it’s a gorgeous piece of furniture and cost a tenth or less than a new ikea sofa. Any van is a great service and you can get quotes for whatever it is you want delivered before you decide if it’s worth it. I think going full ikea in a house makes it look temporary and a bit soulless, much better to add to your home slowly over time so it reflects your style and life.

Phillipa12 Thu 19-Apr-18 19:55:41

Ikea! And check out your local facebook selling sites, some really nice stuff being sold really cheap, you have to be quick though.

Parker231 Thu 19-Apr-18 19:59:28

Another vote for Ikea - lots of choice but everything you need under one roof. Delivery system is good.

Bumbumtaloo Thu 19-Apr-18 20:00:16

I have got loads of stuff from Facebook selling sites, lots of it was actually free and in excellent condition but you do have to be quick. We have then gone on to buy new stuff once we have saved and it needs to be replaced.

CoolAsACourgette Thu 19-Apr-18 20:00:27

With our first place I wanted to furnish asap and was happy to 'settle' but my DH was adamant to wait til we found the right thing. It did mean using an airbed as a sofa for 9 months and a pashmina as a curtain for longer than I care to remember but I do think that's the way to go. (It ended up being a mix of Ikea, eBay and some more expensive/independent shop stuff)

ToastyFingers Thu 19-Apr-18 20:01:56

Ikea is great for things like bookcases, storage, tables and chairs etc but imo, their sofas are awful. They're either ugly, uncomfortable or not all that reasonably priced.

I got a gorgeous (well, I think it is smile ) suite from next, but second hand on gumtree and it was in excellent condition and cost 120 for a big corner sofa, cuddle chair and storage footstool/ottoman type thing.

StealingYourWiFi Thu 19-Apr-18 20:04:36

Thanks all - will set up alerts on my local selling pages. It's a new build so will be all white walls and I don't think we can decorate or hang anything for a year. My Pinterest is getting ready for when we can though grin

Want2bSupermum Thu 19-Apr-18 20:09:50

For dining tables and chairs take a look for ercol stuff. It's so cheap when second hand and it's excellent quality. It will last forever and ever. New it's really expensive but second hand you can buy them for next to nothing.

Keep a look out for the tables which look big because people don't realize that they can make them smaller by lifting each end and pushing them together. I visited a lady who was getting rid of her dining table because it was too big. She wanted £50 for it with 8 chairs and I couldnt take it without being honest that you could easily make it smaller. She still sold it to me because it was too dark. It's a lovely table.

senua Thu 19-Apr-18 20:15:01

Don't forget Gumtree too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: