Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do you eat out alone?

(119 Posts)
WilburIsSomePig Thu 19-Apr-18 18:44:44

I'm away overnight with work - which is very unusual and staying in a lovely wee boutique hotel. Pretentious as hell but very pretty. So now I'm in the restaurant, waiting for my dinner, with a glass of wine. On my OWN. I feel a bit conspicuous but the thought of a night on my OWN with the bed all to myself is AMAZING. No meals to cook, no dog shit to pick up, no scout/brownie run blah blah blah. Did I mention I'm on my OWN? Utter bloody bliss ...

SleepySeattle Thu 19-Apr-18 18:47:21

I'm jealous.

WilburIsSomePig Thu 19-Apr-18 18:49:17

You should be. I'm on my OWN. It's such a shame there not a smug emoticon, I'd be all over it tonight.

Olivo Thu 19-Apr-18 18:49:25

envy

Smeaton Thu 19-Apr-18 18:50:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SneakyGremlins Thu 19-Apr-18 18:52:17

I'd love to do it. I don't know any other guys who would though, so I feel awkward about it blush

WilburIsSomePig Thu 19-Apr-18 18:52:29

I think you're right Smeaton it doesn't seem to be 'the done thing' in the UK. It bloody should be though because it's awesome!

soundsystem Thu 19-Apr-18 18:54:27

I LOVE eating out on my own. Don’t do it often, but if I’m away with work I take a good book and sit at the bar with a glass of wine, and take my time, without be interrupted because someone needs a wee, or another napkin, or has dropped something, or, or, or... Bliss.

Enjoy, OP!

AgathaMystery Thu 19-Apr-18 18:54:56

Yes! I eat out and do the cinema alone. I love it!

Smeaton Thu 19-Apr-18 18:55:36

DidNotThinkItWouldHappenHere Thu 19-Apr-18 18:55:41

Yeah, usual when I'm away from home but occasionally I'll go for lunch alone when I'm working. Cinema too.

Not sure why it's a bit deal, I don't think anyone else will even notice. Do you pay attention to the other people when you are eating out with friends?

BigSandyBalls2015 Thu 19-Apr-18 18:59:31

I love doing this but need a book or phone, can't just sit there looking around

MozzchopsThirty Thu 19-Apr-18 19:02:10

Oh I love it

It's such a treat

No one needs the toilet, or pretends to be sick, or needs food cutting up, or wants another drink

Ah enjoy OP

cortex10 Thu 19-Apr-18 19:03:35

Hi. Raising my (large) glass of sauvignon to you while waiting for my solo meal to arrive. I work away three nights a week and really enjoy eating alone, surfing, catching up on emails (and people watching /eavesdropping the other diners). Enjoy.

IWouldLikeToKnow Thu 19-Apr-18 19:09:42

Sounds like bliss to me! It's the dreamsmile

GreyGardens88 Thu 19-Apr-18 19:13:27

I like going to the theatre, not many other people I know do. I've been once or twice on my own and been literally the only person in the entire audience alone and felt v uncomfortable. However if I go to New York on Broadway it seems like nearly half the audience are there on their own lol. Seems like its a UK thing

RadioDorothy Thu 19-Apr-18 19:13:40

Oh shit I'm really letting the side down...when I'm away for work I hate going and sitting alone in a restaurant. I feel conspicuous and it's no fun eating by myself.

I usually walk/drive to the nearest supermarket and get myself a little picnic. Then I sprawl on my hotel bed in my pants eating chocolate and watching the kind of interesting TV I never get to watch at home.

The shame.

WindAndWuthering Thu 19-Apr-18 19:13:46

Yeah I do. I love it. Take a book if you feel awkward. I also go to the cinema, theatre and on holiday by myself. Why not? Would you feel weird going shopping by yourself? To a museum / art gallery? A library?

Dogsrbarking Thu 19-Apr-18 19:15:15

Going to the cinema alone followed by a solo nandos is my greatest pleasure grin

Smeaton Thu 19-Apr-18 19:21:44

WilburIsSomePig Thu 19-Apr-18 19:25:54

Not sure why it's a bit deal it probably isn't for lots of other people, but it really is for me and I'm enjoying every second of it. I'm going back to my room shortly to drink more wine and binge watch CSI. Livin' the dream right here on a random Thursday night! grin

SneakyGremlins Thu 19-Apr-18 19:28:31

Oh I fucking love CSI. Can I come? sad

Hoddykins Thu 19-Apr-18 19:28:44

Sometimes I take my lunch out to sit in my car so I can be alone and watch YouTube videos....does that count? 🤣

HRTpatch Thu 19-Apr-18 19:29:55

Yes...love it.
I've been out twice for lunch on my own this week...will probably go and have some gin somewhere tomorrow afternoon. Happy to go to restaurants, cinema, bars.

WilburIsSomePig Thu 19-Apr-18 19:31:11

Well Gremlins I plan to be lounging around in my pants a la Dorothy up thread but you're more than welcome! 😁

I have a friend who is always talking about 'self care' etc and how important it is and I always think 'I don't have time for that stuff's, but my god she's absolutely right.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: