Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Mumsnetters who had babies in the 60s/70s/80s. How long did you spend in hospital?

(88 Posts)
TiffanyDoggett Thu 19-Apr-18 10:00:40

My little bundle of gorgeousness is 1 week today and hospital already feels like a distant memory (despite staying in 3 nights). it occurred to me that in another decade I might still be in now post c section and it got me thinking. Apart from missing my older ds I'd have loved a stay in an old fashioned lying in hospital and bonding with other new mums. No cleaning, older childcare and laundry. Just getting to know your newborn and having expert help on tap. Was it really like that or am I just imagining how it was?!

Nanasueathome Thu 19-Apr-18 10:02:51

I have 3 children, all grown up now
Born 1976, 1978 and 1980
I was in hospital for 2 days after the birth of each one and that was the norm at the time

Nanasueathome Thu 19-Apr-18 10:03:30

Should also add, if the baby was born before 10am then that day counted as one of the 2 days

GorgeousJaws Thu 19-Apr-18 10:03:42

I'm interested too, I was out the day after my c-section 3 years ago.

Nanasueathome Thu 19-Apr-18 10:04:16

C-sections were up to 10 days after delivery

TiffanyDoggett Thu 19-Apr-18 10:12:24

10 days following a c section sounds lovely. I would really miss my big boy though.

granny24 Thu 19-Apr-18 10:17:52

Ten days 1971 after high forceps back to back delivery and a blood transfusion.

MargoLovebutter Thu 19-Apr-18 10:18:24

My mum had two c sections in the early 70s and she was in hospital for a week before the c-section and then for two weeks afterwards. Babies were cared for in the nursery and brought to her every 4 hours for feeding. Like a different world! She was T1 diabetic but I'm guessing that nowadays T1 diabetics don't get that kind of care.

Springnowplease Thu 19-Apr-18 10:19:40

6 days, normal delivery. 1978 1980

ruby1234 Thu 19-Apr-18 10:21:33

1st baby 1987 - 5 days, 2nd 1991 home same day, 3rd 1994 5 days (in SCBU) but would have been home same day if all was ok.

My SIL in 1986 spent 10 days in hospital (small town) after hers.

Marmite27 Thu 19-Apr-18 10:22:14

I’m currently on a transitional care ward. It’s the bridge between neonatal and going home.

I’ve been in 9 days, 7 post c-section.

The boredom is terrible, missing my 2 year old is crippling and as lovely and experienced as the staff are I just want to go home.

I would have loved to be home after 24h like I was with my first. Then I was only in that long because I went home after my water broke to see if labour started naturally.

Lessstressedhemum Thu 19-Apr-18 10:29:06

My first was born in 1990, I spent 10 days in hospital after a very difficult back to back labour and a high forceps delivery with 90 odd stitches.

With my last, in 2003, I was out next day after an even more difficult transverse lie labour, where the midwife had to turn the baby from the inside and pull him down. Loads of stitches, terrible bruising and all sorts. I couldn't walk for about a week after that one! How I wished that I could stay in for longer, but the other 4 were waiting at home.

TiffanyDoggett Thu 19-Apr-18 10:33:21

@Marmite27 poor you. I think I'm romanticising it and you're faced with the reality. I hope things improve and you both get home to the new big sister soon thanks

TiffanyDoggett Thu 19-Apr-18 10:33:55

Or big brother. Don't know why I assumed a girl confused

LondonJax Thu 19-Apr-18 10:34:40

My sisters and I were born in the 60s. Mum had a C-section with all three. She was ten days in hospital with the first child (me). She was taught how to do the nappies (no disposables then), bathing, general baby care, feeding was brought under control, she got a lot of rest (I was kept in a nursery until feeding time or bonding time and, as I was bottle fed, she got a full night's sleep. Women who breast fed had their baby brought to them during the night as needed).

By the time she left she said she felt she knew what she was doing - my sisters and I on the other hand felt a bit like rabbits in a headlight when we brought our kids home (24 hour stay in my sister's case).

She used to exchange Christmas cards with the women who were either side of her in hospital as they got to know each other so well in the ten days.

When she had my sisters she was in for 7 days as she knew what she was doing with regard to feeding etc., so it was just the post op rest then.

She was in an old fashioned lying in hospital and has great memories of that time.

Cedar03 Thu 19-Apr-18 10:34:53

10 days for my mum when she was in hospital in the late 60s with my brother. Nothing for when she had me as I was a home birth. Interestingly both my mum and MIL opted for home births with their second child as they had horrid experiences with their first at the hospital with horrid staff. MIL says the midwife told her off for making too much noise.

According to DM there was almost no encouragement to breast feed, babies were in a nursery and returned for feeds but nothing encouraged like skin to skin contact, etc.

My experience from 11 years ago was the ward was busy and noisy. People were kept awake half the night by someone else's baby crying, the staff were overworked and had little time for giving anyone much attention. I was pleased to leave even though I didn't have the faintest idea what I was doing with the baby.

Thecomfortador Thu 19-Apr-18 10:39:00

My dm tells me about the 10 days she had in hospital with her 1st in the 70s. No c-section or anything, normal birth, baby brought in for feeds every 4 hours. She did make a life long friend in the bed next to hers. Personally I hated being in 3 nights after my first and was glad to get home same day with second. I'm very antisocial though.

Idrinkandiknowstuff Thu 19-Apr-18 10:39:37

My DD was born in 1984, I was in hospital for a week. The first two nights I was given sleeping tablets so I could rest and the nurses took care of DD. I woke one morning and read on her notes that she had “asphyxiated during the night” and was recusitated. Nothing was ever mentioned to me about it. The only reason I can think of for this was I was very young, only just 17, and it was clear that the nurses did not consider me a suitable mother.

MrsPear Thu 19-Apr-18 11:32:22

Just into the 80s when my mum had me - she stayed a week. She had to establish breast feeding. They had daily classes too. Although it is funny when i had ds1 the scbu was run by - her words - an old fashioned nurse and I had to have classes too including feeding and bathing as well as medicine drill and resuscitation. I felt well cared for - she offered a repeat for ds2 but I said just go through the drug chart.

MrsTommyBanks Thu 19-Apr-18 11:37:37

5 days when I had my first in 87 . No c section.
My next in 90 was born at 6.30pm and I stayed overnight. My third in 92 I went home about 6 hours after her birth.
My DM was in for 10 days when I was born in the 60s.

Tester123 Thu 19-Apr-18 11:40:34

Mine are still 5 and under, but my first 2 spent 3 and 11 weeks in nicu, it was exhausting not being able to be home and feel like its actually 'your' baby. I missed DP and DC1, couldn't sleep when I wanted, couldn't have a relaxing bath, watch TV, have time on my own with baby, go for a walk or anything to get back to normality and recover.
With DC3 we were home in under 24 hours and it was so much nicer. Midwives popped by as support but the rest of the time I could just bond with DC3 and be relaxed at home.

Marmite27 Thu 19-Apr-18 11:52:06

Tiffany you guessed right, it is a big sister waiting at home.

I’m currently waiting for my discharge papers grin sorry for whinging, but I was well and truly fed up. I’ve got light st the end of the tunnel now, so I’m s bit happier.

AdaColeman Thu 19-Apr-18 11:54:34

Late 60s here. I stayed in for ten days after a straightforward birth. Baby spent the day in a cot by my bed, but was in the nursery at night, brought in for feeding.
There wasn't much encouragement to BF but I did anyway.
Every afternoon we had two hours of bed rest, lying on our fronts!

Visiting was very limited, partners only, and then only in the evening. My Mum did visit though, on the first day, as with her Northumbrian accent they thought she had made a long journey to see me! grin

vintagebella Thu 19-Apr-18 12:28:30

I had all c sections. In 1979 I was in for 10 days as was the norm. In 1986 and 1987 it was down to 5 days for each. I had my last in 1995 and chucked out after 3 days. The health visitor did visit every day for 7 days though.

Sunafterstorm Thu 19-Apr-18 12:40:11

1975 first baby 10 days. Everyone was in for 10 days for a first baby in that hospital.
1976 third baby 48 hours. Same hospital.
1994 third baby 24 hours because I had an epidural for a breech birth. Some people went home on the day they have birth.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: