Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What do healthy people eat for lunch

(83 Posts)
Hidingtonowhere2018 Wed 18-Apr-18 12:08:31

Hello, trying to sort out a few areas in my life and this is a big one.

My diet is crap and I feel rubbish and worst of all my hair is thinning which I think is down to stress and poor nutrition.

I've decided I've got to tackle and change my eating habits once and for all and just do it. Work quite long hours in a sometimes sedentary job although am often out and about too and wondering what healthy people who are slim size eat?

Do you home cook and bring in (not always possible for me) and when you cant do that what would you eat when out for lunch? I'm sure the sandwiches every lunch time aren't doing me any good.

Saltcrust Wed 18-Apr-18 12:13:49

Home-made soup or salad?

Soup made at weekends and frozen in one-portion size bags to heat in microwave?

Salad more of a faff but you could prep some elements a couple of days in advance (is cous cous and roasted vegetables salad) , make vinaigrette to last three/four days, then assemble quickly every morning with freshly chopped herbs, and a protein element?

FancyYourChances Wed 18-Apr-18 12:15:42

I limit carbs at lunchtime as it massively affects my energy.

I'm lazy, so have a formula I stick to for lunches that is easy to assemble the night before or in the morning.

I make a big salad with whatever I have in the fridge or fancy - leaves, tomato, cucumber, peppers, grated carrot, sweetcorn etc - and then top with some protein - grilled halloumi, frittata, boiled eggs, chicken breast, prawns, squid, cold meats etc.

I keep salt, pepper and dressings at work to add to my lunch, and often bring in an avocado and slice it in to my salad. Also bring in fruit to munch on.

In the winter when I'm craving hot food, I bring homemade soup in a flask.

My energy levels are a lot better since I started this lunch regime (last year) and its cheap, too!

Crispbutty Wed 18-Apr-18 12:16:49

Sandwiches are fine. Tub of pasta salad, quiche and salad, soup and a roll.. all ok for lunch. My downfall when I was in an office job was snacking, eating my lunch before lunchtime then getting something else as well..

flowerslemonade Wed 18-Apr-18 12:20:05

I like to have a vegetable samosa (with peas, carrots, potato etc) with a green leaf salad, watercress, cut up tomatoes, cucumber, olive oil and bit of balsamic vinegar dressing.

Or this salad: half a can of tuna, a boiled egg, capers, some olives, green leaves, tomatoes and a slice bread.

winterinmadeira Wed 18-Apr-18 12:20:08

Sandwich or pitta and a piece of fruit. Sometimes crisps too but it depends how I feel.

MargoLovebutter Wed 18-Apr-18 12:20:41

What's wrong with sandwiches with decent fillings? I have a sandwich that contains a source of protein & some salad. I think it is a really convenient way of covering off all the food groups. That is all I have for lunch - no crisps or chocolate or fizzy drinks, just a decently filled sandwich.

flowerslemonade Wed 18-Apr-18 12:21:16

Also, I personally think a good quality multi-vitamin/mineral might be worth it for a while, like Sanatogen A-Z and I also find omega 3 fish oils good too.

flowerslemonade Wed 18-Apr-18 12:22:36

Having said that today I had a flump cable and sherbet dib dab (long story).

BennyTheBall Wed 18-Apr-18 12:27:47

I steer clear of anything carby.

Today I am having rocket with grilled chicken and roasted peppers.

If I am in the office, I have a serious Pret habit. I often have their chicken and broccoli soup or the red thai one. Both lovely and very low cal.

Hidingtonowhere2018 Wed 18-Apr-18 12:28:08

These are all good ideas thank you! Can I ask are you all a slim size? I have a good 2 - 2 1/2 stone to go and I want to make sure this helps me lose weight too.

DialsMavis Wed 18-Apr-18 12:29:19

Left overs heated up
Soup (m & s 2 for £4)
Salad with humous or falafal and avocado etc

Hidingtonowhere2018 Wed 18-Apr-18 12:32:50

Also can I ask how do you make a tasty salad? What do you put in as a vinaigrette?

When I have made salads in the past, they tend to be dry and flavourless and it's a real struggle to eat them.

ButterflyOfFreedom Wed 18-Apr-18 12:33:49

I think sandwiches can be healthy depending on the filling of course - salmon / tuna / chicken... with salad maybe.
Or try bagel / wrap / pitta bread instead of bread - wholemeal is better than white.
No butter / margarine/ mayo.

Or a homemade salad.

Soup.

Jacket potato.

Aim for healthy snacks such as carrot/ pepper / cucumber / celery sticks, handful of nuts, crackers / oatcakes/ rice cakes / breadsticks, cherry tomatoes, dried fruit (raisins etc), any fruit or veg...
Fruit / oat / cereal bars.

And avoid the temptation of biscuits / chocolate / cake/ crisps etc! Easier said than done sometimes I know!!!!

Oh and drink just water.

Peanutbuttercups21 Wed 18-Apr-18 12:34:20

I am a healthy weight and size

I think sandwiches are a good option.

Currently having a whole meal sandwich with full fat mayo, salad, tomato and ham and an orange for lunch

Only took me 2 mins to prepare.

Cooking up complex stuff is not long term sustainable for mostgrin

Most people I know who are a healthy weight are not actually afraid of carbs either. IMO low/no carbing often leads to people getting cravings/binges at a later date

LayerShortOfALasagne Wed 18-Apr-18 12:35:27

I drizzle good quality balsamic vinegar salt and pepper on mine. Lovely

purplelass Wed 18-Apr-18 12:38:31

I'm trying to lose weight at the moment so am bringing in home made salads which are made up of veg and protein, plus a spoonful of coleslaw to make the salad more interesting. Oh and a banana for pudding.

I've only started this week but I'm finding it's taking a while to eat which makes me feel fuller than bolting down a sandwich.

Good luck! Hope we both get the results we're after smile

ArkAtEee Wed 18-Apr-18 12:38:40

If your hair is coming out, get ferratin levels checked (for anaemia). They need to be over 70 for hair growth. Also, having a vitamin C source at the same time as iron sources, e.g. small glass of orange juice, can help absorption of iron from food.

Alright1613 Wed 18-Apr-18 12:39:08

I like cubed and roasted sweet potato in a salad. I sprinkl ground cumin and/ or smoked paprika for flavour.

Pomegranate seeds are good for some sweetness and crunch.

And every salad needs a toasted seed or nut. I think the toasting is essential as they taste so much better. A minute or two on a dry pan is all it takes. I have mini sistema pots to put them in so they don’t go soft and keep the crunch until I eat lunch.

UnaOfStormhold Wed 18-Apr-18 12:40:24

Homemade noodle pots can work well - today I'm having chicken gyoza (bought frozen) with udon noodles (you can use wholewheat soba too) , a spoonful of miso paste and generous amounts of edamame, kale, peas (again from the freezer. Put in a pot the night before, then at lunchtime add boiling water and heat for 4mins in a microwave. If you have healthy evening meals make a bit extra and freeze/refridgerate portions for similar treatment.

GooodMythicalMorning Wed 18-Apr-18 12:40:36

Wafer thin honey roast ham sandwich with hot Doritos. Nothing else til dinner now.

SocksRock Wed 18-Apr-18 12:42:06

If I’m taking lunch, I fill a box with roasted veg, tofu, halloumi, fresh veg - prepped the night before. Then I can eat at work. Often I’m on the road, so I buy food and I stick to sushi or salads from supermarkets. I’ve lost 3 stone since September and getting my lunchtime eating under control has been a big part of this. I keep rice cakes and peanut butter in my locker at work so I have something to snack on that isn’t chocolate from the vending machine!

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Wed 18-Apr-18 12:42:57

Feta and bulgar wheat salad today.

SocksRock Wed 18-Apr-18 12:43:44

Sorry, just seen your question - I’m not a healthy weight yet, I still have 2 stone to lose (started at 16.7, am now 13.8, aiming for 11.7 which will bring me inside a BMI of 25).

flowerslemonade Wed 18-Apr-18 12:43:51

tbh i'm size 6 (though stress) but trying to gain weight, but that's what I ate when I was about size 10/12 if that helps.

One thing I forgot to add is that hair loss can sometimes be linked to scalp condition, if you have seb derm or flakey scalp or anything like that if you get that treated it can massively slow hair fall, I used nizoral which I got off Amazon for about £6 which seemed to help a lot.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: