Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Business "award" scam

(19 Posts)
buttonz Wed 18-Apr-18 00:16:40

I run a small business and, over the last few weeks have received several emails from a company called Al Global Media.

The emails come from an online magazine that they run called Lux.

The emails told me that my business had won an award and that I could receive a complimentary "package" (basically, a mention in their magazine and the right to use the award next to my business name for "marketing purposes").

Lo and behold, there were several much more elaborate "packages" that cost several hundreds to several thousand pounds.

I immediately smelt a rat and did not respond to the emails.

A bit of Googling suggests that this is a scam and that the awards are vanity awards and that businesses are randomly chosen and told they have "won".

I have told them I am not interested in vanity awards and they sent a reply denying that the awards are bogus.

Has anyone else heard of this outfit or had any dealings with them?

DrinkFeckArseGirls Wed 18-Apr-18 00:18:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Wed 18-Apr-18 00:19:59

Wrong thread. Reported myself.

AjasLipstick Wed 18-Apr-18 00:22:22

OP I wouldn't give it another thought. This sort of thing is RIFE.

A friend of mine who runs a VERY successful small business actually fell for one of these and embarrassingly posted it all over social media.

"SO happy to be one of London New York's Small Business Award Winners!" And it was glaringly obvious that the award was nothing more than made up for money.

BringOnTheScience Wed 18-Apr-18 00:48:31

They appear in many industries. I was shortlisted for a genuine award (def genuine!) then got an email telling me I was a finalist for another.... then the public-facing generic enquiries account got an identical email.

buttonz Sat 21-Apr-18 03:57:50

Thanks all...

I'm just glad I didn't fall for the scam.

What's with the hidden messages?!

SteamTrainsRealAleandOpenFires Sat 21-Apr-18 04:03:39

What's with the hidden messages?!

Possibly because that poster "works for that company"? I don't know to be truthful.

thenewaveragebear1983 Sat 21-Apr-18 09:20:03

They are all a bit of a scam though aren’t they? Have you seen the Dave Gorman show where he talks about the ‘product of the year’ awards (modern life is goodish series 3 ep 8)
Massive brands signup to those and the company makes millions as the companies pay for the branding.

http://productoftheyear.co.uk/

buttonz Sat 21-Apr-18 09:57:01

Steam - that may be the case...

buttonz Sat 21-Apr-18 09:59:25

Then - that's an interesting link!

ClashCityRocker Sat 21-Apr-18 10:33:47

Our firm got nominated for an award. A brand new one.

However, to be in the running we would have to take a table of twelve at the award ceremony for the princely sum of £3,000...

ShotsFired Sat 21-Apr-18 10:48:03

They're not based at a place called The Maltsters are they?

My company gets dozens of "awards" from them each year. We just take the free title and ever pay for the extras.

buttonz Sat 21-Apr-18 11:01:58

Clash - yes, that sounds familiar.

buttonz Sat 21-Apr-18 11:03:58

Shots - I think that's them...

Pigpigpig Sat 21-Apr-18 11:07:51

I’ve had this a few times - the catch is always to do with buying a table. Some of the more legit ones are exactly the same - if you’re not willing to pay to attend you simply won’t win.

ShotsFired Sat 21-Apr-18 12:13:47

@buttonz they are just a bunch of idiots. Either take the freebie or just ignore them entirely. You'll be no better or worse off either way.

They give out awards like "best international MNer with names starting button and ending in z". Then upsell editorial packages and trophies to be featured in a magazine nobody reads on the back of your prestigious win.

(Although their emails are usually something to behold - an absolute carcrash essay of centralised formatting, fonts, italics and all the rest of it.)

viques Sat 21-Apr-18 12:19:41

newaverageAgree about the multiple award winners. apparently one of the worst for this is the wine industry, all those gold medal winner labels you see on the bottle mean nothing . Heard this on Radio 4 , must be true.

buttonz Sat 21-Apr-18 15:23:47

Pig - you are right about the emails.. they kept getting the name of my "award winning" business wrong.

buttonz Sat 21-Apr-18 15:25:28

Vique - yes, a quick google threw up lots of wine industry "awards".

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: