Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Should I take my 4yo to see a triage nurse?

(9 Posts)
TwatWaffle Mon 16-Apr-18 14:30:04

I'm pretty sure my youngest, who turned 4 in January, is just being a lazy monkey, but he has always hated walking anywhere, and is still a nightmare if he has to walk for more than five minutes.

He complains that his legs are tired, whinges, moans, cries etc . It's a real pain. I still use the buggy (Baby Jogger, so big) occasionally but am aware he is too old for it really. He refuses to try going on a scooter or balance bike. He's too heavy for me to carry (I have a bad back).

We do keep telling him he's a big boy now so can't go in the buggy for short trips, like school run (5 min walk each way), but have been doing that for a year now and he's still the same sad

I'm going to look really stupid phoning the Dr's to ask a triage nurse for advice, aren't I?!

ImAGoofyGoober Mon 16-Apr-18 14:33:27

Mine was very similar! He would sit for ages refusing to walk.
The only thing that has worked is perseverance in making him walk. I would set off much earlier than I needed or make him walk at a time where there was no rush to be home.
He hated it and would refuse to walk but eventually he learned he had no choice if he wanted to get home. He’s a fab little walker now, we just had to take the choice away.
Very tough to do though so brace yourself!

TwatWaffle Mon 16-Apr-18 14:40:31

How old was he?

Mine seems to have two modes:

1. Dragging his heels crying
2. Running

I do leave in plenty of time for school runs, but he still kicks up such a fuss. I'm dreading Sept as we'll have to take his brother to school first - a 15 mins walk- then drop him at his school which is another 5-10 mins away. Then do the reverse at 3pm, ie collect the 4yo then he'll have a 20-25 mins walk home via the 7yo's school.

I'm loathe to get rid of it completely (the buggy, not the lazy child) but we've got no garage or anywhere to store it out of sight so we can tell him it's gone forever...

ImAGoofyGoober Mon 16-Apr-18 16:47:07

He’s 3 and had to walk the 20 minute walk to school 3 times a day. I can’t see the harm in using the buggy for maybe the last walk when he is out of energy but I would definitely focus on walking for the other walks if possible.

Seeline Mon 16-Apr-18 16:53:14

Remove a wheel and tell him it's 'broken'.

Then just persevere - leave as much time as possible, and don't take any nonsense. Ignore tantrums - just carry on walking.
Try playing games whilst walking - spotting things (cars, birds, numbers etc) Count trees as you go along. Let him run ahead to the next tree/car etc if safe to do so etc.

DelurkingAJ Mon 16-Apr-18 16:53:55

Might peer pressure help you here? My DS (reception) would be confused if any of his friends were in a buggy (doesn’t mean he doesn’t occasionally suggest that I could push him and carry DS2 but he isn’t being serious!).

KurriKurri Mon 16-Apr-18 17:41:53

I would go with the previous suggestion of distraction - I spy, counting cars/trees/steps/cats /whatever. First person to see an XY or Z.

Magic 'go faster' socks (ie socks) which worked for my DD - her legs apparently didn't get so tired if she wore these socks grin

BellyBean Mon 16-Apr-18 17:54:55

Dd was horrendous, I used to give her 10sec sit downs then carry on, 'wind up' her legs, snack bribes on arrival blush.

TwatWaffle Mon 16-Apr-18 18:13:08

Thanks for all the suggestions so far smile

I do try and distract as much as possible, but most of the walk is on a busy 30mph stretch of main road. I have to hold his hand the entire time as pavements are narrow, and as we have lorries thundering past it's loud! So can't have too much of a chat. I give him plenty of praise when we get there.

Am loving the suggestion of removing a wheel (they just pop off) and saying it's broken! Dh reckons if we take the wheels off we could fit it up the loft hatch too.

Re: peer pressure. I've tried this. He has a couple of little mates from preschool who he sees in the playground sometimes at 3pm. I say "look! Alfie hasn't got a buggy! Ellie hasn't got a buggy! That's because they're 4 like you and 4 is too old for a buggy". His older brother sometimes says "buggies are for babies you know?". But he couldn't give a flying fig what other people think ! I'm not sure what the opposite to self conscious is, but he's that confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: