Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Rejecting primary offer?

(22 Posts)
thecherryontop Mon 16-Apr-18 06:23:53

anyone rejected the offer? It says not to on the letter. Genuinely -none would be better that what we were offered. Need to get on waiting lists but am at my wits end. Considering sending DC to stay with relatives until she's 5... or does anyone know if they can continue at pre-school or is funding no longer available in sept?

IamChipmunk Mon 16-Apr-18 06:28:16

Interested to read answers as im not accepting our place. Its unsuitable to say the least!
Difficulty for us is we are moving from one authority to another and it seems to have fucked us over..

My DS is obly 4 in June so as far as i understand it i could juat apply again next year and go into yr 1. As he doesnt legally have to go until 5.
Although the childcare bill will kill us (he attends full time and has a sibling!)

Im going to ring adnissions today and find out wtf has happened...

BertrandRussell Mon 16-Apr-18 06:28:56

What’s so bad about the School you’ve been offered?

BertrandRussell Mon 16-Apr-18 06:31:19

But never turn down the place you’ve been offered. If you do, you could get a place at literally any school that has spaces -which could be miles and miles away. You can accept the place then go on waiting lists for other schools.

RicStar Mon 16-Apr-18 06:35:07

Agree with bertrand there is really really no advantage to rejecting a place having no place doesn't put you ahead of those that do.

Sirzy Mon 16-Apr-18 06:38:26

If you turn down the place the LEA have no obligation to find another place.

Get on the waiting list for any schools that you feel are more suitable but don’t turn down the place

pestov Mon 16-Apr-18 06:39:03

Rejection also means that the authority had fulfilled its obligations to you and is not legally required to provide another place - is home school or private an option? Otherwise accept accept accept and get onto the waiting lists!

shouldwestayorshouldwego Mon 16-Apr-18 06:39:23

You can also accept the offered place and defer it until the term after their 5th birthday, keep in nursery and go on all waiting lists. That way you buy yourself some time. Many people don't move their child once in School in September even if first choice comes up because the child is already settled in second/third choice.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Mon 16-Apr-18 06:40:02

When is her birthday?

Korg Mon 16-Apr-18 06:47:23

1. DON’T REJECT THE OFFER. It costs you nothing to keep it and there is no advantage in rejecting it. Rejecting the offer is as useful as whacking the computer screen when the machine crashes: it might make you feel better for a few seconds by releasing your anger but ultimately does nothing to help and may make the situation worse. The LEA doesn’t have to find you a new place once you’ve rejected the offer.
2. Get onto waiting lists for schools you want
3. Appeal. Go to the primary education board - there are some experts there.

thecherryontop Mon 16-Apr-18 06:58:57

Thanks all. The school given requires improvement to say the least -ofsted were generous based on what I saw when I visited.

I won't reject... will go on waiting lists today and worst case keep her in nursery (Birthday is end of November).

The anxiety of this is unreal. Need to keep remembering there are worse things that could have happened.

meditrina Mon 16-Apr-18 07:08:59

If no school is better, and you can genuinely HE indefinitely, then rejecting the offer will make no difference (ditto is you can line up a private school place)

But if you want to use a state school, do not reject this offer and you will not end up in a better position by doing so. So I am glad to see that you've decided not to do that.

You can still appeal (though appeals are hard to win when Infant Class Size rules apply, and can be in waiting lists.

If you accept your offered place, you can defer entry (as is your right until DC reaches compulsory age) to January in your case, so that gives longer for a place comes up from waiting list at a school you like better before your DC reaches compulsory age.

If you had decided to scrub it for a year and apply for a Sept 19 place in year 1, you would only have been offered a school with a space then (ICS rules still apply) and the schools which are full now are likely still to be full (current pupils, and spaces filled from waiting list as they come up).

andadietcoke Mon 16-Apr-18 07:16:05

We didn't take the place we were offered last year. I contacted them to ask them when I needed to tell them we weren't taking the place up because we were going to send them to a private school and they checked what else they had available in the borough. In the end they went there and I've been really happy with it.

IamChipmunk Mon 16-Apr-18 09:01:50

Ive been offered a place at a preschool (fpr up to 5 yrs old) for children with additional needs.

My DS has no additional needs.
What on earth am i supposed to do with that? How can that be a suitable place fpr him and what would he do next yr when he is too old to go there.

Im not sure we have any other option but to reject that place and appeal..

meditrina Mon 16-Apr-18 09:04:59

IamChipmunk

That sounds so odd that it is worth querying. You applied for a reception class place and you are entitled to have one. What you have described is so different that I am wondering if there has been a clerical error.

DelurkingAJ Mon 16-Apr-18 09:06:47

LEAs do make errors (triplets locally who were offered different schools as the LEA hadn’t realised they weren’t twins and a singleton with the same surname and birthday?!). So if you’ve got a weird offer I would first ring them and say ‘is this right?’. In the case above it was sorted in about 10 minutes...

IamChipmunk Mon 16-Apr-18 09:35:59

My DH is onto admissions as he is working from home. I'm hoping he is going to tell me its all an error.

I suspect part of the error is we are moving in June/July. I rang admissions for advice and (both authorities) told me to apply using my LA form but put down schools in the new LA and a note on with the new address. I've done that...
I put 4 schools on my list.

This is totally random. I'm really worried that they have made an error but now there will be no places left anyway...

purplegreen99 Mon 16-Apr-18 11:57:35

I am a bit of a long way from primary now as both kids are teens. But FWIW we got allocated a school we really did not want for dd, but it turned out ok - she was there for nearly 2 years and settled in fine. It wasn't perfect but we made the best of it and then she moved to the school we originally wanted when a place came up.

I'd suggest
1) accept the place (as others have said there's no advantage to not accepting it),
2) get on waiting lists - lots of people change their mind/get a place elsewhere/move house when kids are tiny, so good chance of getting a move
3) most importantly, give the school a chance, don't be negative about it (especially to your child), get involved with PTA, etc. It might not be good for all, or even most, children, but that doesn't mean your child will suffer if they go there - there will be some staff and actvities going on that will be good, despite the problems. You would not be in a worse position having tried it than not.

I've known a lot of children who have moved schools in the primary years - it's not a big deal, they settle in quickly, so don't feel you have to find your permanent school at age 5.

IamChipmunk Mon 16-Apr-18 12:39:10

Well turns out ours is an error! So we do have a place but third on our list. Which is a shame but better than it seemed this morning!

peacheachpearplum Mon 16-Apr-18 13:21:27

IamChipmunk well that must be a relief. Are you going to go on waiting list for your first choice.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Mon 16-Apr-18 13:31:24

IamChipmunk you need to check that the place is the one you would have got if they hadn't made the error, not just a school on your list which isn't full. They should give you the school which you would originally have been allocated (which could be the third choice school but might not be).

IamChipmunk Mon 16-Apr-18 14:50:29

Hi all thanks for the advice. We are now on a waiting list for 1st and second choice and are also going to appeal.

Both 1st and 2nd choice are full, the error is a clerical error not error with allocations.

Due to moving they have allocated based on our current postcode which obviously puts us bottom of the list (8th on waiting list for school 1!)

We are going to appeal based on the fact they have taken our new address into account based on allocating a school in the new LA not our current LA in which case we should have the same priority as anyone else...
Long shot and school 1 is full so i doubt it will work but you never know!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: