Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Fallen and can't move!

(301 Posts)
HarshingMyMellow Sun 15-Apr-18 17:14:29

Walking down the stairs earlier on today, my wanker of a dog decided that I was racing her and tried to overtake me. I tripped over her and went flying down the last few (4/5?) steps, I tried to grab on to the handrail so that I could steady myself but all I managed to do was twist myself sideways so that I landed on the tile floor on my hip.

I'm in agony. Mainly my lower back and hip (obviously.) Dp managed to sort of carry me to the sofa where I've been laid flat ever since. I can't move without a searing pain shooting from my lower back down my leg.

I don't know if it's really worthy a trip to A and E, which would be a pain in itself, but the pain isn't settling with paracetamol/ibuprofen and it's starting to make me feel really sick.

Anyone got any advice please?

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Sun 15-Apr-18 17:15:53

Why isn’t it worth a trip to A&E?

CheeseandGherkins Sun 15-Apr-18 17:17:07

I did something very similar a couple of months ago, managed to get off the floor after a few minutes, but my back is still sore now. I was holding my youngest at the time but managed to protect her, but twisted myself to do so.

If you can't move without so much pain then definitely a&e, possibly even an ambulance as you may have done yourself some serious damage.

Hope you feel better soon and that you haven't done anything too bad.

HarshingMyMellow Sun 15-Apr-18 17:17:14

If I haven't broken anything they can't really do much, can they?

WilburIsSomePig Sun 15-Apr-18 17:17:44

Don't be silly, you could have broken something. Get to the hospital.

moreismore Sun 15-Apr-18 17:17:56

You could have done anything from severe bruising to nerve damage to a fracture. You need proper medical advice really.

Bratsandtwats Sun 15-Apr-18 17:18:16

A&E. Call an ambulance if you can't get in the car. HCP here.

HelloCanYouHearMe Sun 15-Apr-18 17:18:34

Go to A & E OP... You've had an accident, can hardly move and are in pain.

When I fell down that many steps and the pain made me feel ill, I'd bust my foot in 2 places

PinkCalluna Sun 15-Apr-18 17:19:04

Don’t be an idiot. Get someone to take you to A&E to get checked out and treated.

HarshingMyMellow Sun 15-Apr-18 17:19:28

@CheeseandGherkins Gosh, it's so painful isn't it! What a worry for you, I'm lucky as Dd was asleep at the time. Otherwise she'd of probably come down with me too.

I'm thinking about it, but I always worry about wasting A and Es time. If I can wait to go the GP, I try to.

bonnyshide Sun 15-Apr-18 17:20:05

A & e (if you can't get in a car then call an ambulance)

SmilingButClueless Sun 15-Apr-18 17:20:28

If you don’t want to go to A&E, at least call 111 for advice.

CheeseandGherkins Sun 15-Apr-18 17:21:04

Yes it really was! DH managed to help me stand and I hobbled to the sofa to cry for a bit. Took some painkillers and a hot water bottle, BUT that helped me and I wasn't in agony.

Sounds as though you're worse off, I really would get seen at a&e, just in case.

OdileDeCaray Sun 15-Apr-18 17:21:23

Please seek medical advice.

GlitteryFluff Sun 15-Apr-18 17:22:12

This is worthy of a&e.

educatingarti Sun 15-Apr-18 17:22:40

You NEED to go to A and E. If you have damaged/ broken a vertebra in your spine you could be risking paralysis or permanent disablement by continuing to move.

snewname Sun 15-Apr-18 17:22:58

Another A&E advice.

Kenworthington Sun 15-Apr-18 17:23:03

Op don’t be a dick about it- just go to a&e

CuriousaboutSamphire Sun 15-Apr-18 17:23:42

You won't be wasting their time. You have had an accident. They deal with accidents, it's in the job description.

So, decide whether you can get into the car or if you will need an ambulance to get you there... if you don't think you can get into the car that is MORE reason to call an ambulance.

DO NOT PLAY SILLY BUGGERS with your back/hip. Go now!

RaindropsAndSparkles Sun 15-Apr-18 17:25:34

GP will send you for an Xray. It's A&E. I fell hard on my beckside a cpl of years ago. Unspeakable pain but could walk - higher up though. It was a broken vertebrae. If you can't move or getting in the car is too painful it's an ambulance. Also the sooner you get a prescription for anti-inflammatories and strong pain relief the better.


gamerchick Sun 15-Apr-18 17:25:59

Your gp can’t see through your flesh they’ll just send you to a&e anyway.

You’ve had an accident, you need to go and get checked out.

gnarlington Sun 15-Apr-18 17:26:03

A&E and quite possibly an ambulance to get you there!

WishingOnABar Sun 15-Apr-18 17:26:30

Pelvic fractures are incredibly dangerous, you should absolutely go to A&E. Hope you are ok

Leyani Sun 15-Apr-18 17:26:56

From what you say this is an A&E matter rather than GP/OOH. Yes wait is awful and resources stretched etc, but there's just no way of knowing what you've done without it being looked at

Strax Sun 15-Apr-18 17:28:20

I'd be going to a&e in those circumstances. I had an accident where I smashed my ankle. I took painkillers, waited a while and when I was still crying with pain after an hour and couldn't walk, realised it needed to be seen. This is the position you are in. You've done the right things so far, waited to see if it's settled and it hasn't. You're still in agony hours(?) after the event,the painkillers you have aren't enough. Get to a&e. Or at the least, call 111 and describe the pain honestly and let them tell you to go to a&e.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: