Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Cool sandals for ten year old boys? Is there such a thing?

(56 Posts)
Aquitania Sun 15-Apr-18 16:53:48

I'm planning on buying the DC some sandals tomorrow (ever the optimist), but it's just occurred to me that I can't recall seeing preteen boys wearing sandals last summer, just trainers. I've previously always bought Clarks sandals for both DS and DD in hot weather, but suspect that this might mark DS as uncool now he's in Year 5.

I fear that sandals are viewed as desperately tragic and babyish by the cool ten year olds. Is this right? Are there any 'acceptable' sandals for ten year old boys, or must they sweat it out in their trainers all summer?

ORIam Sun 15-Apr-18 16:56:28

My 9 year old wouldn't wear sandals but he's never liked them. For summer it's crocs and lightweight fabric trainers. Clarks do their own Nike air version which are very lightweight.

Aquitania Sun 15-Apr-18 17:02:04

Crocs? Really? Ok - any particular style/colour?

Lightweight fabric trainers...haven't a clue. Where would I get them from? JD Sports or somewhere like that?

Thank you!

Sagegreen Sun 15-Apr-18 17:04:25

Yes! This is my 4th year of buying the same ones from Decathlon. They are superb. My son is 8 now and is lookumg forward to the net pair. I'll try to link...you can but online if can't get to the shop. They are in 4 colours but here are the red.
www.decathlon.co.uk/nh900-jr-sandals-blue-id_8357657.html

youokayhun Sun 15-Apr-18 17:04:37

Most boys round my way wear sliders. My 8 year old was in Adidas sliders last summer and will be in similar this year. I wouldn't say crocs would be doing anything for anyone's street cred (do they have that in year 5?!) but maybe that's just me

thanksamillion Sun 15-Apr-18 17:05:28

DS who is now 11 has had sandals for the last 2 years but they've been a bit more enclosed with something over the toe so that he can still kick a football. I think they were from Tesco's. Otherwise lightweight trainers.

harlaandgoddard Sun 15-Apr-18 17:06:56

Sliders

dementedpixie Sun 15-Apr-18 17:09:13

www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-antibes-junior-sandals-224006?colcode=22400603 Ds has some like this

BringMeCoffeePlease Sun 15-Apr-18 17:12:26

Sliders are good and fashionable but they're obviously not practical for running around at the park. They're good for slipping on and popping out.

Have a look at on Schuh at the boys' sandals. I love these www.schuh.co.uk/kids/toddler-birkenstock-milano-eva-black-trainers/2503417060/
These are cool, especially in black.

Or these are definitely cool: www.schuh.co.uk/kids/toddler-nike-sunray-protect-2-khaki-trainers/5501904660/

If I was you, I would 100% go for the second link, the Nike ones.

Leicesterpiggott Sun 15-Apr-18 17:13:15

DS who is 11 has these. Perfect for summer and football kicking. He's had them three years running! Also pretty bargainous for Timberlands!

BringMeCoffeePlease Sun 15-Apr-18 17:13:36

I've just realised they say toddler on the links, but you'll definitely be able to get the second ones in sizes up to adult men's sizes.

Aworldofmyown Sun 15-Apr-18 17:18:18

My son loves Birkenstocks - don't think they are cool though!!!

SusannahD Sun 15-Apr-18 17:19:35

www.adidas.co.uk/altaswim/BA9289.html
What size shoe is he, these go to a size 2 and my DS found them really comfy and lightweight

WishingOnABar Sun 15-Apr-18 17:22:52

Sliders are the way to go but I hear the fashion is that they are supposed to be worn with contrasting socks, so glad to to too old for fashion myself grin

RosaBaby2 Sun 15-Apr-18 17:30:13

We’re getting Nike Sunray Adjust this year as his feet are too big now for the ‘Protect’ version which he prefers but they only go up to a 2.5. I also like the covered sandals posted above and my son would wear those too.

My son is absolutely useless at walking in flip flops so sliders would be a big fat no grin

Momo18 Sun 15-Apr-18 17:33:23

Sorry but I have a DS a similar age and tbh his friends would make him the but of all jokes wearing sandals. I know it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks etc, but it is what it is.

Jeffjefftyjeff Sun 15-Apr-18 17:36:20

DS (11) will not go near ‘proper’ sandals. Wore black flip flops last year.

Tomboytown Sun 15-Apr-18 17:39:24

timberlands
My son doesn't complain about these?

BuffyBee Sun 15-Apr-18 17:41:24

The Timberlands are the way to go!
You could show him the choices on here though and ask him what he thinks!

Oldraver Sun 15-Apr-18 17:43:50

I've just bought DS (12) his second pair of 'sandals' similar to the Decathlon ones from Mountain Warehouse..only his have velcro strap around the heel.

The are light and airy but protect the toes when doing physical things

Growingboys Sun 15-Apr-18 17:45:34

Gotta say those sliders look awful to me, though I know some ppl say they're cool right now. Over my dead body will my sons wear them though.

We've had those navy and yellow Timberlands before and they're great. Stable eg for running in the park but perfect to wear eg paddling in the Med if there are those bloody things that sting you in the sand.

The Decathlon ones look good too.

Aquitania Sun 15-Apr-18 17:52:06

Agh, thank you all for the feedback. What a bloody minefield. I miss the days when I could just go to John Lewis and buy something in primary colours.

The sliders look fine for slopping about in, but running in the garden needs something more secure. He's size 4.5/5. I'll have a look at those Timberland and Nike ones now.

Aquitania Sun 15-Apr-18 17:56:03

[[https://www.schuh.co.uk/kids/junior-nike-rift-red-trainers/2600643060/ These] Nike Rift things look ok... Or are they tragic too?

BarbraDear Sun 15-Apr-18 17:57:50

10 is a bit of a tricky age. My 11 year old would rather die than wear the majority of sandals here BUT that's just because it's not something you would wear round here. He would wear sliders, plain thong flip flops or maybe the black birkenstocks from schuh that someone else posted, if we were abroad though.

Lightweight trainers with socks or trainer socks seems to be the only thing that age group wears here.

HicDraconis Sun 15-Apr-18 18:05:00

Teva are great. Decent quality too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: