Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Primary school admissions day

(125 Posts)
DrMidgeryMargery Sun 15-Apr-18 15:40:37

Is anyone else waiting to find out about school places?

My four year old starts in September and we find out her offer tomorrow. I’m a bit nervous and I don’t know why - it won’t change anything 😁

FellOutOfBed2wice Sun 15-Apr-18 15:42:19

Same here. Feeing very nervous but not sure quite why as would be basically happy for her to go to any of the six choices. Our number one choice is outstanding and oversubscribed so I’ve made my peace with the fact that she will probably end up in school number two (good and a bit closer to our house). I feel as nervous as when I was waiting for my own GCSE/A Level results!

DrMidgeryMargery Sun 15-Apr-18 15:46:18

All of our options are nothing particularly special and I’m sure she’d be fine at any of them, but I’ve still got a weird nervousness. Maybe I fucked the form up and she won’t get anything 😁

LambMadras Sun 15-Apr-18 15:50:55

Same here. Desperate to get DS into our first choice. It's our catchment school so hopefully won't be an issue but still have a nervous tummy.

Think it's more about the fact that it makes it official. My baby is off to school. That in itself makes me want to sob. He will be only just 4. sad

DrMidgeryMargery Sun 15-Apr-18 15:54:46

Ah Lamb, I’m exactly the same. I look at my DD and she seems so small. Sigh. Fingers crossed for all of us, and here’s to many happy primary school years ahead of us grin

FellOutOfBed2wice Sun 15-Apr-18 16:07:21

Yes, my DD isn’t even four until July so she seems so little and I can’t believe that my tiny little baby is going to be old enough for school. She on the other hand is very excited and can’t wait.

NoWordForFluffy Sun 15-Apr-18 16:10:34

We're waiting too. DS is a sibling though where siblings are priority 2 (after looked after children) so I'm not concerned. I was with DD last year as she's number 1 child.

Is it tomorrow we hear, not overnight Mon / Tues? DS is a poor neglected second born, as I counted down last year until I found out! blushgrin

liquidrevolution Sun 15-Apr-18 16:15:45

Another 4 in July DD here. She doesn't seem old enough in my mind but she is definitely ready for school.

I have a good idea we have our first choice as West Berk accidentally posted the 2018 allocations table online last week and it shows spaces at that school. I'm still nervous we made the wrong choice though confused.

DrMidgeryMargery Sun 15-Apr-18 16:17:22

I hope it’s tomorrow or I’ve got another day to wait 😁

FellOut that’s good that she’s excited. My DD has already decided she doesn’t want to go, despite me and her dad being nothing but positive. Great smile

keepingbees Sun 15-Apr-18 16:27:35

Yep we're waiting here. We have sibling link so technically should be ok, although it is an oversubscribed, small village school and there's a lot of siblings this year apparently so I'm feeling a bit edgy!

NoWordForFluffy Sun 15-Apr-18 16:33:24

It's a big year group this year, apparently. Our school has an intake of 120, so I'd be worried if we weren't OK!

DS isn't 4 until July either. He's excited about going, thankfully. He's had 2 years at preschool though, which helps.

LambMadras Sun 15-Apr-18 17:35:02

My DS is not excited. He's tearful every time I mention it. I've been positive and upbeat about it but he really struggles with change. I think I do too. I'd love him at home for another year but there is no reason to defer him.

Good luck to you all tomorrow. thanks

LeannePerrins Sun 15-Apr-18 17:56:30

Solihull emails are out.

CazM2012 Sun 15-Apr-18 18:00:50

Waiting here too, should be fine, usually less applications than places and older sibling at the school but always a worry.
There’s no way I can do a different school run so it’s there or home schooling confused

Stormwhale Sun 15-Apr-18 18:05:20

Same boat here. I am hoping I have nothing to worry about as we were very happy with her catchment school so have put that as choice 1. It just all seems so real. Sometimes she seems really ready, but then sometimes she seems too little. She is one of the older ones of the year group too, so I really feel for the ones with summer born children.

Thatbloodydog Sun 15-Apr-18 18:07:38

Anxiously waiting here too. I'll be bitterly disappointed if DD doesn't get in to our priority school but like a PP, siblings are 2nd priority after LAC and it's a huge sibling intake this year (half the entry, single form entry). Our second choice is probably the better school in terms of OFSTED etc but DD (and latterly DS when it's his turn) would fit in so well to our first choice.

Rachie1986 Sun 15-Apr-18 18:22:23

Leanne wish our local area would do something so sensible! Midnight is all very well but I'm early days pregnant, existing medical condition and back at work tomorrow so I can't stay up til midnight when ours are released but equally will struggle to sleep!
Wish for an email now so it was all over!

DrMidgeryMargery Sun 15-Apr-18 18:23:50

LambMadras my DD is the same. She was excited for a bit, and we’ve only ever been positive about all the cool things she’ll get to do at school, but if it comes up in conversation these days she’s adamant she’s not going. I hope that changes by Sept or we’ll have that horrible thing of having to leave her there crying. Bleugh, makes me feel sick to think of it.

APermanentlyExhaustedPigeon Sun 15-Apr-18 18:32:08

Another one waiting here, and another July baby!

Hoping we get our first choice as it’s walking distance and I haven’t passed my driving test yet! It’s quite a small school which I think will suit DD and a great reputation so fingers crossed.

Our 2nd choice is also supposed to be very good, but a bit bigger and I would need to drive so I guess that would force my hand on the driving grin

happymumof4crazykids Sun 15-Apr-18 18:47:27

I've been really lucky our LA sent the letters out Friday and I got mine Saturday morning! I am so relieved we had applied for an outstanding school and we are out of catchment. ( it's our closest school but not our catchment school)
I was originally planning to stay up tonight and check at midnight. Good luck to everyone waiting to find out wine

BangingOn Sun 15-Apr-18 18:47:56

Leanne were the emails due out today or did they just appear early? The admissions section of our council’s website is completely down, so I assume it’s been taken offline to get everything loaded on. Apparently our emails will be sent from 8:30am tomorrow.

I’m really torn, we are 99% certain that DS is staying at the private school he joined for pre-school as our catchment school has very limited wraparound provision. It only takes 15 children as it’s a tiny, rural school and the next nearest options aren’t great. If we don’t get our catchment school tomorrow then he will definitely be staying put, if we do then DH and will need to have a final, serious chat to decide.

LeannePerrins Sun 15-Apr-18 18:49:51

@BangingOn The published date was the 16th but apparently Solihull always come out the night before. I'm not sure why!

flowers and wine to those waiting nervously.

CloudCaptain Sun 15-Apr-18 18:50:45

We got the letter Saturday morning. Got in our outstanding, oversubscribed, out of catchment first choice. Yay! Good luck to those still waiting.

DownstairsMixUp Sun 15-Apr-18 18:51:30

We are waiting to but he has his brother there so hoping it's ok. He only turns 4 August 29th though doesn't seem right

BangingOn Sun 15-Apr-18 18:52:37

Thanks Leanne, we border Solihull so I’m hoping ours might do the same (no logic there at all!).

Hurrah for everyone getting good news, really pleased for you all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: