Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Been scammed for £7k fuckfuckfuck

(176 Posts)
AnoiaUnstickMyDrawers Sun 15-Apr-18 08:57:20

DP got a personal bank loan to buy some equipment for his business. After lots of back and forth he paid £7,000 on Friday by bank transfer. Nothing since. He has obviously been scammed. Looks like a clone of a legitimate company, so all his checking of companies house etc etc was for nothing.

He was scared to tell me yesterday hmm so told me this morning. I've got him on the phone to his bank and action fraud. Is there anything else we should be doing?

We aren't going to get this money back are we?

To put it into perspective, my salary is 18.5k. This is a fuckload of money for us.

Drum71 Sun 15-Apr-18 08:59:29

It’s a shit load of money for anyone. Can the police help here at all, not sure but it’s a major fraud.

Anything on Facebook or other social media about these people?

GaryBaldyBiscuit Sun 15-Apr-18 08:59:45

I’m so sorry, I don’t know what else you can do, just didn’t want to read and not offer support. A more knowledgeable mumsnet fer should be along soon flowers

LifeBeginsAtGin Sun 15-Apr-18 08:59:55

Is it gym equipment?

kaytee87 Sun 15-Apr-18 09:00:11

Report it to the police

LuluBellaBlue Sun 15-Apr-18 09:01:16

It sounds like you’re making a lot of negative projections and assumptions. I hope it all works out perfectly for you both flowers

VeganAsia Sun 15-Apr-18 09:02:08

So sorry to hear this, but there’s no way of getting money back that you paid via bank transfer (to someone’s sort code and account number) banks don’t cover us for this.

twinone Sun 15-Apr-18 09:02:31

If he paid it on Friday, would he necessarily of heard anything yet?
Did he ring the company to confirm they had payment?

Gunpowder Sun 15-Apr-18 09:02:32

Yes definitely tell the police. I’m so sorry. Some people are such shits. Hope you get the money back and they go to prison. sad

Teacuphiccup Sun 15-Apr-18 09:02:56

Doesn’t seem like projection to me and when negative things happen you’re allowed to be fucked off.

Can the bank help at all?

Teacuphiccup Sun 15-Apr-18 09:03:26

Cross post with Asia

scurryfunge Sun 15-Apr-18 09:05:01

Op has already reported to ActionFraud so she doesn't need to call police.

kaytee87 Sun 15-Apr-18 09:08:48

@VeganAsia well it happened to my DH, the bank wasn't interested so he went to the police and got the money back.

annandale Sun 15-Apr-18 09:11:06

What a nightmare sad

Random thought but there are still some papers and magazines that will pay you a little for stories like this, and it might help someone else avoid being scammed. Try Woman or woman's own? I hope the bank are helpful, keep trying with them, you never know.

AnoiaUnstickMyDrawers Sun 15-Apr-18 09:11:52

lulu how positive would you like me to be about losing £7k? Read asia s post - that's whay I'm 'negative'

No, not gym equipment. Heavy plant.

Since he paid several forums have got posts that pop up on google about it being a scam where they use pics from other people's adverts. It's definitely not legit.

I've read that there was a suggested reform for this year where people get more protection in this sort of situation. But it doesn't look look like any changes have been put in place.

Feel so bloody powerless.

AnoiaUnstickMyDrawers Sun 15-Apr-18 09:13:27

Kaytee87 how did he get it back? Was it as part of a prosecution?

PattiStanger Sun 15-Apr-18 09:16:19

I'd not really on Action Fraud alone, I'd phone the police as well. If other people have also been scammed it might be easier to get them to take action.

What kind of communication did you have with them?

OdileDeCaray Sun 15-Apr-18 09:16:47

I still sometimes see the John Deere ads on Facebook and people getting interested despite the scam being around for years now.

More should be done to publicise it and other scams.

kaytee87 Sun 15-Apr-18 09:17:26

It didn't even get to that, we told the persons bank that we had called the police and gave the crime reference number and they must have told the person. They obviously got worried and sent it back.

TerfsUp Sun 15-Apr-18 09:22:24

No advice, OP, but you and your partner have my sympathy. flowers

flowerslemonade Sun 15-Apr-18 09:23:45

I'm sorry to hear this, how horrible sad xx

sonjadog Sun 15-Apr-18 09:24:39

Are you 100% sure that it is a scam? If he only paid on Friday, it isn´t that odd that nothing has been heard from them over the weekend, is it?

DD43 Sun 15-Apr-18 09:25:39

Police obviously!

If it was a bank transfer, surely SOMEONE at the ban should have some idea where the money went.

You need to ring the police, and also contact your bank.

DD43 Sun 15-Apr-18 09:26:02

BANK not 'ban' sorry..

scurryfunge Sun 15-Apr-18 09:26:20

Patti, sounds like the offender is completely unknown so the police would just refer her to ActionFraud.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: