Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Western bombing of Syria has begun

(162 Posts)
PerspicaciaTick Sat 14-Apr-18 03:34:28

www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-middle-east-43710303
Shit.

S0upertrooper Sat 14-Apr-18 03:39:06

God help them.

Mustang27 Sat 14-Apr-18 03:40:25

But there will be civilian casualties hmm.

Nothing feels right at the moment. All lead by the man that tweets politics from his bog.

PerspicaciaTick Sat 14-Apr-18 03:51:03

I'm not sure that what he does in the bog comes under the description "politics". I wish I felt that he really understood the consequences of his decision.

nursy1 Sat 14-Apr-18 04:02:03

Just hold your breath and let’s see what Russia and Iran do.

Mustang27 Sat 14-Apr-18 04:03:17

You are absolutely right it is not politics.

I'm thinking if Russia retaliate that North Korea may join them and potentially China would side also. The ripples could be huge on this I'm hoping not.

There has to be an other way to over turn Assad and help the Syrians, bombing them does not seem like an answer to me.

Mustang27 Sat 14-Apr-18 04:03:52

You are absolutely right it is not politics.

I'm thinking if Russia retaliate that North Korea may join them and potentially China would side also. The ripples could be huge on this I'm hoping not.

There has to be an other way to over turn Assad and help the Syrians, bombing them does not seem like an answer to me.

Flypaperforarseholes Sat 14-Apr-18 05:07:30

Anyone else find the timing - hours before the OPCW Fact-Finding mission was to begin - suspicious?

Weezol Sat 14-Apr-18 05:15:11

How utterly, utterly heartbreaking. I live in a designated city of sanctuary, and the market town my folks live in welcomed a group of refugee families just last year.

Maybe if the 'West' had supported the rebels whole heartedly years ago things would be different today. Supplying small arms and tactical aid to them whilst nodding and smiling at Assad was always going to be inadequate.

Weezol Sat 14-Apr-18 05:22:32

China will not gamble their international trade agreements over Syria. That's why they shortened NK's leash and summoned Kim to the headmaster's study recently for a talking to.

Putin has some chops, but he seems to be fixed in the past. If we were still looking at the USSR I would have some concerns however the Russian military is nothing like it was then. They had to send 'elite troops' to Crimea. In the old days, conscripts would have been sufficiently capable.

It's fucking grim, but I wouldn't dig an air-raid shelter just yet.

Bettyfood Sat 14-Apr-18 05:35:47

FFS. Why is it always the UK? Why are we always interfering in the Middle East? We are small, insignificant country and not a world super power with a large Empire and massive army but successive governments carry on as if we are. It never ends well. I wouldn't mind if we were part of EU or UN forces but acting as the UK only with France and the US just singles us out for terrorist reprisals in the future.

What's the plan? Remove Assad and then what? Leave a vacuum. That went so well in Libya and Iraq.

Plus the fact it is much worse now with the Russian involvement and could end in world war. This is all another example of male violence en masse and I'm fucking sick of it.

Mummyoflittledragon Sat 14-Apr-18 05:41:25

Weezol
I love your comment on Kim. I would have thought Putin may decide to retaliate if he feels the need to flex his muscles in the aftermath of the Salisbury poising incident

Weezol Sat 14-Apr-18 05:46:50

I've long held that the first wave of troops should have to include members of the cabinet/Senate.
It's just too easy to send other people's kids to die. And to refer to civilian deaths as 'collateral damage'.

Weezol Sat 14-Apr-18 05:52:29

Mummy Thank you.

Given that Putin can't control huge tracts of his own empire and isn't sure where a lot of his hardware actually is, he can flex away. They have long memories in Russia that haven't forgotten the clusterfucks that were Chechnya and Afghanistan. Russia is big, but it has no allies and is skint.

China would be happy to nip over their borders and repossess territory taken by the USSR. They have the capability and the appetite to expand.

counterpoint Sat 14-Apr-18 06:01:18

* Anyone else find the timing - hours before the OPCW Fact-Finding mission was to begin - suspicious?*

Yes.

The OPCW didn't give them exactly the result they wanted to 'prove' Russia was behind the Salisbury fiasco.

Now, the staged chemical attack in Syria was going to face the same tests and Boris&May couldn't wait for their equivalent of the fake WMD to unravel.

Very sad selling weapons and stealing other's oil is our government's only capability.

Pittapatter Sat 14-Apr-18 06:02:32

Flypaper

I agree entirely.
Anyone remember the Kuwait Incubators?
I sincerely hope all sides step back. More jaw jaw less war war.

Mummyoflittledragon Sat 14-Apr-18 06:10:30

You are right about China Weezol. Although I’m not enthused by that prospect either. Thanks for your response. I didn’t know they’d misplaced so much hardware. They seem to be spending on new tech and strengthening their military might so I imagine at some stage this will be irrelevant, won’t it?

LEMtheoriginal Sat 14-Apr-18 06:24:17

This scares me. I also feel ashamed

Theworldisfullofidiots Sat 14-Apr-18 06:27:24

This is terrible and a stupid decision.

EngTech Sat 14-Apr-18 06:35:18

Be interesting to see what JC says in response to this 😳

Bettyfood Sat 14-Apr-18 06:36:10

I'm not entirely convinced that the poisoning wasn't carried out by UK/US intelligence services. And that the "chemical attack" wasn't staged footage, or that it did take place but it wasn't the Syrian government who did it. All set up to manage public opinion so they can launch these attacks now.

What goes against this is that the "dodgy dossier" used to cook up an excuse to invade Iraq was so unsophisticated and obviously dodgy at the time. But this time they've become more sophisticated or It's being led by the Mossad/US intelligence.

larrygrylls Sat 14-Apr-18 06:41:14

It is a tiny strike, all over in 70 minutes. The US have (kind of) made their point and Russia will be happy that the US is clearly fearful of mounting a meaningful attack. Assad will be jubilant that he has not lost any major assets.

All those saying we concocted this have been drinking way too much cool aid.

123MothergotafleA Sat 14-Apr-18 06:42:38

I agree that it's all very scary, what with risk of escalating the situation etc. But how can the world give the message to rogue states without use of some kind of force?
Assad is unlikely to cease and desist after a telling off by Donald, Teresa and Emmanuel. Tyrants only understand one language.

StealthPolarBear Sat 14-Apr-18 06:47:01

Marking place

GreenItWas Sat 14-Apr-18 06:49:37

This is heartbreaking news. We are not a superpower and we can't even police our own streets properly.

A few weeks ago I heard on the radio that V Putin doesn't even have the internet. Can this be true?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: