Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Using less plastic - anyone want to join me??

(253 Posts)
OhFucko Thu 12-Apr-18 22:41:19

For many reasons, I'm trying to use less plastic. Is anyone else doing this?

So far I'm trying to eliminate food plastic (harder than you think!) and drastically cut down on toiletries/cosmetics plastic.

Me! I'm in. Finding it very difficult though!

OhFucko Thu 12-Apr-18 22:47:04

Ive stopped cooking in plastic. No more Tupperware or cling film in the microwave.
I store food in the fridge in old jam jars or ceramic dishes with paper or foil over, and heat in Pyrex if I'm using the microwave.

I've also ditched cling film/sandwich bags I favour of brown paper bags. And I'm going to start buying veg at the market also in brown paper bags.

OhFucko Thu 12-Apr-18 22:47:35

I'm actually quite enjoying it!! grin

jugotmail Thu 12-Apr-18 22:49:40

Me! I have just gone back to the milkman and glass bottles - also means i dont go to the shop and buy loads of extras when i only need milk. So hard though when everything seems to be wrapped in multiple layers.

I've ditched shower gel in favour of soap and laundry liquid in favour of powder in a paper box.

I've been looking for cream cheese in foil like butter instead of a plastic tub, but having no luck so far.

madamginger Thu 12-Apr-18 22:54:50

I’m trying too, I’ve swapped the cat to tinned food instead of pouches and I’ve sewn some washable sandwich wrappers for the kids packed lunches. I also bought a soda stream but I’m no so keen on the taste blush

OhFucko Thu 12-Apr-18 22:57:39

I'm also trying to go back to glass bottles!!

And also ditched shower gel and hand wash in favour of soap bars.

Getting butter in blocks instead of spreadable in plastic containers.

Shampoo I can't ditch, but I'm switching to a very ethical brand and getting litre bottles.

OhFucko Thu 12-Apr-18 22:57:54

Oh and I switched to a menstrual cup!

OhFucko Thu 12-Apr-18 23:00:52

I'm shocked at how much plastic we use actually. Once you start to notice it its staggering.

I'm trying to be realistic - I can't say 'I'm giving up plastic forever,' but I'm doing my best.

It's quite addictive too, once you get going!!

JustWanderingAbout Thu 12-Apr-18 23:00:56

Ooh this sounds very interesting. I’m still using Tupperware but hoping not to buy any more. And sandwich bags r out.

Finding the

Mistoffelees Thu 12-Apr-18 23:02:07

Me! I'm using tupperware instead of wrapping things like cheese on cling film (we already had the tupperware so will use until it breaks then get something non-plastic) soap instead of shower gel, cotton buds with paper stems instead of plastic, refuse straws in restaurants/pubs.
I am currently debating whether to go for a safety razor, I have been using the BIC soleil disposable ones for years but was quite conscious of how wasteful they are, so I bought a Wilkinson one with replaceable heads but it's useless, doesn't give a smooth shave at all.

JustWanderingAbout Thu 12-Apr-18 23:02:37

Sorry posted too soon

Finding the packaging on a lot of food products very wasteful and unnecessary so starting to look at that too

MissSueFlay Thu 12-Apr-18 23:03:25

We have switched to milk delivered in glass bottles.

And I got an insulated butter dish from Lakeland for blocks of butter - used to have plastic tubs of Lurpak Spreadable... it will be interesting to see if the dish stops the butter turning to soup in warm weather!

Can someone give an honest review of shampoo bars?

VallarMorghulis Thu 12-Apr-18 23:42:13

I'll join! I have switched to paper straws. I've got silicone lids for bowls, they're very good. I reuse freezer bags but am trying to phase them out and use takeaway containers instead.

clarrylove Fri 13-Apr-18 11:36:48

We've just had a shop open which sells food non-packaged!

StandardsHighSquatsLow Fri 13-Apr-18 11:45:31

Omg, I LOVE this thread. OP, you can switch shampoo/conditioner. Lush do them in bars, and then you only need to buy a metal tin once to keep it in. I've not heard brilliant things about the conditioner but the bars are brilliant. Can't speak for all of them, as it's dependant on what your hair needs.

My favourite find from there - their toothpaste tabs. Little chewable tablets in a bottle that you can take back and get refilled. Yes the bottle is plastic but it's reclycable and reusable smile

Imfinehowareyou Fri 13-Apr-18 11:52:36

Isn't it just single use plastic that's the problem? I have Tupperware (as if, cheap IKEA version grin) but use it endlessly.
I won't buy cling film, sandwich bags or straws again. The DC have reusable plastic straws but I've seen glass ones that can go in the dishwasher.
I like the idea of the milk being delivered. I will check that out.
I do a lot of what's already been mentioned on this thread but plastic is still our biggest bag on recycling day.
Any suggestions for contact lenses? I don't want to stop using them but it's not just the lenses that get thrown away but the storage pots and the solution bottles.

RatherBeRiding Fri 13-Apr-18 11:53:45

I am switching to a bar of soap for the shower, and a natural sponge/washable cotton flannel instead of those plastic sponge things. I have also switched to laundry powder in cardboard boxes.

It's so hard to eliminate plastic, but I am now hoarding every bit of recyclable plastic I can, saving it in the garage and taking it back to the supermarket to put in their carrier bag recycle bins - the stretchy plastic you get on packs of loo rolls, packs of apples etc. It is scary just how much I gather together from one small supermarket shop.

I am also saving every bit of tin foil (from chocolate, yogurt lids etc) as my local supermarket has a metal foil recycling bin too.

When shopping, I am trying to chose recyclable plastic containers but the supermarkets need to get much more on board with it.

RatherBeRiding Fri 13-Apr-18 11:55:09

And DD was recently given a metal straw for her birthday. Such a small thing but we both got very excited about it! grin

OhFucko Fri 13-Apr-18 12:13:02

I can't use the Lush shampoo bars as I boycott Lush.

Contact lenses are also an issue for me as I use dailies so there's loads of waste but I can't wear glasses in my job sad

I'm now buying bread at the bakery instead of in bags. It's silly but it gives me such a lovely feeling having less plastic around, don't know why!

Re Tupperware, I'm trying to avoid any kind of food in plastic as I just don't believe it's safe sorry to sound tinfoil hat-like . With the story about plastic particles being found in almost all bottled water, I think it must permeate into food, so I'm trying not to store in plastic and I'm definitely not cooking in plastic.

Jam jars are great! I save them all and store say, half a tin of beans in them in the fridge. Made fer t'job!!

EmpressOfJurisfiction Fri 13-Apr-18 12:16:02

I use this shampoo bar & I'm really happy with it.
www.wild-sage.co.uk/product/handmade-natural-vegan-soap/shampoo-bar-rosemary-lavender

iwantavuvezela Fri 13-Apr-18 12:21:26

Count me in, like others changed to milk in glass bottles, bread in paper bags (have a reusable bag I take to bakery for other bread).
Buying loose fruit and veg, and getting a veg /fruit delivery every 2 weeks from Abel and Coke as use no plastic.
Switched back to glass for mayo and ketchup.
Boxes of washing powder.
Soaps instead of hand wash
Refusing straws
Reusable cup for coffee,

Really need to take the bathroom which is filled with plastic.

Really trying with single use plastic and have got family on board to try buy snacks that are not in plastic, choose drinks from cans etc. No where near plastic free but trying to make choices ever day that avoid plastic.

OhFucko Fri 13-Apr-18 12:39:42

Switched back to glass for mayo and ketchup

Oooh that's a good one!!

Empress I was looking at that one but couldn't find any reviews - you like it then? Does it lather much?

gaggiagirl Fri 13-Apr-18 12:55:02

my sister has made sandwich wraps for packed lunches by soaking old handkerchiefs and muslins in wax. They wrap brilliantly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: