Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Best holiday destinations ever...

(83 Posts)
Egghunt53 Thu 12-Apr-18 06:29:29

Can I put a vote in for the Polish city of Krakow. It is stunningly beautiful, safe and amazingly cheap to visit. It's literally packed with wonderful things to see, especially if you like churches. Must be more churches per square inch than most places in the world. What's not to like!

TenancyTroublesAgain Thu 12-Apr-18 06:36:52

I wouldn't say that's best. grin

Amsterdam gets my vote.

Egghunt53 Thu 12-Apr-18 06:54:12

I have been to Amsterdam also. Beautiful place, amazing holiday. Krakow has the edge though as it is so incredibly cheap to visit. Prices in shops, restaurants and everything else much lower than in the UK!

TenancyTroublesAgain Thu 12-Apr-18 12:55:30

I have been considering going there, guess I'll have to now!

antimatter Thu 12-Apr-18 12:59:01

May, June or September are best time to visit Krakow.

goose1964 Thu 12-Apr-18 13:00:54

Krakow is bloody cold in winter, we went there for Valentine's Day, the Poles were very friendly , but my favourite city has to be Tallinn we went there for the Christmas market great fun, and fab beer .

jlou96 Thu 12-Apr-18 13:02:46

Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. It was beautiful!

SharkSave Thu 12-Apr-18 13:46:29

Havana in Cuba. Most amazing place.
Everyone go now before it becomes a Starbucks on every corner

MonsteraDeliciosa Thu 12-Apr-18 13:52:47

Not sure of my best holiday destination, but I'm more determined now to getting round to visiting Krakow... have intended to my whole life. My great grandfather used to be mayor, and I have some distant relatives there.
Would love to visit the salt mines.

daisychain01 Thu 12-Apr-18 14:24:56

My vote is Malta. We are addicted!

That I love:

- Food: Fantastic food choice for vegetarians (in addition to meat and fish dishes). I always struggle abroad as it tends to be massive plates of meat, with veg as an afterthought, but in Malta I had at least 5 options in each restaurant. Lots of risottos, pasta, 4-5 veg for the side orders.

- The people: Friendly, genuinely appreciate that tourists help their economy to thrive, so nothing too much trouble and they love the Brits.

- Places to visit: loads of beautiful architecture, churches, memorials of the world wars.

- Weather: Easter weather is ideal for me, as I hate intense heat. Around 17 - 20 degrees every day for 2 weeks. Sunshine and light cloud. Good air quality, very little pollution at least not when we visited.

Malta Airport - lovely guest lounge, spacious and well staffed. Nice snacks and drinks. Views over the runways fascinating for DC.

Only Downside .... they do need to sort out their roads, more potholes than road. But they are a small island and they only have so much money in the kitty I suppose....

9.5 / 10 rating

daisychain01 Thu 12-Apr-18 14:25:40

Sorry, Things that I loved smile

BitchQueen90 Thu 12-Apr-18 14:29:04

daisychain reassuring to read that as I'm off to Malta in the summer and the general MN consensus is that it's disliked!

Sharksave I'm going to Cuba next year. Never been before.

Pyjamaface Thu 12-Apr-18 14:40:27

I'm putting another vote in for Krakow. I went in December and, yes, it was bloody cold but it is a gorgeous, gorgeous city. Cheap, friendly, and eaay to get around with some gentle wandering.

And the bugler is a very handy time keeper

BarbaraofSevillle Thu 12-Apr-18 14:46:56

Another Malta fan here. Part of the attraction for me is the excellent scuba diving, but still think it's a lovely place in its own way. There's a lot of snobbery on here about Malta, or pretty much anywhere that's not Puerto Pollensa.

Anyone who goes to Malta should try and also visit Gozo which is a short ferry ride away. More picturesque, laid back, and on a 'per head' basis, has about three times as many churches as Krakow. Both islands have lots of historical sites too.

ItsASairFecht Thu 12-Apr-18 14:49:25

We did Krakow mid December and had a fantastic time. Also went to Malta in January as a child and it snowed! Best place in the world for me is Croatia. Would move there in a heartbeat if I had any money.

Stpancras Thu 12-Apr-18 14:50:55

I just came on to say Gozo! Also loved Berlin and Lisbon.

goforkyourself Thu 12-Apr-18 14:59:21

Where did people stay in Krakow? Currently planning 3-4 days there in November and looking for ideas/recommendations for a budget hotel smile

ItsASairFecht Thu 12-Apr-18 15:44:44

We stayed here: www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g274772-d1958141-Reviews-Hotel_Maksymilian-Krakow_Lesser_Poland_Province_Southern_Poland.html

It was clean, warm, comfortable, good breakfast, short walk to centre, trams right outside if you wanted (but not noisy in rooms), staff very helpful and extremely good value. Not a posh neighborhood, but safe feeling, and it was really, really good. Wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

ItsASairFecht Thu 12-Apr-18 15:50:04

If you do go, highly recommend one of the free walking tours of Krakow. The walking tour of Jewish Krakow was something I will never forget..still get goosebumps thinking about it..excellent. Plus, most of the museums, parts of the castle etc are free on certain days (different day each one), so if you plan well you can see most things for free. Eg: if I remember rightly Schindlers Factory and The Eagle Pharmacy are free on a monday..you can go online now and book tickets, and pick them up in the main square..all very easy...same with Auschwitz, you must have a ticket. Can explain more if you need help, it's not as complicated as it sounds.

Egghunt53 Thu 12-Apr-18 17:29:16

We stayed in Aparthotel run by Krakow Living. It was a large apartment with 4 beds, 2 showers, lounge bit and kitchenette. It was very reasonable in price. Very modern and stylish only and only 10 minutes walk from main Square.

Egghunt53 Thu 12-Apr-18 17:30:35

Monstera How amazing that your great grandfather was Mayor of Krakow!

goforkyourself Thu 12-Apr-18 18:17:34

Thanks OP and its I'll have a look at those! Ditto the recommendations for things to do. My friend is keen to go to Copenhagen but from what I've heard it's very expensive to eat and drink so this should be enough to persuade her wink Flights to Krakow are really cheap from where we live, only €66 return so it'd be perfect for us. Is there a bus or train from the airport?

ItsASairFecht Thu 12-Apr-18 18:24:04

There is both a bus and a train, we got the train. One thing you have to be careful in Krakow is validating your tickets (you don't have to do that on the airport train, and I don't know about buses as we only used bus to Auschwitz and you didn't have to for that one)..but you MUST do it (and quickly) on the trams (you can be fined, it''s a real thing)..but it's easy, just stick your ticket in the yellow box and that's it validated. Tripadvisor forum is invaluable.

MountainPeakGeek Thu 12-Apr-18 18:30:07

SharkSave - Can you get by as a tourist in Havana with no knowledge of Spanish whatsoever? I've always wanted to visit there.

goforkyourself Thu 12-Apr-18 18:35:13

Ooh marvellous thank you! I haven't been on a city break for years so I need to know these things grin My friend is a real history buff so she'd love the tours you mentioned above (I will too, just trying to build a case for Krakow rather than Copenhagen grin )

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: