Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Most amusing examples of bad customer service

(592 Posts)
Twodogsandahooch Mon 09-Apr-18 19:25:28

Went to the seaside today. Was buying DDs ice cream when the server notices a large crack down the side of cone she was about to give DD2. ‘It’s got a crack in, is that ok?’. Me ‘I think it would be better if she had a new one’. Server goes to find senior who comes across and says that she just needs to be careful and eat it quickly. I said ‘she’s 4 - she doesn’t eat ice creams carefully or quickly’. First server then replies ‘the problem is I’ve already put the icecream in and can’t get it out. I can give you a tub in case it falls out’. At this point I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.
I think my exact words were ‘for heavens sake don’t be so stingy can we just have an icecream not in a broken cone’. In the end they did.

Can only assume they have a miserable sod of a boss who weighs the icecream tubs at the end of the day .

So mumsnet do your best. . . any other shockers

MillieMoon94 Mon 09-Apr-18 20:10:25

I took my DS (4) for a milkshake last week on the first sunny day we’ve had. There were loads of flavours and toppings to choose from, I went for rolo with magic stars and DS chose dairy milk and wanted rolos on top, even though they aren’t listed as a topping on the menu. When I asked for this the girl serving said he couldn’t have rolos on top as they weren’t a topping, whilst holding a packet of rolos for my milkshake in her hand! I used to work I retail so I do understand about only having specific buttons on the till, but just put any old topping through (they all cost the same) then do a stock adjustment. I ended up asking her to forget about his topping and just fished some of my own rolos out for him once we got outside 🙄

Mrsx79 Mon 09-Apr-18 20:15:07

In a local bar and I ordered a glass of wine. When the girl handed me my change she dropped a few coins into the wine. She looked at me. I said 'can I have a fresh glass please?' She got an empty glass and poured the wine into it... leaving the coins in the bottom of the old one. She didn't see my point that I didn't want to drink wine that had manky old coins through it.

Twodogsandahooch Mon 09-Apr-18 20:57:46

Millie moon the computer definitely said no. Mrs X9 You meant she poured the old wine into a new glass??

causeimunderyourspell Mon 09-Apr-18 20:58:34

Ah assistant in a sports shop - getting some trainers for my toddler, needed a size 5, had literally just got her measured in Clarke's. Found the ones I wanted and off she went to the stockroom to see if they had the size I needed. Came back with size 3 in her hand and said we've not got 5s, but these will probably be ok, they grow so quick anyway? I was just open-mouthed confused at what the F her train of thought was?

tortelliniforever Mon 09-Apr-18 21:01:54

At the supermarket: I had literally just paid for my shopping when I turned over a net bag of clementines and saw that they were all mouldy underneath. I asked to go and swap them and the woman on the till said "no, you should have checked them before you bought them".

ButternutCrinkleFries Mon 09-Apr-18 21:04:55

I once bought a pair of shoes from Topshop. I’d tried them on in the shop, but getting them home I realised I’d actually put 2 left shoes in the box - 1 size 5 and 1 size 6. Luckily I lived pretty closely and went straight back to change them. The woman told me she wouldn’t as they’d clearly been worn. I asked how the heck I was supposed to have walked around in 2 very high heeled left shoes and then returned them within an hour.

She spoke to her colleague who agreed with her and said I couldn’t exchange because they couldn’t be resold. I was baffled and told her she wouldn’t be able to sell the 2 right shoes that they’ve got left either. I asked to speak to a manager who came, looked at the shoes, told the woman to change them and apologised for the inconvenience. The woman was then so huffy with me as she reboxed them it was comical. I’m assuming she’s no longer in a customer facing role.

CherryPie12 Mon 09-Apr-18 21:08:17

I used to work with someone who refused to answer the phone sometimes because she “answered it yesterday” or “answered it last time it rang” this girl then left and got a job in a call centre, I cannot begin to imagine how she gets by

Cheekyandfreaky Mon 09-Apr-18 21:10:01

I think the worst are always those that make you feel bad for being a customer. I bumped into a friend as I was walking past a dessert parlour that was always packed with young children. She was there with her son (10) who was asking questions about the different options and the man behind the counter just looked pissed off and had a ‘f’ off’ vibe plastered all over him. It was so horrible.

CherryPie12 Mon 09-Apr-18 21:10:56

Also, I recently went to cross the road at the same time as a group of school children. I was stopped by the lolli-pop man to inform me I’d have to cross elsewhere as I wasn’t a school child, therefore shouldn’t be benefiting from his services grinhmm

Cheekyandfreaky Mon 09-Apr-18 21:11:46

@CherryPie12 that’s just excellent. I actually lol’d.

LARLARLAND Mon 09-Apr-18 21:13:25

Twice I have had shop assistants sneeze on bread products.

I took the dc for a KFC the other week. We went through the drive through. The server was passing me my change. It was very windy and before she handed me a ten pound note the wind whipped it out of her hand. She said 'I hope you get your tenner back.' DP had to go after it.

SemperIdem Mon 09-Apr-18 21:16:06

I work in a customer facing job and will defend people to the hilt on here normally when they’re complaining about some poor bugger giving bad service when actually they’ve just been a twat themselves. However you lot thus far have valid complaints!

ButternutCrinkleFries Mon 09-Apr-18 21:16:17

cherrypie we have a miserable bastard lolly pop man too! He refused to speak to anyone or let anyone know when he’s going to let people cross. He steps out into the road backwards having given no indication he is about to and then gives furious looks and headshakes at drivers who have to slam their brakes on. All the local drivers absolutely crawl that stretch of road dreading the second the suicidal lolly pop man jumps out in front of them.

PartyRingss Mon 09-Apr-18 21:16:26

Butternut that's hilarious! Can just envision someone trying to walk around in 2 left high heel shoes! gringrin

student26 Mon 09-Apr-18 21:18:40

Buying train tickets once and the train assistant gave me the wrong ones. I asked for them to be changed and she looked aghast and said 'I can't, it's my break, I don't have time.' I just stared at her until she changed them. Heaven forbid I get the actual tickets for the train service I wanted to travel in...

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 09-Apr-18 21:20:59

I got called a divvy by a stylist during a consultation in Avant Garde, because I didn't understand something shed said.
I've got no problems what so ever in naming and shaming them. I should have made a right show of her and mIlked it. However I was that shocked at the time.
I went to a cheaper salon and was treated like a Queen

VioletCharlotte Mon 09-Apr-18 21:21:40

I'm laughing so hard at some of these, especially the miserable lolly pop men. I think they're a particular breed (like Drs receptionists).

yawning801 Mon 09-Apr-18 21:23:55

Placemarking for later when I can actually think of one!

Mrsx79 Mon 09-Apr-18 21:24:13

@twodogs yes she expected me to drink the old wine.

Doilooklikeatourist Mon 09-Apr-18 21:27:10

Queued up,in Barclays to hand in a standing order mandate , was behind someone who was collecting £225 they had ordered in change

2 cashiers on the counter , one dealing with said customer , one sorting out something else

3 self service counters being used .
Then , another assistant dealing with a customer , came to the desk to ask a question.
And brings another customer to the desk , who then gets served in front of me , with both cashiers helping !!!! WTF !

My turn , I give my SO mandate , then ask to pay in a £50 note , and get asked to move to the self serve counter

I think my face gave the message , and it was paid into my account
Grrrrrrr

ManicPixieDream Mon 09-Apr-18 21:27:21

Years ago I was in Morrison's and I wanted to buy a cake from the counter that was being sold by the slice. I asked the lady how much it would be for the whole cake. She said "I can't sell it to you as I won't have any left to sell to anyone else". I told her I wanted to buy all the slices and surely it doesn't matter if she sells them to one person or ten people. She wouldn't have it and I ended up going elsewhere for my cake confused

00100001 Mon 09-Apr-18 21:29:00

ButternutCrinkleFries

I guess suicidal lollipop man does the trick then! grin

Betsy86 Mon 09-Apr-18 21:30:08

Absolutely crying at the lollipop man stories.

Hoppinggreen Mon 09-Apr-18 21:33:42

Tourist information centre in a seaside town Easter weekend.
I walked in and there was nobody there but I could hear noises from a back room. I stood for a while, then clumped about a bit and cleared my throat. After a few minutes a lady appeared and said “ yes?” In a rather cross voice. I asked if there was a dog friendly pub that did good food and she looked at me like I had asked if we could all come back to hers for tea and said “ I don’t know, I haven’t got a dog” and stood glaring at me
If she hadn’t had a badge on I would seriously have doubted she actually worked there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: