Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

DP is having a mare. Advice?

(71 Posts)
Mrsknackered Thu 05-Apr-18 08:05:26

DP has a really important interview this morning which is an hours drive away. Some how, and I’m not sure how, he got dressed this morning and left in CASUAL clothes (we’re talking jeans and a jumper) and has turned up to the place of interview.
He’s had a very stressful week as a close family member passed away, and he has struggled with it, I think he just completely forgot what he was meant to be doing when getting dressed at 6am sad
He can’t turn back now because he would then be late for his interview, what would you do?

CormoranStrike Thu 05-Apr-18 08:06:37

Nip to Asda and buy a cheap shirt and tie set?

Tamingoftheglue Thu 05-Apr-18 08:07:11

Buy something more formal looking from the nearest 24 hour supermarket.

Mrsknackered Thu 05-Apr-18 08:10:00

Great, I’ve just googled the closest. It’s not that close :/ I’ve text him the details as I don’t want to be phone in case he’s sitting in the waiting room with other candidates confused

purplepandas Thu 05-Apr-18 08:11:59

Agree with supermarket. I would do this. Hope he gets sorted.

purplepandas Thu 05-Apr-18 08:12:14

Good luck to your DH.

confusedofengland Thu 05-Apr-18 08:19:41

Any chance you can drive it to him? I'd do this for my DH if I had the car & didn't have to be anywhere myself (& he would for me).

Mrsknackered Thu 05-Apr-18 08:23:02

confused I wish, but he’s taken the only car.

He hasn’t answered the text about going to the supermarket and his interview starts in 8 mins sad bless him, he’s going to be so gutted.

BifsWif Thu 05-Apr-18 08:25:54

Can he tells little white lie and tell the interviewers that he spilt coffee all over his suit and he had to put on the spare clothes he had in his car?

If he aknowledges it and apologises it might not be so bad?

ThunderPunt Thu 05-Apr-18 08:39:26

I'd also go with the little white lie, had to change the flat car tyre or similar on way here. Luckily had change of clothes for meeting DP after work so put those on

confusedofengland Thu 05-Apr-18 08:59:49

Oh dear sad Maybe if he addresses it himself they may be able to see past it. Agree with the spilt coffee/tyre change idea. Hope it goes well, he does sound very stressed flowers

Mrscog Thu 05-Apr-18 09:01:15

I do a lot of interviewing. If he just addressed it directly it would make no difference, we’d discount it from consideration.

LifeBeginsAtGin Thu 05-Apr-18 09:08:41

I hope he is successful, but next time get his interview clothes out the night before and hang them in the bathroom or somewhere obvious.

I honestly don't think this is a good time for him though, his mind is really on something else to leave for an interview in jeans.

Freezingheart Thu 05-Apr-18 09:22:10

Why lie? Just explain there was a bereavement, apologise for atire then go ahead with the interview. This sounds far more professional than making up a story about spilt coffee

Charley50 Thu 05-Apr-18 09:27:03

I agree about telling the truth about being stressed from the bereavement..

BifsWif Thu 05-Apr-18 09:43:36

As shit as this sounds, I also interview a lot on a panel and I know that if a candidate had put on the wrong clothes for an interview without noticing, at least one person would think that he might not be emotionally strong enough at the moment for the role.

I say that as someone who has suffered a very traumatic bereavement - work places aren’t always understanding or compassionate.

What job is he applying for? I don’t usually condone lying but thought that would be the best option in the circumstances. I hope your DH is ok and does well today.

mintich Thu 05-Apr-18 09:56:40

I interview a lot of candidates and if I was told the coffee story, I'd think it was quite funny and I wouldn't judge them. I may judge if I was told the bereavement story that he might not be ready

DelurkingAJ Thu 05-Apr-18 10:07:17

I got pooped on by a seagull on the way to an interview once. All down the arm of my suit jacket (and in my hair). Arrived. HR lady refrained from laughing, took me to the ladies, helped my wash it out of my hair and hid my jacket. I interviewed rather more casually dressed than normal. And got the job. Does happen, shouldn’t matter if it’s explained.

InterstellarSleepingElla Thu 05-Apr-18 10:08:41

No words of advice but just wanted to say sorry for yours and DH's loss.

I really hope the interview goes well for him.

thanks

Decasanova Thu 05-Apr-18 10:09:51

Bird defecating on you is meant to be lucky!grin

I hope your chap isn't too stressed and is able to excuse his attire and they are kind to him.

FloppyWollop Thu 05-Apr-18 11:38:44

How did he get on?

Mrsknackered Thu 05-Apr-18 12:57:00

Hi, he’s still there.

Not sure if he’s addressed it or not. It’s a final stage in a very lengthy process, so for him to miss out on it because of this would be very sad. It’s something he’s wanted for a long time!

BifsWif Thu 05-Apr-18 13:13:09

Keeping everything crossed for him!

LookImAHooman Thu 05-Apr-18 13:21:23

Argh. Whatever explanation he’s gone with, I really hope there’s good news soon flowers

BifsWif Thu 05-Apr-18 18:57:46

How did he get on?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: