Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Child benefits advice!?

(4 Posts)
Gemxo Fri 23-Mar-18 00:46:13

Hi all,

Just need some advice really,

I had my DS on the 30th of January 2018, he was registered in the 12th of March & I sent my form to claim child benefits the 12th of March.

Today I have received a payment for £82.80 which is 4 weeks worth of child benefits, but as far as I was aware aren't they meant to backdate to the day of birth or the Monday after? So I was expecting 7 weeks worth of child benefits not 4.

Would this mean I will get another payment next week for the other 4 weeks I'm owed or has there been a mistake there end?

He is 8 weeks old on Tuesday so as far as I'm aware I'm owed 8 weeks CB not 4.

Thanks for any advice

IsItThatTimeAlready131 Fri 23-Mar-18 01:58:26

Child benefit can be backdated for up to 12 weeks (or longer if there is a suitable reason for not getting it earlier), you will probably have to ask them for it as they pay you from the date you claimed, they don't automatically backdate it (after all, the child being claimed for might not have been living with the person claiming the benefit all of the time, therefore the claimant wouldn't be entitled to all the payment).

Give them a call and ask for it to be backdated.

ForTheLoveOfSleep Fri 23-Mar-18 02:05:32

If you are receiving it monthly then I assume that the £80 you have received is the first month's back pay and you will receive another £80 payment for this month on what will be your regular payment date.

IsItThatTimeAlready131 Fri 23-Mar-18 02:24:56

Do you have a letter confirming your child benefit? If so, it should say on there what the payments start date is. If not, you might get one in the next few days. I can't remember if child benefit is paid in advance or in arrears, so it's worth checking up on your start date.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: