Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Facebook and your data

(17 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 22-Mar-18 14:05:50

A branch off from this thread in site stuff:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/site_stuff/a3199266-MN-FB-marketing-companies-and-our-data

To talk about actual and potential reach of fb into apps and website you use and how to limit this. Some will be more tech savvy, so it's not a thread for bashing people over heads for being perceived to be naive.

I discovered that my settings were such that apps my friends used were potentially given permission to look at my own data including timeline posts.

GladAllOver Thu 22-Mar-18 14:22:38

Good idea to have a separate thread on this, but I hope anyone finding it here on Chat will go and read the other thread linked by Kitten above.

Somehow we need people to understand that just tying down personal security settings on Facebook, while good practice to stop casual evesdroppers, does not affect Facebook's owners' automatic reading and saving of everything that they post.

And if they use their FB login to access other sites like Mumsnet, they are telling FB as a minimum that they use MN and when they do so.

What we don't know yet is whether FB can also find out their MN username and therefore know everything they say on MN to add to Facebook's knowledge about them. That is something we urgently need to know about. MNHQ we are looking at you to find out.

Decasanova Thu 22-Mar-18 14:26:30

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/3200313-Facebook-users-check-your-settings

I removed loads of stuff I didn't know about!

ohfortuna Thu 22-Mar-18 17:06:40

What we don't know yet is whether FB can also find out their MN username and therefore know everything they say on MN to add to Facebook's knowledge about them
surely FB can, after all they have the username and the password, that's all they need to hoover up data from the account, they may say that they dont but if they have the keys to unlock a door we only have their word that they never use them

GladAllOver Thu 22-Mar-18 17:13:05

Hopefully MNHQ can confirm or deny that on the other thread.

mixture Thu 22-Mar-18 17:15:01

More likely if you use FB to log on to Mumsnet.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 22-Mar-18 19:30:18

I'm so sorry Deca, I would have jumped on to that thread had I seen it. In between work I've been looking at things. I downloaded my facebook data and found despite me not having download contacts automatically ticked on any of my devices, facebook has all of my phone numbers from my phone, including ones I added Saturday. I can only think that is through using messenger on my phone.

I now need to work out how to get them out of messenger again. grrr....

specialsubject Thu 22-Mar-18 19:40:40

I just wish the media and the government were as bothered about experian, a company with whom I have never dealt but who sent lots of UK data to the states by mistake, including mine. And then had it hacked. And then offered to help by a phone line staffed by incomprehensible call centre staff asking for more of my data...

No comeback, no punishment, nothing.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 22-Mar-18 20:14:12

I hadn't heard about that Special.
It's clearly a massive arena that has finally come under the spotlight, but for how long?

TheClaws Fri 23-Mar-18 01:53:21

Thanks for this thread OYBBK. I’ve stopped using FB to log in the MN, and happily I’m not having any issues with the site freezing or dropping me out so far. Before the Cambridge Analytica scandal, I had taken time anyway to tighten my FB permissions and security.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 23-Mar-18 10:08:53

I definitely recommend checking 'apps others use'. That was a scary revelation.

GladAllOver Fri 23-Mar-18 11:03:54

This is worth checking...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/newsbeat-43501075/facebook-data-what-the-social-media-giant-knows-about-you

ohfortuna Fri 23-Mar-18 11:39:19

Facebook is a honey Trap it lures you in with pleasurable Sweet treats, an easy convenient fun way to conduct your life via it's platform, its free and all your friends are there too

Of course it's a faustian Pact

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 23-Mar-18 13:09:58

It is sad A friend posted a fun game, I nearly fell for it this morning. doh.

It's also a powerful tool for good, I do a lot of positive stuff on there too.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 23-Mar-18 13:11:38

A quick question: Does messenger pass on phone contacts onto facebook? I can't work how fb seem to have all of my contacts in the data they hold about me - I don't have that enabled in my apps.

ohfortuna Fri 23-Mar-18 13:23:01

It's also a powerful tool for good, I do a lot of positive stuff on there too
Totally agree, I am no Luddite!
Modern technology is extremely useful and entertaining, we should be able to benefit from it without having to sell our souls to the Tech Giants.
After all in we are the ones who do the work to create sites, they are only valuable because everyone uses them.
Computing and social networks etc are a resource which everyone should have access to they should not be monopolised and milked for profit by the few

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 23-Mar-18 14:09:06

Hear Hear!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: