Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

As wedding poems go, I quite like this one. What do you think?

(35 Posts)
TabbyMack Thu 22-Mar-18 14:05:14

Received this morning:

Time, as we know, is the greatest of treasures
And time spent with friends one of life’s greatest pleasures
Now, should it transpire that your mind starts to drift
To what we might like for a wedding day gift
Well.....
A chunk of your time on a day of our choosing
For eating and dancing and plenty of boozing
Would fill us with joy and would grant all our wishes
Far more than a toaster or casserole dishes
For a couple like us who have quite enough stuff
The gift of your presence is more than enough

TabbyMack Thu 22-Mar-18 14:16:44

Well, I liked it anyway confused

ILookedintheWater Thu 22-Mar-18 14:18:33

It's a very long winded way of saying that they don't have a gift list! But yes, much better than asking for cash!

WhoUpsetTheEquilibrium Thu 22-Mar-18 14:19:25

It’s ok.

It’s the cheesy rhymes that make me itch.

MyKingdomForBrie Thu 22-Mar-18 14:22:22

It’s hideous. I mean just why?! A simple your presence is our present’ if you really need some kind of rhyming type thing, other wise just a polite ‘no gifts please’ type sentence.

That’s just a painful, contrived nightmare.

ferriswheel Thu 22-Mar-18 14:24:31

Sorry i think the poem is awful.

TabbyMack Thu 22-Mar-18 14:26:12

Yes, highly cheesy. But way better than some I’ve seen/received.

“Your presence is our present” is unoriginal in the extreme. I prefer this which has at least tried, imo.

Hardwickwhite Thu 22-Mar-18 14:27:19

I like it OP.

IAmMatty Thu 22-Mar-18 14:28:22

Icky!

spugzbunny Thu 22-Mar-18 14:30:56

Don't like it sorry! I don't see any issues with asking to cash though so maybe I'm trashy!

BennyTheBall Thu 22-Mar-18 14:34:18

It's a bit long!

But I loathe requests for cash, so at least they didn't do that.

irregularegular Thu 22-Mar-18 14:34:50

Sorry, but these things are ALWAYS naff. If you want to request no gifts, then just say no gifts. With a please or thank you. The longer it is the worse it gets!

SilverySurfer Thu 22-Mar-18 14:36:12

Nafftastic.

expatinscotland Thu 22-Mar-18 14:36:23

At least they didn't ask for cash. 'No gifts, please,' would have been far more succinct.

The worst are those hypocritical touts, 'Your presence is our presence but give us money.'

TabbyMack Thu 22-Mar-18 14:38:12

See..I quite like it. For a wedding poem.

I don’t like wedding poems. I don’t like mention of gifts (even if it’s no gifts) on an invite or requests for cash.

But, if there must be such a thing, it should at least rhyme, which this does just about.

So, I am reasonably impressed with this attempt, I have to say. But I was quite excited to post it here because....wedding poem!

TheRebel Thu 22-Mar-18 14:43:22

If you don’t want gifts then you don’t need to say anything. People will ask if they’re not sure but I think most people will bring something, even if it’s just a bottle of champagne.

irregularegular Thu 22-Mar-18 15:01:14

If you don’t want gifts then you don’t need to say anything

Depends on how much you really don't want gifts! We didn't say anything about gifts on our invitation, because that seemed polite. However we did actually have a gift list. Most people asked and then we gave them the information. However, a few people assumed that because we hadn't mentioned anything we didn't have a list and went ahead and bought us presents of a diverse nature. Which was absolutely fine - though some later protested that they would have rather chosen from a list if they'd known.

Anyway, the point is that if we'd not wanted gifts, those people would still have gone ahead and bought gifts if we didn't say anything. But probably wouldn't have done had we made it clear.

Decasanova Thu 22-Mar-18 15:05:08

MyKingdomForBrie

^^^. Exactly what this poster wrote!

A poem is necessary and that particular one is grim.

Decasanova Thu 22-Mar-18 15:05:54

^^ unnecessary

thatmustbenigelwiththebrie Thu 22-Mar-18 15:09:26

I'm afraid I think it's dreadful!

ohwhataday Thu 22-Mar-18 15:11:02

Are they saying no gifts or give us cash?
Think I'd be confused by this one.

Decasanova Thu 22-Mar-18 15:40:38

I wouldn't even read a poem on an invite, I only look for time, date and venue.

Decasanova Thu 22-Mar-18 16:02:30

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5532121/Meghan-Harrys-wedding-invites-printed-sent-out.html

I can't stand Her but this is how an invite should look, no silly poem in sight!

Isadora2007 Thu 22-Mar-18 16:14:56

Well. If you liked that invitation, you’ll love the reply I’ve written for you- you’re welcome.

Thank you dear friends for your wonderful invite-
Though Readers of Mumsnet considered it quite shite-
We were very happy, and I mean delighted
To read of your wedding to which we’re invited.
And to our delight, it became even better
As we read on in your poetical letter.
To share in your day won’t cost us a dime
And we also have promises of food and wine.
So thank you, we hope that our presence indeed
Will be all the present from us that you need.

BusySittingDown Thu 22-Mar-18 16:24:31

I think it’s better than some.

My sister, who is getting married soon, had two poems in hers shock. One to request no children and then another to request cash for honeymoon as a gift!

They made me cringe and think of MN. grin

I don’t understand why people need a poem! We didn’t do anything. We didn’t have a gift list, we didn’t ask for money. The invitations just said that the person was invited to the wedding love from Busy.

We didn’t expect gifts. Some people asked us what we wanted - I told them not to bring anything. Some brought us gifts anyway. If people brought gifts we accepted them in good faith, if not we were inviting them for their good company and because we love them. They don’t need a poem, surely.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: