Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Money or happiness?

(34 Posts)
littlemisscomper Thu 22-Mar-18 10:41:42

If you'd been out of work for a long time living on savings (29 years old, unmarried, no children) and you were offered these 2 jobs, which would you go for?

Job A - highly paid, prestigious, personality clashes with the boss and colleagues, exciting, exhausting, inflexible as to when days of leave are taken, long way from friends and family, often asked to do tasks that you feel morally unhappy about, if you can stick it for a couple of years you will afterwards be hugely employable and for a large salary.

Job B - very low paid, not at all prestigious, get on great with boss and colleagues, a bit mundane, flexible on days of leave, slightly closer to friends and family, tasks fit in with your morals and principles, job only expected to last about 4 years and no real improvement to employ-ability or prospective salaries.

Which one would you accept?

GreenSeededGrape Thu 22-Mar-18 10:43:59

Job a

NFATR Thu 22-Mar-18 10:44:00

Right now I'd take option A and try and make the best of it, for the money.
Other stages of my life I would have taken B.

Nobody can answer for you.

QuiteLikely5 Thu 22-Mar-18 10:47:04

A

Trooperslane2 Thu 22-Mar-18 10:49:18

I've just left A
I'd go for B, but my circumstances are different. (DD/DH)

renegadebehaviour Thu 22-Mar-18 10:53:27

A, definitely.

Speaking from experience of choosing B and giving up A now 15 years down the line and living in bone-weary stressful poverty in a rented house with no prospects having been on a fantastic career path in my twenties and turned away from it.

renegadebehaviour Thu 22-Mar-18 10:54:30

(by fantastic I mean lucrative and successful - not fun, if I could go back and choose fun, lucrative and successful I would!)

irregularegular Thu 22-Mar-18 10:55:18

Exciting, exhausting and inflexible is fine for a couple of years if it opens up further opportunities. Mundane can wear you down more.

I'd be more worried about doing tasks that you are morally unhappy about. That can be soul destroying and incompatible with being content I think. So it depends on how morally unhappy I think, and how much of the job that applies to. Very occasionally, or day in day out.

BigusBumus Thu 22-Mar-18 10:57:14

Job A for sure. You're at a time in your life where you have no real responsibilities.

Do Job A for a couple of years, be hugely employable, get another well paid but morally better job right before you have a partner/kids (if that's what you want one day).

You'd always regret it if you took Job B, in the long run.

BakerBear Thu 22-Mar-18 10:58:27

A personality clash with the boss is always a receipe for disaster! Would you be able to keep your head down and keep your mouth shut?

Money can contribute massively to happiness but sometimes its not worth it if the job is unbearable

DunnoWhy Thu 22-Mar-18 11:05:33

A for as long as you can carry on. If it doesn't break you, it'll make you stronger. If you feel that you had enough of it, you can quit and look for another job by which time you will have better prospects.
Sometimes we learn valuable things from people we think we would clash and it can turn out to be not so bad after all. Happened to me. If it happens, it's a wonderful feeling.
Equally other times we regret choosing something where there are people we would clash with. But unless you try, you won't really know.
Give a chance to A.

Vitalogy Thu 22-Mar-18 11:13:54

Morally unhappy What, hurting others?

Trooperslane2 Thu 22-Mar-18 11:14:02

Actually, that's my burned out body and brain talking.

A - but get out before you burn out.

You're very young for mundane and let me know what the mundane one is so I can apply for it

ArchchancellorsHat Thu 22-Mar-18 11:35:47

How bad are these things you're unhappy with ethically?

I think I'd try and suck up a couple of years at Job A and make the most of the opportunities it affords, depending on what the moral things are. I couldn't hurt people or animals, for example. It sounds like it might have more to offer and it doesn't sound like Job B would be hugely in demand so you could go back to it later.

RoryHatesCoffee Thu 22-Mar-18 11:36:31

A

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Thu 22-Mar-18 11:38:10

It really depends on whether I could support myself and still maintain a decent standard of living.

On balance probably job A.

Luckingfovely Thu 22-Mar-18 11:39:19

A.

Keep your head down and get on with it, with the bigger picture in mind.

ReversingSnail Thu 22-Mar-18 11:39:28

Today I'd say B because I know I couldn't deal with A. Years ago I would have chosen A, and if you are confident you can put up with it then it sounds worth it in the longer term.

GrannyGrissle Thu 22-Mar-18 11:40:23

Given your age/circumstances A. Get your head down for 2 years then take your foot off the accelerator if you feel the need to do so. 2 years is nothing.

Strawberrythief87 Thu 22-Mar-18 11:46:10

I'd go for job B, the major thing being the morally dubious. I couldn't do a job that I found morally dubious to get more money.
I'd take job B then look for better paying one elsewhere a year or so down the line if needs be

G5000 Thu 22-Mar-18 13:08:45

Just a couple of years - A, no questions. B seems like one of those 'bored wife needs a little hobby' type of dead end jobs, you're way too young for that.

Elementtree Thu 22-Mar-18 13:12:22

Job A.

People carry on as though happiness were the most important thing in life. Call me cynical but I think it is security.

Chienrouge Thu 22-Mar-18 13:18:08

I couldn’t compromise my morals for cash I don’t think, so probably B.
Or look for an option C!

LardLizard Thu 22-Mar-18 13:24:32

A while looking and planning. For option c

HollyBayTree Thu 22-Mar-18 13:26:50

A. Always A - then jump ship as soon a s possible . But you'd have to be a fairly strident and bolshy person to hold your own with collegues with whom you have personality clashes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: