Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

The French are to produce British passports , WTAF is that about ?

(46 Posts)
MayInStTropez Thu 22-Mar-18 10:07:20

Why can't it stay in Great Britain ? I'd rather pay more & keep control here

itstimeforanamechange Thu 22-Mar-18 10:10:52

What's wrong with Northern Ireland?

Anyway there's another thread on this.

NFATR Thu 22-Mar-18 10:15:58

Yeah, hows that sovereignity working out for ye? LOL.

MayInStTropez Thu 22-Mar-18 10:53:31

I give up itstimeforanamechange , what’s wrong with Northern Ireland ?

Helmetbymidnight Thu 22-Mar-18 10:56:08

You still haven't sussed out that Brexit is a load of bollocks?

Interesting.

NFATR Thu 22-Mar-18 10:56:39

I give up itstimeforanamechange , what’s wrong with Northern Ireland

you said why can't it stay in GB?

NameChanger22 Thu 22-Mar-18 11:01:31

I think it's funny. Why will we need passports anyway? Hardly anyone is going to be able to afford to use them.

BitOutOfPractice Thu 22-Mar-18 11:02:45

I'm so glad we are taking back control of our own sovereignty aren't you? <eyes roll out of head>

MayInStTropez Thu 22-Mar-18 11:24:57

Ah thank you NFATR I read that differently
What happens if the French decide to strike ?

hettie Thu 22-Mar-18 11:29:34

Oh FFS, this is exactly what competitive global markets look like, the best (often cheapest) bidder wins. Goods and services go to where stuff can be produced cheaply and services can be provided cheaply (as long as the stuff/service is not so shit that the consumer stops paying for it). We wanted a global open market remember? We didn't want to be within the protected market of the EU. Never mind the question of why we are spunking all that cash to turn our passports blue...

MayInStTropez Thu 22-Mar-18 11:35:35

Some things are worth paying for hettie
I’d rather it stayed here

beepbeeprichie Thu 22-Mar-18 11:37:11

I’m not a brexiteer. Get that out of the way. grin
Also, this is part of being in a free market- lowest tender wins.
But the French government only puts its passport making contract out to tender in France. Yet we are told that the U.K. government has gone with the cheapest bidder (by 50m) because to favour a U.K. manufacturer would breach EU rules. There is something fundamentally wrong with that.
The fact that this news is used as some sort of hilarious up yours to the Brexit crew is so disappointing. Sturgeon on this morning tweeting “lol”. I’m not clear if there will be any redundancies as a result of this but it’s all getting quite pathetic.

Bombardier25966 Thu 22-Mar-18 11:39:22

I'd rather pay more & keep control here

That's the kind of moronic thinking that is sending us to the dogs. Will you pay the additional £50m for those of us that didn't vote for this mess?

A4Document Thu 22-Mar-18 11:43:40

I am pro Brexit and it doesn't bother me at all. I don't care what colour passport it is either.

VladmirsPoutine Thu 22-Mar-18 11:43:44

Are you being facetious here?

It's due to state aid and public procurement rules.

RoryHatesCoffee Thu 22-Mar-18 11:47:09

I assume you only eat/use/consume things made entirely in the UK where no single piece of that product has had any involvement from anywhere outside the UK.

MayInStTropez Thu 22-Mar-18 11:48:41

Bombardier25966 who came up with that figure ?

MadameRaleuse Thu 22-Mar-18 11:52:42

"But the French government only puts its passport making contract out to tender in France. "

No. French passports are done by a state owned entity, l'Imprimerie Nationale. They don't go out to tender at all.

Britain chooses to put a tender out, anyone can bid, and it is blind.

It's public procurement and is normal when the state uses private firms. It means that governments can't be bought and tax payers' money is used sensibly. In theory.

France doesn't use a private entity but goes "in house" so to speak.

StrangeLookingParasite Thu 22-Mar-18 11:56:00

* Falls about laughing *

This sovereignty bull just ...aargh.

Helmetbymidnight Thu 22-Mar-18 12:04:31

You voted for us to become poorer and have far less influence/control - and you still don't even realise it yet.

Typical brexiteer.

A4Document Thu 22-Mar-18 12:07:37

Oh, it's going to be a sweeping generalisation thread again.

eurochick Thu 22-Mar-18 12:12:14

But the Brexiteers said they were alll for free trade. Surely this is a good thing, right?

Biber Thu 22-Mar-18 12:18:25

While we're pointing out that globalisation was just what the brexit voters wanted (forgetting our 50+ free trade deals with the rest of the word we already have due to our membership of the EU that we will lose), please don't forget to sign this petition.parliament.uk/petitions/205332/signatures/new

Helmetbymidnight Thu 22-Mar-18 12:41:06

Oh, it's going to be a sweeping generalisation thread again.

You thought the OP was talking sense with her? Why can't it stay in Great Britain ? I'd rather pay more & keep control here

Typical brexitteer.

We're losing influence, we're losing control, we're losing money.
Wake up.

Choccywoccyhooha Thu 22-Mar-18 12:48:28

Ohhh the irony! I did chuckle!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: