Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Would you be happy with these dinner options

(65 Posts)
AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 21-Mar-18 23:27:05

Having a gathering and planning a choice of 3 dishes
Lasagne
Spanish Chicken and chorizo stew
Veggie Chilli
With rice, tortilla chips, garlic bread green salad and winter slaw
No allergies etc
Just hoping to offer something to most tastes.
Also it’s on good Friday. Would you expect a fish option?

Giraffeski Wed 21-Mar-18 23:28:58

As long as theres a non meat option I think you're fine Good Friday wise.
That looks a lovely spread, can I come?

Xmasbaby11 Wed 21-Mar-18 23:30:04

Sounds lovely! A good range of choices.

KeepServingTheDrinks Wed 21-Mar-18 23:30:53

Please put me down for the lasagne. What time?

Decasanova Wed 21-Mar-18 23:32:10

I'm a vegetarian but I don't like veggie chilli, tortilla chips and I'm fussy about salad leaves so ill just have the garlic bread!

ZibbidooZibbidooZibbidoo Wed 21-Mar-18 23:33:08

Yes, shall I bring dessert?

UnimaginativeUsername Wed 21-Mar-18 23:34:16

This is MN, all you can possibly learn from this thread is that you can’t please everyone.
It sounds totally fine to me.

Ski40 Wed 21-Mar-18 23:39:40

Sounds fantastic! 😊
If you wanted to offer a fuss free fish option as well, you could always add smoked salmon, some garlic or sweet chilli prawns or maybe tinned crab with lemon mayo on toasted brown bread on the side?x

kierenthecommunity Wed 21-Mar-18 23:43:17

You could maybe swap the chilli and lasagne around, so meat chilli and veg lasagne in case you have veggies who don’t like spicy food. But like a PP said you’ll still probably have someone who doesn’t like that too!

I’ll eat any of those grin

Toomanyweeds Wed 21-Mar-18 23:43:59

Sounds good to me and I'm a right fussy fucker. I'll have the veggie chilli.

Toomanyweeds Wed 21-Mar-18 23:45:14

Nooooo - don't swap! Veggie lasagna is grim!

Acunningruse Wed 21-Mar-18 23:47:01

Honestly? For Good Friday I would expect fish, but I wouldn't expect a choice of main course. So personally for having people over on Good Friday I would do salmon en croute or something similar with new potatoes and a few veg dishes and then choice of pudding or cheese board so anyone who didn't like main could fill up on cheese.

kierenthecommunity Wed 21-Mar-18 23:47:05

I once made Jamie Oliver’s cauliflower and broccoli cannelloni as a veggie option. It’s way nicer than it sounds grin

TeeBee Wed 21-Mar-18 23:47:38

I'd eat any of that. Sounds good.

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 21-Mar-18 23:48:23

As far as I know I don’t actually have any veggies coming but I eat veggie a lot and thinks it’s good to have a veggie option

furlinedsheepskinjacket Wed 21-Mar-18 23:50:16

i'm a non spicy loving veggie - could you put a few veg sausages in?

OliviaStabler Wed 21-Mar-18 23:50:33

While I'd love it, I have older family members who wouldn't eat any of it as they are meat and two veg types. They'd eat the salad and possibly garlic bread but nothing else.

BackforGood Wed 21-Mar-18 23:51:22

I think they all sound lovely, but if I were going to someone's house for a meal, I wouldn't expect a big choice like that. You are spoiling them. smile

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 21-Mar-18 23:53:51

It’s more of a hot, eat with a fork, buffet kind of gathering, rather than sit round a table event so I don’t think salmon en croute would work.

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 21-Mar-18 23:54:57

I think the oldest person will be about 60 and I know them well, they will eat any of it.

JustPutSomeGlitterOnIt Wed 21-Mar-18 23:57:43

Having grown up in a Catholic house I'm a little surprised you're having a gathering on Good Friday. But I think I'm in the minority there.

I think the foods sound very nice, easy proper hot food that can still be perched on a knee. I'd only positively expect fish if you had a pescetarian going really.

IamPickleRick Thu 22-Mar-18 00:00:13

Fish on Good Friday. Always.

Lalliella Thu 22-Mar-18 00:00:54

I’m Catholic so it’d be full on fish and veggie options only for me on that day. And hot cross buns for pudding. Depends on your guests really. No way would I serve meat though.

Cavender Thu 22-Mar-18 00:02:17

Sounds lovely to me and I wouldn’t expect fish.

AdaColeman Thu 22-Mar-18 00:03:21

I'm not keen on spicy stuff so it would have to be the lasagna for me, unless you changed the chicken dish to something without chorizo, maybe chicken and lemon or coq au vin.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: