Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Newborn breastfeeding 24/7! help! is this normal???!

(48 Posts)
milkshakeQ Wed 21-Mar-18 22:54:00

She's been feeding literally all day and night since day 2. Is this normal?! I know the midwife did say that it will feel like you're feeding non stop round the clock but I thought she was just exaggerating!

I'm worried that she's not getting enough milk from me. When does it get better?! I need sleep!

PoliticalBiscuit Wed 21-Mar-18 22:56:55

How long is she continuously feeding for? Is she having wet and dirty nappies?

TeddyIsaHe Wed 21-Mar-18 22:57:04

Yes it’s absoluely normal! She’s getting your milk in - it WILL die down soon, but at the minute she’s getting your supply up and running so your body knows exactly how much milk to make to date her hunger.

So, on the sofa, dvds and snacks and drink tons of water! Seriously, a pint at least every 1.5 hours.

At night try the laying down feeding so you can at least rest a bit. This bit doesn’t last very long, in a couple of days she’ll start spacing out her feeds more and more.

Congrats on your lovely new baby!

Laquila Wed 21-Mar-18 23:02:58

When you say she’s been literally feeding all day and night, do you mean she hasn’t slept? Or she’s fed whilst sleeping?

I know it feels as though they never unlatch - I remember this bit very clearly! - but can you try and be more specific about duration of feeds?

milkshakeQ Wed 21-Mar-18 23:06:04

Forgot to say shes 5 days old. I've had a breastfeeding adviser visit me who said latch etc was fine.

The feeding is literally all day. She'll feed for around ten minutes, and then 5 minutes later wants a feed again. This is at night as well. I've had the odd hour break here and there when she's slept in my arms.

When does it improve? Are talking days or weeks??! Noone told me it was this bad!

milkshakeQ Wed 21-Mar-18 23:09:35

She did around 4 wet nappies and 2 poos today.

When she feeds she sort of does it with her eyes closed and then usually falls asleep and comes off. She has only a couple of times in the day where she is awake and alert so I guess she's sort of sleeping the rest of the time.

Windyone Wed 21-Mar-18 23:09:53

It sounds normal from my experience. I think after 10 - 14 days for me it started to get a bit easier. I then started co-sleeping which I hadn't intended to do but I had to get some sleep at that point.

RockCrushesLizard Wed 21-Mar-18 23:10:02

What have her nappies been like? Has she poo-ed today?
Some babies feed a lot because they aren't terribly efficient at it, nappies will tell you if there's enough milk going in. Is she literally latched on for eg five of every six hours or is it more like ten minutes every half hour?

RockCrushesLizard Wed 21-Mar-18 23:10:31

Cross post with the nappy info!

NaturWilde Wed 21-Mar-18 23:11:53

Normal, yes! Your milk should be in now, or very nearly in. You’ll see a huge difference every few days and after a few weeks it does get easier! Sounds like you’re doing a great job.

Isadora2007 Wed 21-Mar-18 23:13:44

Totally normal and healthy. Congratulations and well done for surviving these early days! It does get easier, honestly!!! brew

pimlicolife Wed 21-Mar-18 23:16:32

Normal smile

It gets a lot easier really quickly! Hang in there.

MrsFrTedCrilly Wed 21-Mar-18 23:18:08

I know it doesn’t feel like it but in my experience it is very normal and totally exhausting. I hope you’ve got some support where you are and you can rest as much as you can. It will get better, congratulations on your baby flowers

milkshakeQ Wed 21-Mar-18 23:22:13

RockCrushesLizard poos were very small though so not sure if they should be. Is 4 wet and 2 poo nappies for a 5 day old sound ok?

Midwife will be coming tomorrow so I will be asking her too.

Ouchy Wed 21-Mar-18 23:33:32

Normal (provided you're getting the wet nappies - which you say you are).

It is hard but in my experience the perseverance is worth it. Believe it or not you'll look back on these days fondly!

Congratulations on your baby

Nottalotta Wed 21-Mar-18 23:42:12

One of mine was like this OP, he also didn't regain his birth weight for 3.5 weeks. What made a big difference for me was breastfeeding compressions while feeding and switch feeding. Good luck and congratulations!

CareFactor Wed 21-Mar-18 23:47:14

It’s normal to feed a lot in the first few days but if she doesn’t seem satisfied after a feed then I’d think about getting her tongue checked for tongue tie, ideally by a lactation consultant.

GiraffesCantDoMentalArithmetic Wed 21-Mar-18 23:52:52

If you make a OK sign with your fingers, the circle you make with your index finger and thumb is about how big a poo should be to "count" as a dirty nappy.

Good luck - it improves really quickly. She'll probably have a better day tomorrow or the day after, then do this again in about a week.

milkshakeQ Wed 21-Mar-18 23:56:18

CareFactor yes the breastfeeding adviser did say if she doesn't improve then to get her tongue checked out by her trained colleague.

Waitingonasmiley42 Thu 22-Mar-18 00:03:34

Totally normal and the first 2/3 weeks are,in my experience, incredibly relentless, painful and hard. If you haven't already, buy Lansinoh nipple cream and Mam compresses. It's so worth it in the end and should eventually be pain-free and less frequent.

I read advice somewhere to "Never quit on a bad day." and it's so true.

On the other hand, if you do stop then baby will be perfectly happy with formula. Don't feel any guilt about your feeding choice and your wellbeing is so important.

Good luck and congratulations on your new baby. thanks

MrsJonesAndMe Thu 22-Mar-18 06:35:09

Sounds very normal. If you don't Lasinoh cream, can I suggest you get some to prevent getting sore.

Good luck!

fluffonthesideboard Thu 22-Mar-18 06:41:44

The amount of nappies doesnt soundngood. You want at least 8 tbh. Between 8-12 is normal. When she goes flutte feed she awake and feeding or does she fall asleep and flutter feeding?

HopeAndJoy16 Thu 22-Mar-18 07:09:27

This might be useful for you kellymom.com/hot-topics/newborn-nursing/. There's also plenty of breastfeeding support Facebook groups which I found really useful. I found it encouraging to know there were others in the same position as me! I'm on a local one moderated by a nurse and ibclc lactation consultant.
When you feel up to getting out, see if there are any local breastfeeding groups you can pop along to. Again, it may help meeting other mums also going through / have been through those relentless first weeks.

It does get better! My lg settled into a pattern of cluster feeding from 4-9pm from quite early on. What got me through the early days was repeating "this doesn't last forever" "one feed/day/night at a time". I got through a good few series of the Walking Dead and listened to podcasts overnight.

You sound like you're doing a great job smile

milkshakeQ Thu 22-Mar-18 07:26:07

fluffonthesideboard the lactation consultant said that she should get same number as wet nappies as she is days old. So I thought 4 wet and and one poo was ok for a 5 day old.

It's all so confusing. Midwife is coming today so will speak to her. But I will ask breastfeeding support to visit me again if they can too.

milkshakeQ Thu 22-Mar-18 07:40:07

HopeAndJoy16 thanks for that link. It was really useful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: