Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

NHS staff - how will you vote to the pay rise offer?

(60 Posts)
KitKat1985 Wed 21-Mar-18 19:17:18

For those unaware, NHS staff on the current agenda-for-change pay scales are going to have the government pay offer proposed today put to them by their unions for a vote by the Summer. If members accept then the pay increase will be back-dated to April 2018.

Full details here:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43481341

There is also a calculator online here to show you what the pay increase will mean for you individually (although it keeps crashing due to high volume of users so you may need to try a few times):

www.nhspay.org/pay-calculator

Personally I'm a band 6 charge nurse and I'll vote to accept them. I don't think we're likely to get a much better offer and I like the fact that the offer will benefit those staff on the lowest rungs of the pay ladder the most (my band 2 HCA's are usually doing at least 1-2 extra shifts a week just to make ends meet right now, and deserve a decent pay rise).

How are you planning to vote?

roziro Wed 21-Mar-18 19:50:36

I agree you should take the offer. In Scotland it looks like we're being offered about half of that despite what the news says. Plus only paybands up to 35k or so will get the full rise, above that salary the rise will be much less, around 1-2%. Bear in mind the rise will be coming out of health boards allocated existing budget- there won't be extra/ new money to pay for it, so even more money will need to be saved to pay for the rise.

FrogCow Wed 21-Mar-18 19:55:03

I will vote to accept them. I’m a one up from the bottom rung band 5 staff nurse.

AgathaMystery Wed 21-Mar-18 19:58:25

It won't really affect me but I'd like to see my staff rewarded. Bearing in mind we are looking at a 14% pay cut in the past decade (in real terms) 6% over 3 yrs is shite. But it's all we are going to get.

Roll on 2020 when they tax the pension lump sum at 40%. Bastards.

WillWorkForShoes Wed 21-Mar-18 21:39:15

I will probably vote to accept, although I do need to investigate more how it will affect me personally.
I am VERY suspicious about the withdrawn 'lose a days annual leave' as I suspect it was only ever mooted as something to make us think 'thank god we don't have to lose any leave' when the 'real' offer came in so I am looking for hidden disadvantages.

Rarotonga Wed 21-Mar-18 21:43:00

I will accept. Band 6 therapist.

pointythings Wed 21-Mar-18 21:45:24

I'm top of band 5 non-clinical, not in a union, but I would accept just to see the very lowest paid get a decent rise. For me it would be nice to get a little something, but I'm on a decent wage for what I do, and I'd really like to see porters and HCAs get a decent improvement in their pay.

PsychedelicSheep Wed 21-Mar-18 21:52:44

Band 7 senior therapist (psychological). Will probably offer to accept if I get the chance, although am up for some strike action too if it comes to it.

lifechangesforever Wed 21-Mar-18 21:54:42

Band 7 (non patient facing) and currently don't see me voting against it.

Worieddd Wed 21-Mar-18 21:54:49

Band 7 HCP here. Will accept.

lifechangesforever Wed 21-Mar-18 21:57:01

Looks like that calculator has had too much traffic! It's currently down envy

MrsJoshDun Wed 21-Mar-18 21:57:31

Top of band 6.

I feel it’s an under inflation pay rise and will not be in a hurry to accept.

werewolfhowls Wed 21-Mar-18 22:21:35

I don't work for the NHS but I feel strongly that they deserve more, I did think it sounded fair dos until I heard the explanation about what it would mean in real terms.

Featherbag Wed 21-Mar-18 22:24:27

I'm lower-middle band 6 and I'll be accepting. I'm sure there's a catch somewhere though!

WillWorkForShoes Wed 21-Mar-18 22:42:46

Featherbag, I suspect the catch is this is a UK Wide NHS deal (as I understand it).
In the past, lone groups have gone on strike (junior doctors, radiographers etc; to be fair, nurses never strike on principle.)
If we all worked together and stood together we would be formidable.
But we never stand together, it's too disparate. It's too big a group and that's what the Government count on.

Glitterbugg Wed 21-Mar-18 22:47:53

Pictures here cos the calculator crashes, I’m a b6 and although I realise it’s still less than inflation has been etc, I think it’s the best deal we’ll get!

worcestersauce29 Wed 21-Mar-18 22:54:03

longest serving, smallest benefit......good old unions !

AnyFucker Wed 21-Mar-18 22:55:43

Has the lose a days AL been withdrawn then ?

SweetLike Wed 21-Mar-18 22:57:45

According to that table incremental points are changing. Looks like you'll get stuck on a salary point sooner which means being well and truly stuck at the government's mercy for a pay rise. Given the 1% cap, do we really think they'll keep on increasing salaries after another three years..? Knew there was a catch. Et voila, folks...

pourmeanotherglass Wed 21-Mar-18 23:05:21

Looks to me like they want to get rid of pay bands, and are making the first step towards this. Those who have been stuck at the top of their pay band so had no pay rise for the last few years fare the worst.

NewMe18 Wed 21-Mar-18 23:08:18

Bottom of the rung band 3, I’m not sure if I’ll accept or not

MyKingdomForBrie Wed 21-Mar-18 23:08:58

Pretty shit for the Drs really isn’t it.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Wed 21-Mar-18 23:18:55

I’d just noticed that sweet.

By the looks of it I’m getting a pay rise but dropping an incremental point. The same scale point but on the next band up gets a larger pay rise although we currently have the same salary. Actually the two lower incremental points will also be earning more than me as well.

Aliasgrace1 Wed 21-Mar-18 23:21:44

I qualify in 4 months time and if I was allowed to vote, I'd vote accept

willstarttomorrow Wed 21-Mar-18 23:24:10

I am no longer NHS and now work in social care. Having heard this offer on the radio today I felt slightly envious (used to be a nurse but now requalified as SW). However I am mindful I was talking to someone recently who is employed as a clinic nursing sister on a band 6 payscale and school nurses I work with who are stuck at the high end of band 5! In the olden days late DP was band i and I started post qualifacation as an E grade in cardiology as there was such a shortage (everyone wanted icu or a&e). No way would anyone running a clinic been employed at below band 7 even a few years ago.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: