Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

ESTA help!

(7 Posts)
Delatron Wed 21-Mar-18 13:27:59

In a rush and just applied for an ESTA, googled and an official looking site came up so entered details, payment. Then after that, in small print it says $88 will be taken from my card. Argggh. I never normally get scammed. Yes I know I have been very stupid.

After some googling in seems it is not worth pursuing them for the money, if they cancel the whole thing then you are not allowed to reapply for an ESTA for years, it will be refused.

Anyone been in his situation? I have no idea whether I'll get the ESTA. No email confirmation has come through. Yet if I reapply and one is being processed that will be refused too and I think void the other one. Help!

alwaysthepessimist Wed 21-Mar-18 13:29:48

esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html?execution=e1s1

Here is the link to the help section - I suggest you contact them and explain and see what they suggest

alwaysthepessimist Wed 21-Mar-18 13:31:14

I'VE BEEN CHARGED MORE THAN US $14.00 FOR ESTA, WHY?
There are a number of third parties that have established websites that charge a fee for submitting your application on your behalf. If you have used one of these third party sites, we strongly suggest you use your application number to confirm with the official U.S. government site to ensure that your ESTA is in our system. We recommend you do this because we have no way of knowing if the information passed through the third party website to us is accurate. If it is not, you may have a problem when you arrive in the U.S.

For instructions on how to look up your ESTA, see the help topic "Checking Your ESTA Status".

CBP cannot refund the money you paid to a third party website, however if you think you have been victimized, contact your bank , credit/debit card company, or PayPal and request a refund of any amount over the US $14.00 required by the U.S. government by disputing the add-on charges on your statement.

alwaysthepessimist Wed 21-Mar-18 13:31:58

this is what I can find on the official site - hope that helps and you get you money back & your ESTA approved!

Delatron Wed 21-Mar-18 13:35:46

Thanks alwaysthepessimist there's nothing in the official system yet.
I am going to contact the link you sent, thank you.
I read the problem with going through the back to get the refund is they take the whole amount then the ESTA is cancelled and you can't reapply!! Argghh. From what I've read people are saying chalk it down to experience.

So, I think I need to check it's going through and then work out if I write the money off or not.

anothersuitcase Wed 21-Mar-18 13:37:57

My friend did this and she still got her esta. I think the scam aspect is usually they are charging you got something that is available for free, not that they are claiming to submit and esta application and not doing it. I would wait few days before doing anything as you may get a confirmation

Delatron Wed 21-Mar-18 13:43:18

Yes I think it's a site that 'organises' the ESTA for you and takes and massive cut. (Whilst having an official 'US Customs' logo and coming up first in a Google search.)
I'm not travelling for a week and a half so can wait for a few days.
Texted my husband in a blind panic and he said he's done the same thing and got a refund so feel slightly better.
Thanks all for your help!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: