Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Cooked chicken dish left out overnight.

(37 Posts)
MsMarvel Wed 21-Mar-18 13:18:39

Cooked chicken, chorizo spinach cheese dish left in a pot overnight on the cooker top. Is this fine to still eat?

I say yes, dp says no.

InDubiousBattle Wed 21-Mar-18 13:20:42

No. But I'd probably still eat it anyway. Will it be thoroughly re heated? I wouldn't give it to my kids though.

VegasWithRadishes Wed 21-Mar-18 13:21:37

I'm a chef and pretty lax with hygiene rules (at home) I also almost never pay attention to use by dates (again, at home only).
I would bin it in seconds.. whether at home or at work.
sorry.

MsMarvel Wed 21-Mar-18 13:22:27

It would be thoroughly reheated... Damn I was hoping mumsnet would agree with me!

GrowThroughWhatYouGoThrough Wed 21-Mar-18 13:33:26

I'd eat it as long as reheated thoroughly

bluddyknackered Wed 21-Mar-18 13:44:49

I think it depends how cool your kitchen is. Ours is freezing overnight at this time of year, so I'd reheat it thoroughly and eat it (I wouldn't give it to guests or children, though, just in case).

pombal Wed 21-Mar-18 13:52:54

Bin now - there’s no saving this one.

CompleteAisling Wed 21-Mar-18 13:56:25

I'd use it, but then my kitchen was at least as cold as my fridge overnight. In fact it might have frozen!

If you are in a normal house with heating, I'd chuck it.

Minus1 Wed 21-Mar-18 13:57:09

I wouldn’t.

usercantsleep Wed 21-Mar-18 13:58:17

I totally would and have done this for decades and live to tell the tale!
Ps link to recipe? Sounds bloody brilliant?! X

MsMarvel Wed 21-Mar-18 14:30:31

Its from one of the lean in 15 recipe books, cant remember which one though!

It really is lovely which is why I'm so sad about having to throw it away 😢

Didntcomeheretofuckspiders Wed 21-Mar-18 14:38:11

I’d eat it. And I’m pregnant. We rarely bother fridging leftovers overnight. My mum never did either and I’ve lasted this long.

TimeIhadaNameChange Wed 21-Mar-18 14:39:29

I'd eat it.

Katedotness1963 Wed 21-Mar-18 14:42:55

I'd chuck it.

BoldKitties Wed 21-Mar-18 14:43:01

I would for sure. I had leftover salt and chilli chicken from the Chinese that was left out on the kitchen table overnight on Sunday. Ate it cold for my lunch on Monday, didn't even bother with the reheating. It was delicious and I suffered no ill effects. But I often eat cold leftovers that have been sitting out so perhaps I'm a bit disgusting grin.

StylishMummy Wed 21-Mar-18 14:45:52

Our kitchen is COLD overnight so I'd eat it

BoldKitties Wed 21-Mar-18 14:46:10

Didntcomeheretofuckspiders, my Mum didn't either. A pot of stew / pasta / whatever would just be left sitting on the hob overnight, then be heated up for dinner the next night. Was always delicious. Though I used to love a big bowl of Mum's beef stew served cold straight from the pot the next day. Yeah, I seem to have a thing for cold leftovers!

juneybean Wed 21-Mar-18 14:48:18

I'd eat it... I'm very lax though.

MsHomeSlice Wed 21-Mar-18 14:53:13

i'd eat it, not a second thought!

I did a small leg of lamb in the slow cooker yesterday, switched it off and meant to put it in the fridge later once it was cool and completely forgot about it so it just sat in the slow cooker until I got down this morning and saw it there! Wheecked it all into the fridge and we will be having lamb biryani for supper tonight.

ItsuAddict Wed 21-Mar-18 15:06:16

I'd throw it away. DEFINITELY.

My MIL would serve it to everyone for dinner, and then leave it out on the worktop again, and serve it again tomorrow (because no one ate it the first two times) grin

ItsAllABitStrangeReally Wed 21-Mar-18 15:11:08

Depends on how cold your kitchen Is........we rarely refrigerate leftovers but our kitchen is often 1 degree above freezing at this time of year.........I've just checked now and it's only 5 degrees despite it being the mildest it's been for months

SeaToSki Wed 21-Mar-18 15:16:28

IF you have a food thermometer, see what the temp of the chicken is. If it is 40f or below, you can keep it. If it is higher, it will have been breeding germs all night

Megatron Wed 21-Mar-18 15:19:30

Throw it.

tkband3 Wed 21-Mar-18 15:22:04

I would chuck it. I'm always really careful with chicken though. I'd probably chuck a red meat dish in the fridge to be thoroughly reheated later on and eat it with no qualms, but I just wouldn't take the risk with chicken.

halfwitpicker Wed 21-Mar-18 16:04:52

I'd eat it no problem.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: