Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Are reusable nappies a huge faff?

(52 Posts)
AintNobodyHereButUsChickens Wed 21-Mar-18 07:50:29

Due with DC2 in 6 weeks and I’m contemplating buying reusable nappies this time as they’re much more eco friendly than disposables. This set looks good, I think...? But it doesn’t really tell you exactly how they work, what does a nappy change involve if the ‘outer’ is reusable several times without needing to be washed? And how do they last from birth-potty? I’m so confused grin so if someone could talk me through them step by step that would be great grin

Decasanova Wed 21-Mar-18 07:53:47

Mine are adults now but I used washable nappies for both. I suspect today's ones are even more fantastic than the ones I used.

I absolutely hate disposeable nappies used all the time and my personal view is they should only be used when there really isn't an option to wash or store the washable ones.

hibbledibble Wed 21-Mar-18 07:54:27

I love reusables. So much better for the environment: less landfill and carbon footprint.

There are lots of different types of cloth nappies and it can be daunting to start off with. Do you have a local cloth nappy library? They can advise you and lend you kits so you decide what you like best.

JustTerfingAlong1 Wed 21-Mar-18 07:56:11

I like reusable nappies. I especially like washable wipes as they actually clean poo off rather than smearing it around like "normal" wipes, and you just chuck them in the bucket with the nappies.

From birth to about 3 months I use folded Muslins in a sized wrap. Personally I used the miosoft ones. Then from about 3 months to 3 years I use birth to potty pocket nappies. Below 3 months they are just too big on my skinny legged babies.
Most of my nappies have done all 3 babies so well worth it and they were pretty cheap - little bloom from Amazon or TJnappies.

I just chuck them in a lidded nappy bucket with a liner (totsbots were the best) then every 2-3 days I put the whole liner in the washing machine and wash the bucket.
I then do a rinse followed by a 60deg wash with extra rinse. Tumble dry and job done smile

AintNobodyHereButUsChickens Wed 21-Mar-18 07:57:14

No hibble, nothing like that here. We’re a pretty deprived area. We don’t have a sling library close by either hmm

senioritabonita Wed 21-Mar-18 07:57:26

I used them for dd12 and ds14. I used old fashioned terries at home and had a few fancy covers/wraps I was given for when we were out and about. I found it very easy, so so so much cheaper and as a bonus they were both out of nappies and dry at night by 2 years old. I highly recommend it. Routine is everything when you use washables.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Wed 21-Mar-18 07:59:12

They're more faff than disposables of course but it's manageable.

AintNobodyHereButUsChickens Wed 21-Mar-18 07:59:41

And what are ‘boosters’?? confused

Decasanova Wed 21-Mar-18 07:59:46

The Ines I your link look lovely. Not dissimilar to what I used.

I had three lots of 18 in three different sizes.

I never pre soaked mine, I just had a bucket to place them in, solids shook into the toilet and then nappies washed in Fairy. Line dry in the summer and then I dried mine in the winter in the bathroom with a rack that went over the radiator.

I never had any problems and I was even able to sell them on at a NCT sake after they had been used by my two as they still looked in mint condition.

Both of mine were potty trained much earlier than I see children are often potty trained today and I can't help but wonder if that's down to disposeable nappies being so popular!

Prusik Wed 21-Mar-18 08:01:22

I found the leaks to be problematic. Tried them with ds1 and stopped. I still have them so am tempted to try again with ds2

PinkSquash Wed 21-Mar-18 08:02:48

I loved cloth nappies with DS2. I found Tots Bots and close pop ins were the best.

There's a 'Cloth Bum Mums' page on Facebook and they may have details on someone who can show you the various types of nappies and loan you some.

I didn't use cloth with DS2 as a new born as I couldn't deal with the meconium, but after that it was great

AlbusPercival Wed 21-Mar-18 08:03:50

I thought they would be a faff so have only just made the change. DS is 15 months

Actually no harder than pampers.

We have tots bots stars.

In terms of puttting them on you put the nappy flat like you would with a disposable, lay a liner on it (in the roll in the photo) put baby on and Velcro up.

When changing nappy you remove it, flush liner down loo, chuck nappy in bucket.

When bucket is full empty into washing machine. You have to use a powder, not a liquid.

Once dry the boosters are popped back into the pocket and are ready ti go again.

There are some super cute prints too

Swifey Wed 21-Mar-18 08:06:03

Why not try Nature Babycare nappies by Naty. They are fantastic, very absorbent, no leaks, and the best thing about them is that they are biodegradable! I use their wipes and nappy sacks too, as they are all biodegradable. They are more expensive that normal nappies, but I order in bulk from Boots and then use all the points I collect to buy more.

Chocolala Wed 21-Mar-18 08:06:34

We’ve always used them as I couldn’t stand the thought of adding so much to landfill. Bought most second hand, they’ve been through a minimum of 2 kids (some many more), and saved us hundreds of pounds.

43percentburnt Wed 21-Mar-18 08:08:10

We liked them. Faves were the inner of little lamb (micro fibre and bamboo for overnight) two part nappy’s (5 for £25) combined with little lamb bamboo boosters and little lamb fluffy inserts. But instead of little lamb outers we bought blueberry wraps.

I bought lots of different brands bum genius are good too.I got cheap new born ones from eBay for tiny babies (4lb) up and used these for months too.

We had 3 in cloth, all three were fully day time potty trained by their second birthday - no idea if it’s coincidence. We still use cloth at night for our 2 year old twins.

You need a lidded bucket (£5 Amazon not £15 from a baby shop)and use a Muslin with tea tree to stop the smell. Draped over the nappies under the lid.

Chocolala Wed 21-Mar-18 08:08:17

Look up ‚the nappy lady‘ for advice n what types are available and advice on what would suit you. Then get added to the nappy lady buy and sell Facebook group to purchases second hand smile

Anatidae Wed 21-Mar-18 08:13:34

I looked into it but decided against for a few reasons:

1. Had severe HG and the nausea didn’t really stop after birth - any strong smells like poo in the house made me miserable and no bucket or bin I’ve ever seen at friends places contains the smell (they disagree, but I could always smell it.)
2. Our waste does does not go to landfill where we live - we have a very fancy eco incinerator and biogas system. That removed the landfill guilt.

Friends use them and get along with them very well. I think it’s probably quite individual. Some of the suppliers have starter packs so maybe you could try them for a relatively small outlay before shelling out?

I also tried naty but they didn’t work for us at all - again I think nappy brands are slightly different shapes so what fits a solid baby might gape or leak on a skinny one. We used libero in the end and they worked well.

PlowerOfScotland Wed 21-Mar-18 08:14:54

I loved them. Only had them in newborn size - 3 months as we couldn't afford to buy the next size up.
Going to dig them out for this baby. So excited for them all drying on the line in the sunshine.

JustTerfingAlong1 Wed 21-Mar-18 08:15:36

I have never bothered with a liner. Just tip poo down the loo and scrape any off with the washable wipe is sufficient.

Schlimbesserung Wed 21-Mar-18 08:18:11

The ones you linked to are prefolds, which I didn't really get on with and I found that Bambino Mio covers leaked. There are loads of types though and you can get plenty of good advice. I used Tots Bots nappies mostly, with Motherease covers, but also Minki pocket nappies (I found that twinkleontheweb.co.uk were good for both advice and delivery).
Some councils offer free or discounted nappy trial kits, so it's worth checking.

Thebookswereherfriends Wed 21-Mar-18 08:18:27

I really wanted to use reusable nappies, but despite trying 3 different types and getting advi e from the nappy lady online, my daughter got quite severe nappy rash every time. I would recommend buying just a few to start with or borrowing from someone to see how you get on. I ended up using the Naty disposables because at least they were biodegradable.

Anatidae Wed 21-Mar-18 08:19:23

I wish we had the kind of tippable poos... ours are all, still, massive nappy filling non solid blowouts (another reason we never went the reusable route.)

keepitgoing Wed 21-Mar-18 08:19:23

I guess they are a little more faff, but cheaper, better for the environment, and cheaper. I'd second do the nappies lady questionnaire before buying, and not buying too much before the baby is born and you can see what you like

(There are poppers to change the rise so they can be birth to potty)
I use Bambino miosolo, they are great, dry fast. Really wish I'd used cloth with my first
We are away at the moment using disposable as no washing machine and the nappy bin reeks!

#makeclothmainstrwam

keepitgoing Wed 21-Mar-18 08:20:36

Ps I'm not sure the 'biodegradable' ones can actually biodegrade in landfill

katmarie Wed 21-Mar-18 08:22:58

We got a rented set from the nappy lady to try out cloth nappies. We got on really well with them, but my ds has already grown out of the newborn size at 8 weeks, his thighs are too fat! So I've ordered in some motherease all in ones to try instead

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: